Page 1 of 2
I made a stupid gas move by trusting this guy who is located in Vietnam. He kept communication up until a few days ago.

I was leery from the start, but he frequents many top forums and even had a "good trader" rating. I spoke to a person in the states who dealt with him. He said the deal went smoothly and that he was shocked by the communication.

The deal was my W.R. Landy Custom Guitar for his Gibson Standard Faded. We both agreed to pay respective shipping. Now almost 5 months later I have not received the guitar he allegedly sent, yet he has mine. He opted to insure it and supposedly filed a claim with his local post office.

I thought great! Now what? Well he sends me an email saying that he will sell my guitar locally and send me "around" $500. He said the local interest noticed my ads in the forums from when I was trying to deal it. He asked me to lie to possible buyers he found locally saying that I am his friend trying to sell it in the states and that he didn't get it from me. He says he'll never get the $1200 I had it listed for if the buyer knows he got it at that price. I said what!?!?!? I told him I am not going to lie to people and that he should send me back the guitar since he is going to collect the insurance money. He apologized saying that he was being selfish and that I was right. I felt that if he did the honest thing that I could be a connection for gear for him in the future. I figured I can pay him back by giving him access to gear he may otherwise not be able to obtain.

Next he says that transferring money from the US to Vietnam is difficult, but from Vietnam to the US is easy. He wanted to send me money to purchase something here and I pay to ship it back. Then he will pay to ship my guitar back and it will be equal. I figure that will work. His most recent email said that he doesn't have the money to buy anything. he asks if we want to go back to the initial plan? I said only if the plan was to send my guitar back, not the $500 nonsense. He says ok how you can send the money. I did some research to find out a way to have it shipped back and billed to me without any money going in his hands. I find that have Fedex pick up the guitar at his house and ship it through my account. Done!! I have sent him 2 emails so far and he has not responded.

I would NOT recommend dealing with this guy. Let this be a lesson that GAS is BAD!!!!

Dang Hai Banh your parents must be sooooo proud of you. Burn in hell boy.
such a beautiful guitar gone ...i feel for ur loss
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
thanks man.

my father would say "thats what you get for trusting a stranger!" haha. he'd be right in this situation.
Quote by herman ri2
Did you report him to the mods?

not yet. didn't think of that. thanks!
i'll ban him and see if he shows/has anything to say in the FotB.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Really? Same thing happened to me.

He wanted to trade his KV2 for my RR24. He said he sent it, but because of some delays (guitar getting messed up, vacation, taking the axe to the shop, etc.) I couldn't send mine as fast. He got mad, and supposedly sent a request to call back the guitar.

Damn GAS.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
This does suck :/
Which email address did he tell you to contact him?
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Quote by mikeyElite
i'll ban him and see if he shows/has anything to say in the FotB.

that seems to be the best thing. it seems like i am not the only one.

thanks!!
Quote by nospacesallowed
What does GAS mean?

GAS=Gear Aquiring Syndrom

theres no cure man!!!!!!! lol
thats sucks
never trust anyone in asia they all are scammers
also in south africa

I got scammed before only for my EH pi tho, nothing big.
He offered me the same deal but he wanted to trade me his single rec for a Schecter I had listed. If he was in the US, I would have been all over that deal but I decided not to go for it due to other offers on the schecter and the horse manure involved with an international trade and shipping a tube head, of all things, over seas. Luckily my instincts were correct again. Reading his message made me feel just like I was reading that spam message we all get telling us we won the nigerian lottery.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by DIFTWOOD
thats sucks
never trust anyone in asia they all are scammers
also in south africa

I got scammed before only for my EH pi tho, nothing big.

well i wouldn't black ball the nation. i should have been smarter. i knew there was a big chance i was getting scammed. i checked references on HC and even waited for a receipt of shipping. this guy was good.
Quote by miketheslut
He offered me the same deal but he wanted to trade me his single rec for a Schecter I had listed. If he was in the US, I would have been all over that deal but I decided not to go for it due to other offers on the schecter and the horse manure involved with an international trade and shipping a tube head, of all things, over seas. Luckily my instincts were correct again. Reading his message made me feel just like I was reading that spam message we all get telling us we won the nigerian lottery.

good move man.
wow, glad i didnt deal with this guy.

i was going to trade him a Tiny Terror head for a Jackson RR3, and a Epiphone LP (if i rememebr correctly) because he said that the tax in Vietnam was so high that that head was equal to the guitars. Glad i went with my gut and thought "who in their right mind would trade both of those guitars for a ****ing TT head"

im really sorry to hear about your loss.
this is kind of funny. Youre saying that this transaction has been in work for 5 months. but 2 months ago we almost had a deal worked out.....my Gibson Explorer for his Les Paul. kinda funny that he was offering that when it was supposed to be mailed to you. and just recently we were working out a pedal trade. but he bailed when i told him that he would have to ship first. and once i recieved the package from him then i would ship to him. i think that was fair considering he had no referances to give me and his location. he quickly bailed from the deal. all i could think was SCAMMER. i guess Viatnam is the new Indonisia....
Quote by xnatex
this is kind of funny. Youre saying that this transaction has been in work for 5 months. but 2 months ago we almost had a deal worked out.....my Gibson Explorer for his Les Paul. kinda funny that he was offering that when it was supposed to be mailed to you. and just recently we were working out a pedal trade. but he bailed when i told him that he would have to ship first. and once i recieved the package from him then i would ship to him. i think that was fair considering he had no referances to give me and his location. he quickly bailed from the deal. all i could think was SCAMMER. i guess Viatnam is the new Indonisia....

was this the les paul?

if so it turns out he never owned this guitar. from a pretty reliable source the guy is a bottom feeder. hasn't owned anything as nice as a les paul.
Quote by nightraven
sorry about that man. have you posted a thread on HC exposing him?

absolutely! the 1st thread i started was over there.
Just to add to this:

ProfDrum wrote on Jun 8th, 2009 at 5:20am :
Duncan_amateur wrote on Jun 7th, 2009 at 3:12pm :
are you looking for any trade for the orange TT stack? I have some decent guitars & pedal possibly be offered. let me know and I'll send some pics
I'm in Vietnam

Hello,

Show me what you've got and I'll let you know. I will say now though that due to the overseas shipping, I'll have to await the arrival of your equipment before posting the tiny terror. I will ship it insured and recorded and provide you a tracking number however.

Regards,

Drum

I'm sorry but I feel exactly the same when doing int'l deals. I can't wait like 6-8 weeks for my package to get to you and then for your stuff to get to me, plus I'm also concerned about the risk of doing so. not that I don't believe you but there have been too many stories recently
Quote by KingEdB
was this the les paul?

if so it turns out he never owned this guitar. from a pretty reliable source the guy is a bottom feeder. hasn't owned anything as nice as a les paul.

that is one of the EXACT pics that he sent me. there was also one of the front of the headstock. and a full body shot from the back. when i asked for more pics(including serial #) he said his camera was "broken"...........

Quote by ProfDrum

I'm sorry but I feel exactly the same when doing int'l deals. I can't wait like 6-8 weeks for my package to get to you and then for your stuff to get to me, plus I'm also concerned about the risk of doing so. not that I don't believe you but there have been too many stories recently

if my memory serves me correct......thats almost exactly what he said to me.
Wow. What a piece of **** scumbag. I hope you get your guitar back and karma catches up with this mother****er.

Even his eBay account seems legit: http://myworld.ebay.com/duncan_the_shredder/

Do what you can to report it to authorities and provide them the transcripts of everything he has sent you. Hope things work out man . . .
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
Lets Lynch The ****er!!!

+100

its people like that guy that make me think twice before trading. and ive been trading online for years
Ok, some quick amateur detective work:

The pictures are originally from here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fviet-guitar.vn%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D317771&sl=vi&tl=en&history_state0=

Now whether the poster there is same guy here is the question.

His other aliases:

Duncan_the_shredder
Duncan_the_Phat_Kat
duncan_banh_mcfly_fan

His facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Duncan-Phat-Kat/1306741893?ref=search

Pretty much, avoid anyone with "Duncan_" from Vietnam. I hope this info will help somehow . . . if anything, we can give him hell for ****ing with the guitar buyers/sellers honor system. **** him.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba
Ok, some quick amateur detective work:

The pictures are originally from here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fviet-guitar.vn%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D317771&sl=vi&tl=en&history_state0=

Now whether the poster there is same guy here is the question.

His other aliases:

Duncan_the_shredder
Duncan_the_Phat_Kat
duncan_banh_mcfly_fan

His facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Duncan-Phat-Kat/1306741893?ref=search

Pretty much, avoid anyone with "Duncan_" from Vietnam. I hope this info will help somehow . . . if anything, we can give him hell for ****ing with the guitar buyers/sellers honor system. **** him.

fcebook too!!!! he would never accept my friend request, but that is awesome!! thanks for the info.
Maybe IndianScout moved out of the country? anyway good luck on getting your guitar back man, it's sure good looking.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
why is this guy still on the Good traders list? and why isnt he banned yet?

he's been banned since yesterday....
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
wow guys, thanks for the sticky!!

i found another alias. SHREDISM_86

i was sent another link showing my guitar in the Singapore Music Forum.
I had the same thing with Duncan_amateur! He wanted my Jackson RR for his Gibbo LP Faded but as soon as I said he'd have to send it first he totally backed out.. Good job he did with the looks of things! Dude i hope somehow you get your guitar back! With the looks of things it couldve been a number of people in the same situation!
Some suggestions to the mods.

If there is a scammer that scammed a UG user on this forum, you should expose them as much as you can. Like by posting their IP address, all there accounts, email, and other personal info for their illegal actions. That would be UG justice.
Bit gutted we've got the same name tbh :S..
I did deal with him once, it was an absolute pain. Thankfully he was making a purchase so we weren't trading, but even that was hard enough. Although I don't have any horror stories like some of you guys. Hope you can get some justice out of this.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Page 1 of 2