Greetings UG Gods.

So I have seen various styles of TOM. Some with tail pieces, some more adjustable than others, sure I have seen some that are String Through.

So, if you all feel like it. Can you assume I know nothing about TOM Bridges and post up here (possibly with good pics) what you know about them and the various styles.

Many thanks!
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!

string thru ToM

from my LTD M-10.

PRO'S
easy to string up
stays in tune well
easy to adjust
CON'S
no-where to put your hand (without palmmuteing)
(thats all i can think of at this point..)

note, yep its a bit dusty, and yeah theres that little bit of plastic, i got this 2nd hand and the metal O thing was missing, the high E string cuts thru the body without something to stop it...

wrap around ToM
tbh im not sure if this is a ToM but its construction is fairly simuler.

from my bc rich metal master warlock.
PRO'S
like the M-10, its
easy to string up
stays in tune well
easy to adjust

CON'S
no-where to put your hand (without palmmuteing)
slightly harder to string up, but not enough to say that its hard. but strings can scratch the body when putting them thru the bridge while its on the guitar.
(thats all i can think of at this point..)
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Well thank you. And thanks for going to the effort of taking pics yourself.

So on an LP, the tail piece is where the strings would mount, yes?

I believe there are TOM bridges with fixed saddles that cant be individually adjusted for intonation. Is that right?

Is an adjustable TOM sufficient for good intonation if correctly positioned?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tune-o-matic is a pretty good start, for a general knowladge kind of thing, and is definitely worth reading

Gibson has 2 styles of TOM: the nashville and the ABR-1. The latter is the original style and the former is the newer "improved" style. The nashville is wider so has more room for intonation purposes. I think though, in general, people prefer the tone of the original. I've heard the nashville was developed as a cost cutting exercise with quicker installation and cheaper materials, but I can't vouch for this.

EDIT: While this is not a TOM as such, it has the fixed intonation

Yes the tailpiece is where the strings mount on an LP. And you can intonante a TOM fine (well, you could on my one anyway). You may have to angle it though, the wikipedia article explains why.
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 26, 2009,