Don't worry, I'm not asking for a name

I have a problem (as already mentioned). My band changed our name a little while ago, and now they hate it, but I still love it. They really want to change it.

This exact thing has happened before. Last time this happened, it was changed with absolutely no compromise with me. I just don't want it to happen again. Even if I talk it out with them, they are the kind of people who does it with a lot of things relating to the band.

So, what would you do?
Check out my Electronica project!
http://
hold a vote, just because you dont want to change it doesnt mean the whole band has to be stuck with an awful name
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at Aug 26, 2009,
Let it go this time and then say you need to be more involved in the decisions being made within the band. If they say no, threaten to quit.
Tell them you remember this same thing happening before and it's not going to happen again, and if they don't like it, they can go **** themselves.

That's what I would say, anyway, but that's just how I roll.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Our name at the moment is 'A Smile Aborted'. But they want to change it to 'Breaching The Pinnacle'. The singer has already made logos for it, so I feel the change is imminant.

Quote by whencowsfart101
Let it go this time and then say you need to be more involved in the decisions being made within the band. If they say no, threaten to quit.

The only thing is, it has happened with the name before, but also with like song names, logos and stuff like that a ton of times. That's what the dilemma is, because it still happens after I say I need more input.
Quote by RyoujokuNoAme
Our name at the moment is 'A Smile Aborted'. But they want to change it to 'Breaching The Pinnacle'. The singer has already made logos for it, so I feel the change is imminant.

Both of those names suck, but Breaching the Pinnacle is just beyond generic and has been done to death. Don't use a band name that has an A the B pattern.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
Both of those names suck, but Breaching the Pinnacle is just beyond generic and has been done to death. Don't use a band name that has an A the B pattern.

To an extent, I agree with you. But if I had to have one, it would be A Smile Aborted any day. We all have a bit of a block when it comes to band names. I liked our really old one more, which was 'Heart Mercy Arcade'.
I think the point is, they walk all over you.
You have to put your foot down.
If it makes you an asshole, so be it, but if you want your voice heard, you have to have some balls.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by RyoujokuNoAme
To an extent, I agree with you. But if I had to have one, it would be A Smile Aborted any day. We all have a bit of a block when it comes to band names. I liked our really old one more, which was 'Heart Mercy Arcade'.

You guys are a band, your like family choose a band name that every body likes, because if one person doesn't like it he'll feel like he's being left out.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by KoenDercksen
Quit then?

Quit based on a name? Um. No.

Anyways, how established are you as a band? Do you have a following?

One of the local bands here called Coil on Coil recently changed their name to Over Tehran. They were quite popular and now people are like who? unless you mention their old name.
Vote!
NEWCASTLE

UNITED!

My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-401QMNT
Marshall AVT150H
Peavey Valve King Cab
What ever happened to not caring? I couldn't care if my band's name was great or bad...it just needs to express the music style you play and that's it. The name will not make your music better or worse, or change the music...if you feel that you can't put up with minor changes like these for these musicians then you should find a new project.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
I'm with Brian 1.0. I don't care about names, and usually wait until we're ready to gig until the name is picked. Quite often I'll just make a word from different parts of each person's first names and that's the band name. It is necessary for the name to reflect the style of music played, or at least not be linked to a different genre. You don't want a pop band to be called "Brutal Death", but that said soft-pop band "No Mercy" had a couple of hits in the mid 90s.

Eg. Band Members are Michael, John and Ben.

Band name = Mikjoben (or something like that).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm with Brian 1.0. I don't care about names, and usually wait until we're ready to gig until the name is picked. Quite often I'll just make a word from different parts of each person's first names and that's the band name. It is necessary for the name to reflect the style of music played, or at least not be linked to a different genre. You don't want a pop band to be called "Brutal Death", but that said soft-pop band "No Mercy" had a couple of hits in the mid 90s.

Eg. Band Members are Michael, John and Ben.

Band name = Mikjoben (or something like that).

I agree. I think that members put too much stock in a name, I mean, how cheesy is Slayer, Autopsy, Antrax even? Hoobastank? What the hell does Blink-182 mean anyway?

Its just a name. Fame dictates how that name is recieved, not the way it sounds. I agree, Brutal Death is a horrible name for anything but metal, so genre is important, when selecting band names that sound like they were deep fat fried in teenage angst and John McClain action action scenes. (Thats the guy from Die Hard, for the youngins out there wondering).

Just pick a name, or let your band mates do it for you. All you have to do is write, play, cover and fill venues. Let the mob do the rest.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by soundgarden19

That's it!.

There's something odd with your band's current name, as you've got that A Perfect Circle avatar. Perhaps you're not purposely "copying" their name...

Though I'd like to suggest a name (...), I think you should just have a talk with your bandmates, and share ideas or something like that. You'll eventually get something good.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Last edited by Antoine-Øleg at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by Antoine-Øleg
That's it!.

There's something odd with your band's current name, as you've got that A Perfect Circle avatar. Perhaps you're not purposely "copying" their name...

Though I'd like to suggest a name (...), I think you should just have a talk with your bandmates, and share ideas or something like that. You'll eventually get something good.

It's a default avatar that UG has permanently on their servers.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
TS, a musician is someone who communicates ideas and emotions through sound. How do you expect to write good music if you can't even communicate with your band mates that you aren't pleased with something?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by RyoujokuNoAme

compromise, "Breaching the Aborted"

Yippie Kai Yay MotherF***ers!
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
compromise, "Breaching the Aborted"

Yippie Kai Yay MotherF***ers!

Word Grisky, good to see the classics are still burned in people's minds.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Word Grisky, good to see the classics are still burned in people's minds.

Off-topic:

For some reason that line never really appealed to me, despite my love of the series.

From the first movie I love "Now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho", and there's also a deleted line of dialogue from one of the hacker goons, in total he says "you didn't bring me along for my charming personality...though you should have!" (or something like that).
Soundcloud
Heart Mercy Arcade could be considered emo simply because of the word Heart these days but its in my opinion the best name your band has had so far :S
I'd already forgotten the names you mentioned by the time i'd gotten to the second page. They're so generic and unmemorable. You can say that a band does well because of the music and so on but that's not entirely true. A good band name can and will suck in an audience.

Both suck, try having a one word band name.. those are much better.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
I'd already forgotten the names you mentioned by the time i'd gotten to the second page. They're so generic and unmemorable. You can say that a band does well because of the music and so on but that's not entirely true. A good band name can and will suck in an audience.

No they're not. I'm sure I remember reading that 2 word name bands are typically the most succesful. And I agree that 2 word names are better. Often more memorable, and one word names can be very cheesy, cliched and/or generic.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
No they're not. I'm sure I remember reading that 2 word name bands are typically the most succesful. And I agree that 2 word names are better. Often more memorable, and one word names can be very cheesy, cliched and/or generic.

My playlist appears to disagree with you.

Fine have a two word name, I don't particularly care.. there are some good two word band names but three word band names as far as i'm concerned reek of fail and belong in metalcore and deathcore.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
My playlist appears to disagree with you.

Fine have a two word name, I don't particularly care.. there are some good two word band names but three word band names as far as i'm concerned reek of fail and belong in metalcore and deathcore.

Of the top of my head:
The Rolling Stones
The Stone Roses
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The White Stripes
Guns N Roses
Dirty Pretty Things

Yeah, saying that 3 word names are fail and only for metalcore is pretty ignorant...

And I said I read that 2 word bands were TYPICALLY more successful. Sure, your playlist might have more 1 word name bands, but you hardly represent every music fan ever, do you?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Calm down dudes. Just go with the argument that the name doesn't factor in to how successful you are. It's not like a record exec is going to sign you on the basis of your name - if he likes your sound he can just suggest a name change with the $$$.

Aim for something that people can remember. The amount of words doesn't matter.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Calm down dudes. Just go with the argument that the name doesn't factor in to how successful you are. It's not like a record exec is going to sign you on the basis of your name - if he likes your sound he can just suggest a name change with the $$$.

Aim for something that people can remember. The amount of words doesn't matter.

That's a naive legend. Typically the more succesful bands have more recognisable band names. I mean i've already forgotten both of the names he's suggested, that doesn't bode well for either of them does it.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by isabiggles
That's a naive legend. Typically the more succesful bands have more recognisable band names. I mean i've already forgotten both of the names he's suggested, that doesn't bode well for either of them does it.

Well I did say "something that people remember", just that the amount of words is not relevant.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well I did say "something that people remember", just that the amount of words is not relevant.

Yes but the majority of one word band names are more memorable. Three word band names (particularly those as generic as the ones in deathcore, metalcore and the ones TS mentioned) are often very unmemorable. I now can't either of his band names at all. However a simple one word or two word band name would be easily memorised.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by isabiggles
Yes but the majority of one word band names are more memorable. Three word band names (particularly those as generic as the ones in deathcore, metalcore and the ones TS mentioned) are often very unmemorable. I now can't either of his band names at all. However a simple one word or two word band name would be easily memorised.

That's all debatable - I'm under the impression it depends on how the words are used together.

Eg.

Band name:

1 word; Death
2 words; My Death
3 words; Buy My Death
etc;

Each has it's own connotations. It's how they work together that makes each different. I'm not saying any of the above are good band names, but each could be considered memorable in it's own way.
Soundcloud
Quote by isabiggles

well gee ****in whiz. you don't say?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by isabiggles

Read my mind.