hey,
Can someone explain the difference between maple and rosewood necks??
thanks
Lewis..
My Gear
+ Fender telecaster custom 72
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Fender squier strat sunburst 1980's
+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

"The Smell of Win" Rob Chappers.
The biggest difference is of coarse the obvious - looks.
Rosewood = Dark
Maple = Light

There is also a tonal difference.
Rosewood will be a warmer tone, and Maple will be brighter

And Rosewood will require more care.
Rosweood is left bare and unfinished. You will need to apply some kind of Lemon oil every 6 months or so to keep the wood healthy.

Maple usually has some sort of laquered finish, no special care required.

That's about it.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
thanks
My Gear
+ Fender telecaster custom 72
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Fender squier strat sunburst 1980's
+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

"The Smell of Win" Rob Chappers.
In my experience maple is usually a little smoother feeling as well.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
its the fretboard, not neck. but i think the biggest difference is looks.

Quote by jonmo1
The biggest difference is of coarse the obvious - looks.
Rosewood = Dark
Maple = Light

There is also a tonal difference.
Rosewood will be a warmer tone, and Maple will be brighter

And Rosewood will require more care.
Rosweood is left bare and unfinished. You will need to apply some kind of Lemon oil every 6 months or so to keep the wood healthy.

Maple usually has some sort of laquered finish, no special care required.

That's about it.

I didnt know this. must get lemon oil for my guitars. what about ebony fretboards?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
With rosewood, remember to clean it with 0000 steel wool every month (the pores get filled with finger gunk, so the strings go faster and they also feel odd).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Not sure about Ebony...I think they require some treatment too, but not sure if you should use lemon oil..

Steel wool is not required unless you've let it get REALLY dirty and grimy.

Use Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner to clean the fretboard. (on rosewood)
If you use those at every string change, then you'll never get it so dirty to require steel wool.

And every 6 months after a cleaning, apply a generous coat of lemon oil and let it soak for 10-15 minutes and wipe it off with a clean rag. good to go.
Smells awesome too!!

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 26, 2009,
I like Maple a little more, especially on necks because there's less care involved and it feels so much smoother. Rosewood necks feel tacky and sticky sometimes because of the finish.
With good Ebony you can hardly feel or see any grain. Some people find it feels too artificial, like plastic, but really your fingers should seldom touch it anyway. Although it is incredibly hard (and heavy) its tone is just a bit brighter than Rosewood, but not as bright as maple. Being very hard it transmits sound to the neck etc., very well and increases sustain. Good Ebony is very hard to find these days and what is mostly used now is not up to the standard of 40 years ago. That said, it is still a joy to have (imo) and retains most of the properties I have mentioned. I have had four guitars with Ebony boards and they have been my four favourites. Probably not co-incidence.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

As far as takign care of rosewood goes, it actually depends entirely on the make up of the natural oils in your skin, as well as the precise species and quality of the rosewood used. Some guitars and some players can last for decades without ever having to do anything to the rosewood fretboard - other guitars and other players may find that they need to clean the fretboard and treat it with lemon oil as much as every two months.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by pixysticks
I like Maple a little more, especially on necks because there's less care involved and it feels so much smoother. Rosewood necks feel tacky and sticky sometimes because of the finish.

I think you switched them around...

Maple has the finish that makes it feel stickier. Rosewood feels smoother cause it's pretty much raw wood..... sorta....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
I think you switched them around...

Maple has the finish that makes it feel stickier. Rosewood feels smoother cause it's pretty much raw wood..... sorta....

My rosewood neck is pretty tacky and sticky whereas my maple neck feels a bit less so. Maybe it's just me.