I was wondering what differentiates the mexican strat apposed to the american one and if its possible to mod ones mexican strat to make play and sound as well as an american.
The differences are:

Bridge - Mexican has a 6-screw vintage one and the American has a 2-point synchronized tremolo which I think is better.

Different pickups, however the American ones are not necessarily better.

The American comes with a case.

And I think the electronics are slightly different.

Neither have locking tuners.

If you get a Mexican, upgrade the Pickups, bridge, tuners (to locking ones) and electronics and then get it set-up properly, it will sound and play much better than an American standard.

It will also be a lot cheaper, about £100-150 roughly, depending on what parts you upgrade and stuff.
Quote by The Chimney Man
The differences are:

Bridge - Mexican has a 6-screw vintage one and the American has a 2-point synchronized tremolo which I think is better.

Different pickups, however the American ones are not necessarily better.

The American comes with a case.

And I think the electronics are slightly different.

Neither have locking tuners.

If you get a Mexican, upgrade the Pickups, bridge, tuners (to locking ones) and electronics and then get it set-up properly, it will sound and play much better than an American standard.

It will also be a lot cheaper, about £100-150 roughly, depending on what parts you upgrade and stuff.

doing all of that and "hoping" that it will play as well as an american is much more expense and pain than just buying an american. and even after upgrading all of that, it still wont feel like an american, it will feel cheap and loose. i own and play both. you can get an american at gc for <1000 usd.
in the US you can usually pick up a used MIA strat for about $700. sometimes cheaper.

if you want an american strat, and are lucky enough to have CL near you, then try out a few used ones.

compare them to some mexican strats, and see which one you like better.

because i've played and owned both and it varies a lot from year to year and guitar to guitar.

for me, the neck, weight, electronics, and hardware all feel different.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I own 2 MIM Strats, I made some upgrades on them, pickups and locking tuners, had the trem blocks. They are very solid setups. Can't say I've played a MIA but my MIM are far from cheap and loose....
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by Mr. Parker
I own 2 MIM Strats, I made some upgrades on them, pickups and locking tuners, had the trem blocks. They are very solid setups. Can't say I've played a MIA but my MIM are far from cheap and loose....

obviously, without a basis for comparison, you couldnt understand what im talking about.
but yes, aside from tuners, pickups, electronics, and bridge; the mia has a significantly more solid feel and build quality...which comes through in playability and tone.
If you luck out and get a MIM Strat that's particularly good to begin with, then you mod it and you really know what you're doing and you pay out for only the very best parts, you will end up with a guitar that might hope to be about as good as the average MIA Standard Strat, but cost a bit more than one.

Or you can do the sensible thing; bypass both and get a MIA Deluxe Strat, which is vastly superior to anything a MIM Strat can ever hope to be, much better than a regular MIA Strat, and doesn't really cost that much more.

This is coming from a MIM Strat owner, for the record; no matter what upgrades you do to it, an MIM Strat doesn't have the core build quality to ever compete with a MIA Deluxe Strat, and it can only hope to be comparable to a regular MIA Strat if you're lucky and you really, really know what you're doing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have a MIM strat, It has a seymour duncan Invader in the bridge, fender texas blues single coils, All the electronics have been upgraded. Pots, jacks, switch, etc... The trem is blocked. Had the frets dressed. Its a great sounding and playing guitar. I dont really care how it compares to an american strat. Im happy with it.
Quote by xtheclincherx
obviously, without a basis for comparison, you couldnt understand what im talking about.
but yes, aside from tuners, pickups, electronics, and bridge; the mia has a significantly more solid feel and build quality...which comes through in playability and tone.

I am not really comparing as I can't. I just know my MIM's are solid. I played guitars worth thousands (oddly not a MIA) and my MIM feels as good or better. My preference, I've also had a great guitar tech set it up right so that helps. I also have better pickups then any of the MIA/Deluxe come with. Of course I bet they sound even better in those guitars.

So you can either blend in or stand out and hot rod which ever guitar you get...

I have a MIM strat, It has a seymour duncan Invader in the bridge, fender texas blues single coils, All the electronics have been upgraded. Pots, jacks, switch, etc... The trem is blocked. Had the frets dressed. Its a great sounding and playing guitar. I dont really care how it compares to an american strat. Im happy with it.

This^
In the Valley of Vung
Last edited by Mr. Parker at Aug 26, 2009,
Another reason why modded MIMs are 'better than MIAs' is because you are so much more used to playing your guitar. So much so that you prefer your guitar to any other guitars.

Yup.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I'd have to say that MIA > MIM. I A-B'd the both of them through the same amp, and the MIA sounded better by a long shot, specially on clean with the gain pretty high. Also, the fact that the MIA is set up and playable right out of the box is just a hint on the amount of effort that has been given during the production of the guitar. Yes, you could just as easily set up and modify an MIM, but thats not the point, the point is that with the MIM, you have to give the ensure the quality yourself, whereas with the MIA, it's already there, and that is worth the extra bucks for some people.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
You should try playing both and see what you think. If you can't tell any real difference then you have saved yourself some money. If you can tell the difference then you better start saving
Quote by xtheclincherx
doing all of that and "hoping" that it will play as well as an american is much more expense and pain than just buying an american. and even after upgrading all of that, it still wont feel like an american, it will feel cheap and loose. i own and play both. you can get an american at gc for <1000 usd.

Yeah but you can get all that done by a proffesional and it'll still be cheaper.

You have to agree that Custom shop '69's or Bare knuckles sound better than Standard American Pickups?!?
Quote by The Chimney Man
Yeah but you can get all that done by a proffesional and it'll still be cheaper.

You have to agree that Custom shop '69's or Bare knuckles sound better than Standard American Pickups?!?

of course those pickups sound better. but i know how much bk's cost. if you are changing the bridge, tuners, pots, adding boutique pickups, AND taking it to a 'professional' to do it. there is no way it will cost less than what you pay for a mia standard, unless you are putting cheap parts on it, which defeats the purpose of 'upgrading.'

btw, which bk's did you put in your strat?
Quote by xtheclincherx
of course those pickups sound better. but i know how much bk's cost. if you are changing the bridge, tuners, pots, adding boutique pickups, AND taking it to a 'professional' to do it. there is no way it will cost less than what you pay for a mia standard, unless you are putting cheap parts on it, which defeats the purpose of 'upgrading.'

btw, which bk's did you put in your strat?

Yeah it certainly does depend on what parts you get, but you can still get good parts and keep the price lower.

And very soon I'm Gonna put Bare Knuckle Mother's Milk pickups in my Fender 50's Classic Player Strat.
I have Trilogy Suite's in both neck and mid in both Strats and in the bridge of the HSS I have a Miracle Man and in the SSS I have a Sinner.
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by mrbreeze317

I suppose there is quite a few differences.

Anyway, I advise anyone who can't get an American Standard to get a Classic Player 50's or 60's.

They're made in Mexico, but have the same bridge as American Standards, locking tuners (Which Americans don't have), and better pickups.

The 50's has Custom shop 57/62's and the 60's has Custom shop '69's.
Quote by Mr. Parker
I have Trilogy Suite's in both neck and mid in both Strats and in the bridge of the HSS I have a Miracle Man and in the SSS I have a Sinner.

how is the sinner in your sss? i am having trouble deciding on a good bridge coil.
i want something with more thickness than the stock, without messing up the balance and introducing more hum in that 5th position.

are you happy with it? get a good metal tone? do you have sound clips or can you compare it to another tone?
Quote by xtheclincherx
how is the sinner in your sss? i am having trouble deciding on a good bridge coil.
i want something with more thickness than the stock, without messing up the balance and introducing more hum in that 5th position.

are you happy with it? get a good metal tone? do you have sound clips or can you compare it to another tone?

Um, how to explain it...I don't have any sound clips.

To be honest it sounds better then most humbuckers. It's like trying to explain color to a blind person, how do you do that, haha...

But I run mine through a metal zone-->GE7 Equalizer-->Fender frontman 25w amp. Now the amp is noisy, the pedals help clean it up but once I got the BK pups the tone, the clarity of each string, the reduction of hum, buzzing, everything...like they have a noise gate in them they play so smooth. No hum, just power, crunch and tone. You can never be disappointed with these. No joke, no matter what guitars I own, they will have BK pups in them. I am looking at getting another MIM Strat and putting in a Warpig or nail bomb just to hear them...

My email to Tim
> Tim,
>
> I must say, the Miracle Man/Trilogy Suite combo you recommended for my HSS Strat has been amazing! The guitar tech that installed them for me didn't want to give me back my guitar! For real, I think it had been done for a few days and he was just playing it, I had to call! He wants to be a dealer for you so once he got his hands on a set...well he was in heaven.
>
> Ok enough of that, I am taking my brother SSS Strat off of his hands. Of all the modifications I am going to make, the pickups are number 1. I have been blown away by the set I got for my HSS I couldn't see getting anything else. Now I read some reviews, some people seem to combine the Sinner in the bridge and then balance it out with some Trilogy Suite's. Now of course I am gonna make this a metal guitar but tone clarity still matter. The Trilogy Suite's are just awesome, would a SSS in that SInner/Trilogy combo be the best way to go for an SSS playing metal? Or would another combo or all of one kind of pickup be best?

Tim Mills:

Hi,

I'm glad you're enjoying you MM/TS HSS set!
Go with Sinner/Trilogy combo for the ultimate metal Strat-you'll retain all of the Strat character but have alot more power on tap-I would suggest a baseplate on the Sinner too for extra punch.

kindest regards

Tim
In the Valley of Vung
I was thinking of modding my Aria Strat copy when I get a new guitar.
Locking Tuners, New pick-ups, new trem, new electronics and I was going to get rid of the name on the headstock and put something like my band's name on it instead
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm