ok so my band have nearly finished our first song. Yay. the problem is our bassist.
he cant really write music and so he asked me (the guitarist) to do it and he will just play it. so what are some good tips for writing bass parts.
hire me... I'll write it and play it...

<_<
>_>

dammit I need a band
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I wouldn't write it for him, but write it with him. Encourage him to think of stuff on his own and learn. It will be better for the band in the long run, you guys will get to know each other better as musicians, and it will help for the overall evolution of your music.
bass guitar in most songs is usualy just the root note of the chords so em would be 0 on the e string or if its a powerchord would be 7 on the a string etc
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
Quote by Rg-350DMX *SD*
bass guitar in most songs is usualy just the root note of the chords so em would be 0 on the e string or if its a powerchord would be 7 on the a string etc

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
the thing is weve all been friends for a few years now so we dont really want to kick him out and thanks for the other suggestions ill try writing it with him
Quote by Rg-350DMX *SD*

u have a lot more to understand in music young one
Quote by notsominidude
the thing is weve all been friends for a few years now so we dont really want to kick him out and thanks for the other suggestions ill try writing it with him

its the same path i took with our bassist, i gave him understanding of what goes on, and now he brings his own stuff to the table
unless i have a SMASHING idea lol
Quote by Martindecorum
rooster nailed it.

Help him out so there and work with him, give him the roots of which u play as ground points

Yep... from there he can go ahead and throw in some 5ths, 7ths, 3rds, 4ths, and octaves. Those are probably the most important and easiest notes that will spice up the bass line.

I personally don't think coming up with decent bass lines is too complicated, or at least i don't have many problems with it.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Rhythm-wise, suggest he follow closely what the drummer's bass drum is doing for a basis - unless you just want him following the guitar
The same thing happened with Victor Wooten back when I was playing skin flute for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Poor guy didn't know what he was doing, I taught him everything.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410