Hi, i don't play bass but i have a friend who's in the market for a new one instead of his crappy pawn shop one so i thought i could get some good suggestions for him because i myself am not really educated on bass gear.

I asked him and he said that as for a budget he would NOT go over $1000 AUD, as in that was as much as he could possibly spend. He said he want's a versatile bass but from what i know he's in to some metal so it should be able to do that. He said he want's active pickups but i'm sure i could talk him into passive if he has the wrong idea (i dont know how actives affect basses). Also, i don't know if he would go used but i think he doesn't mind as he recently bought a used pedal and i'm sure i could convince him if he would be getting a really good deal.

He has some crappy peavey bass amp but even though a better amp would affect his tone more (as i told him) he's set on a new guitar so don't bother suggesting that. Thanks in advance.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
www.basscentre.com.au
I highly recommend you/he have a look here.
Especially the used section.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
www.basscentre.com.au
I highly recommend you/he have a look here.
Especially the used section.

I bought an Ibanez ATK300 from there a few weeks ago for $1050, it was well worth it.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
I mean that i need to know specific basses that would suit him well in his price range, I appreciate the suggestion but that doesn't really help at all.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
well unless you know exactly what he wants and give us specs, that's the best I can really do that isn't just senselessly naming things that probably aren't any good for him.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
well unless you know exactly what he wants and give us specs, that's the best I can really do that isn't just senselessly naming things that probably aren't any good for him.

The Ibanez ATk is praised for its versatility, it has active pickups and a decent EQ,
the neck may be a little thick for him though, it's a lot of money to spend so make sure he tries it out.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
well look into...

Ibanez gsr200
Schecter stiletto extreme
Warwick rockbass streamer
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by FFTLxx
The Ibanez ATk is praised for its versatility, it has active pickups and a decent EQ,
the neck may be a little thick for him though, it's a lot of money to spend so make sure he tries it out.

don't they have passive pickups and an active EQ?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Ok, i'll tell him about those.

Also, on that bass website, in the used section there was an active Precision Bass for 899, is that a good bass?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
very versatile and some people love them
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
very versatile and some people love them

Great, are they rare? I ask this because if he doesn't end up getting that particular one (if he likes it) will he likely find another.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Not rare, but that is very cheap for how much they usually go for in Australia.
Also, the pickups aren't active on that, it's the preamp that is.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by FFTLxx
I bought an Ibanez ATK300 from there a few weeks ago for $1050, it was well worth it.

How was the setup when you got it??
I was thinking about getting an ATK or a Jazz Bass from there, and im wondering if their stuff is set up to a good standard when you get it.
Cause i've played the ATK at Allans Music and it was like $1200 and the pickguard wasn't even screwed on properly!
---------------------------------
Quote by Gr33n
How was the setup when you got it??
I was thinking about getting an ATK or a Jazz Bass from there, and im wondering if their stuff is set up to a good standard when you get it.
Cause i've played the ATK at Allans Music and it was like $1200 and the pickguard wasn't even screwed on properly!

stuff from bass cantre is set up beautifully from my experience.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid