I have an epiphone sg special ( I know it sucks, but I'm saving up for a new amp so it's what I got). It has a cheap plastic nut that has a really high action. First of all, I wish that it was slotted a little deeper for a lower action, and second, I play with thicker strings than it came with (ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom). Do I need to re slot the nut for the thicker strings? I want to lower the action a little bit, is it feasible to do this on my guitar or should I just get a brand new nut and start from scratch? I'd really rather start from new, but I really don't know what all is involved. Any nut replacing/reslotting tutorials that you guys recommend? I know there are a million of them, but I don't know how reliable most are. I love wrenching on my guitar, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys!
There are a lot of ways to lower action, that don't require much change at the nut. How high is the nut?

The problem is, if you get the nut too low, it'll buzz. Try lowering your bridge a little, it may help.

If you were to redo your nut, I suggest sanding off the bottom instead of making the slots deeper. Those plastic nuts can be hollow sometimes, so slotting may punch through the plastic.
You don't want to cut your slots deeper unless the strings are too high at the first couple frets, specifically. It's not something you generally screw with to change the overall action.

Press down a string between the 2nd and 3rd fret so that it contacts the 2nd fret, and then check the clearance over the first fret. It should be just a few thousandths clear. If there is a noticable distance bwtween them, it should be cut deeper. If it's touching or almost touching - any lower and it will almost certainly buzz.
I'm thinking about just replacing the nut just for the experience. I went by guitar center today to pick up a new tuner (broke my old one) and they had an allparts graphite pre-slotted epiphone replacement nut for 11 bucks. I'm strongly considering swapping it out, it can't hurt, and more than likely, it will actually be an improvement. When I originally put those thick strings on there it shaved the plastic off a little bit, that has to be the definition of quality.
my plastic crappy one started to crack so I went to try and find a replacement. Got some no-name carbon one that I thought was a strat style and it turned out to be a LP style one with the wrong string spacing. I put it on anyways for the moment and the sustain is so much better. I ordered a graphtech one today this is a left-handed strat style with the graphtech string trees, with the correct spacing so I'll swap again in a week, but you have a cheap plastic one, replace it. Can't hurt. Even a non-radiused carbon one with the wrong string spacing still makes my guitar sound better. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by GeToChKn
my plastic crappy one started to crack so I went to try and find a replacement. Got some no-name carbon one that I thought was a strat style and it turned out to be a LP style one with the wrong string spacing. I put it on anyways for the moment and the sustain is so much better. I ordered a graphtech one today this is a left-handed strat style with the graphtech string trees, with the correct spacing so I'll swap again in a week, but you have a cheap plastic one, replace it. Can't hurt. Even a non-radiused carbon one with the wrong string spacing still makes my guitar sound better. lol.

That's what I figure, anything has to sound better than what is on there. I bought a new nut today but the loser at GC sold me a strat nut, I didn't even look at it, my mistake. The way i see it, it's only 11 dollars, if it doesn't improve anything, I'm only out 11 dollars. As long as I install it correctly, it can't hurt.......that's a big "if" though haha.
We should switch. lol. I need a strat, you need a LP style. I already sanded mine down to fit though in my slot.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3