Hey, i just bought a framus cobra off ebay and i was wondering what tubes suite it the best. ive heard ruby's el34 and a mix of ruby's and EH in the preamp, but i jsut wanted to get a general opinion. Im basicaly after a really thick, really gainy tight tone with lots of mids and a nice bottom end. Similar to parkway drive, and KSE. any help would be appreciated
I'm not an expert on this amp but I personally would not be going after Rubys and EH tubes. I'm sure there will be some that will dissagree with me. For thick bottom end I'd look toward JJs or Mullards and then get a mix of preamp tubes like Tung Sol, Penta Labs 9th gen, Sovtek, JJ, Mullard, etc.

If you are in the States I HIGHLY recommend emailing Doug at dougstubes.com. He'll set you strait and runs a great outfit. Very responsive.

You can also try PM'ing MatrixClaw - he may have some thoughts.

Good luck and congrats on your Amp. You should do a NAD for us.
I had one loaned to me for re-tubing it. I loaded it with rubies EL34's and a mix of EHX and Tung-sol in the pre. The Rubies seemed to take away some of the " metal snarl" it had with when it had Sovteks in it. The whole thing kinda smoothed out and actually had more of a warm vintage gain voice if you can believe that. My friend was tickled but I thought it sounded much heavier with straight Chinese AX7s and Sovtek power tubes. Wish I had more time to experiment with the beast but it made me want a Dragon to be honest. Still love the Cobra though.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
My favorite EL-34s are Ruby EL-34BSTRs I think putting JJs in the power section would make it too dark, but that's up to you.

For preamps, if you want to go the easy route, Shuguang makes great sounding, cheap, 12AX7s that work well with just about everything, especially high gain amps.

I'd suggest you head over to DougsTubes.com and send him an email telling him what you want out of the amp. Last I heard, the most suggested setup from him with a Cobra is Ruby in the power section, 3 EH 12AX7s and 2 Shuguangs, but that could change with what you want
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
doug is kind of biased since he recommends JJs for everything.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
doug is kind of biased since he recommends JJs for everything.

He's never recommended me JJs for anything...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for the replies guys, i think im gonna go with ruby el34 and tungsol/jj in the pre. Hopfuly i should get a nice sound out of it