Today I bought my first acoustic guitar after playing 3 years electric. I play some slide guitar and was planning to also do this on my acoustic guitar only the salesman at the local music shop where I bought the guitar said I have to use steel strings on my acoustic guitar if I'm going to play slide guitar on it. Is this correct 'cause I thought I had seen some people use nylon strings as well.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're a horrible, horrible person.

only to the people who deserve it
I've seen it too, a classical guitarist came in to my school and played duets with a saxophone player, he did a lot of slide with his nylon string, sounded kinda weak even though the guy was insane at guitar, i figure its because of the strings
thanks for your answers, I think I restring the guitar with steel strings and then I see for myself what I like best.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by obeythepenguin
Trust him, he's a luthier. And threads about that usually don't end well.

And here I was about to also *suggest* not restringing a classical with steel strings x_X
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I think it sounds better on steel, but thats just my opinion.
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Aug 26, 2009,
since when is a acoustic guitar a classical guitar ? am I missing something here..

edit: also the strings package I bought with it are Martin Acoustic Guitar Strings, On the back it says that string E,A,D,G are Bronze wound and B and E Silvered Steel.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Last edited by Robin_OldSchool at Aug 26, 2009,
Is there a way I could check if the guitar is specifically only for nylon or steel strings ? The Salesman said it was no problem to use the strings he gave me on the guitar but now I'm doubting that after reading your story.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Thanks for your information in your posts ! really appreciate it. The guitar I bought is a Hohner model: HW40P. I searched on the website of the company but couldn't find specific information.

I checked the nut but as far as I can see the high E was smaller then the D and the G isn't much bigger then the D. Also I searched up the different bridges through pictures on google and if I'm correct I have a pinned bridge. the Tuning Pegs are however I think like you would normally find on electric guitars. In fact they look the same as my first electric guitar I have.

To be sure I think I will go back to the store tomorrow for some information but I don't think it will help much since they already told me today it should be fine for steel strings. If possibble I can make some pictures of the nut and bridge to be sure so.
Quote by magnus_maximus

why don't you just post a picture of your guitar so we can figure it out?
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143

a picture of the bridge, I'm uploading 2 others now so they will come on soon
Quote by magnus_maximus

a pic of the guitar itself

a picture of the headstock

I hope this provides enough, I will check the answers tomorrow because uts 1 o clock at night here so I'm going to sleep but I will check tomorrow again. To be sure I will loosen the strings just in case. Thanks for all your reply's again, its been very helpful so far
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by David Collins
Well, that kind of makes the whole discussion a non-issue. That's a steel string acoustic guitar, and would never fit or play with nylon strings anyway. I was under the assumption this whole time that your guitar came with nylon strings on it to begin with.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Stay with steel strings. Nylon strings wont really work.
The pictures I made are when I restringed the guitar with steel strings, the old strings that were on it I took off but I still have them lying here. Now I'm not sure about myself and this is probably a stupid question but how can you check that it are nylon strings ? The high E and B strings feel like the ones I have now on the guitar so I guess thats the same?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Robin_OldSchool
The pictures I made are when I restringed the guitar with steel strings, the old strings that were on it I took off but I still have them lying here. Now I'm not sure about myself and this is probably a stupid question but how can you check that it are nylon strings ? The high E and B strings feel like the ones I have now on the guitar so I guess thats the same?

Yes those are steel strings. Nylon strings feel much "looser" and the B and high E strings look and feel thick and plasticky and are either clear or black, not silver.
wow thanks for all your answers ! never expected this much help on UG without someone calling me a noob or whatever.

Now I know sure that I can safely use steel strings and learned a lot more. Thanks you all
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Robin_OldSchool
wow thanks for all your answers ! never expected this much help on UG without someone calling me a noob or whatever.

Now I know sure that I can safely use steel strings and learned a lot more. Thanks you all

Don't use nylon strings on that guitar though, the neck could warp.

And just for good measure - you're a noob.
The highest nylon strings will be something very much like fishing string. It will be plastic. The steel strings will be made out of metal and will be noticeably of metal.

The lower strings will be a little bit harder to tell the difference of. If you can see the core, the core will be like a thread. The steel strings will have a metal core.