I have recently joined a band that will be playing more classic rock, some top 40 songs such as Neil Young, Blues Traveler, Tom Petty, Warren Zevon, Rolling Stones, etc.

I currently have a Blackheart Little Giant 5 watt tube amp which is fine for practice sessions, but I am not sure it will cut it for some outdoor venues we have planned.

I plan on trying out some amps, possibly with 4x12 cabs, but can some people who play similar types of music and have gigged help me narrow it down so I can have a short list before I go in?

I will be playing mainly a Jackson Dinky DK2 and Epi Les Paul Plus Top through it.

My budget would be $1,000 USD or less.

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Last edited by Rio38 at Aug 26, 2009,
Fender Deluxe Reverb?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Well, what sound do you want? Plexi roar? Sparkly cleans? Chimey cleans?

There are too many amps that can be used for classic rock, so you need to narrow this down a little bit.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Well, what sound do you want? Plexi roar? Sparkly cleans? Chimey cleans?

There are too many amps that can be used for classic rock, so you need to narrow this down a little bit.

I need to go from the nice clean of Tom Petty's Free Fallin' to the overdrive of Neil Young's Rockin' in the Free World.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
A Tweed style amp should fit you just fine, look for Tweed Deluxe clones or Tweed Bassman clones.
Er, thats an acoustic guitar...

I think your best bet is some sort of Fender and OD pedal.

EDIT: Fender Blues Deville + Catalinbread DLS?
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
Er, thats an acoustic guitar...

I think your best bet is some sort of Fender and OD pedal.

I know it is an acoustic on the original recording, but I will be using an electric out of necessity.

I was also looking at the Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal along with my Blackheart amp.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Traynor YVC50 Blue or YVC40 ...just depends if you want things a little more Marshally or a little more Fendery, I'd lean towards the 40 probably for the stuff you've listed but see if you can try them both.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 26, 2009,
In a working band situation, I'd go for a used Twin Reverb with that sort of music. You'll never be short of power and so many were used in those days, it became a classic sound. Less to haul around than a half-stack, too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by The_Bosstone
^ I would MUCH rather haul around a half stack then a fucking Twin Reverb.

No ****. I don't know about anyone else, but my cabs have casters on them and I roll it with my head on top. Makes for much easier transport.
How would the Boss FDR-1 Deluxe Reverb pedal work with my Blackheart? Would that be an alternative for now?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by Rio38
How would the Boss FDR-1 Deluxe Reverb pedal work with my Blackheart? Would that be an alternative for now?

I doubt it.

In addition to what's already been recommended, I suggest you look into the following:

Budda Superdrive 18
Peavey Classic 30 or 50
Mesa DC series
Mesa F series
Marshall JCM 800
Mesa Mark III

Some of these you'd have to find used, though, because they're discontinued...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
No, it's not going to make things any louder and it's not going to sound any better than the amp on it's own.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by The_Bosstone
^ I would MUCH rather haul around a half stack then a fucking Twin Reverb.

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of space in the boot of a car. Getting longer arms is, of course, a bonus. And hey, try shifting a Goliath cab up a spiral staircase some day.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If you're happy with the amp you're using, what's wrong with just buying a good dynamic mic? Most outdoor/larger venues will prefer you to mic your amp through the PA anyway.

As for amps:

Traynor YCV40
Hayden Mofo
Budda Superdrive 18
Kustom Coupe '36
Egnater Rebel 30
Ceriatone JTM45 clone
Quote by kyle62
If you're happy with the amp you're using, what's wrong with just buying a good dynamic mic? Most outdoor/larger venues will prefer you to mic your amp through the PA anyway.

We do have a PA system we can use, but we are talking about barbecues, picnics, etc. Nothing big time yet.

I was also looking at maybe a Blues Driver pedal. I do have my Boss ME-70 but have been unable to come up with the sound I am looking for. I may have to sit for a few more hours and tweak that.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I'm still recommending a Peavey Classic 30 (or 50 if you want a little more headroom and power). It won't cost your entire budget, and you can save the extra or put it towards pedals or something.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception