Honestly, I don't want to dog them, but I used to have one and I hated that thing. I had an Aria Pro 2 that I bought for 50 bucks that sounded better.

What are the pro's to having this guitar?
it depends on when and where it was made. i have one made in japan in the 80's and is as good as some fenders. Generally they are quite good.
My Gear
+ Fender telecaster custom 72
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Fender squier strat sunburst 1980's
+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

"The Smell of Win" Rob Chappers.
Squier's (and just about all budget guitars) are hit or miss.

"hit or miss" meaning, luck of the draw. Sometimes you can find a really good one, and sometimes you find a piece of junk. But MOST of the time, you find one that is just...OK..

It's basically quality control at the factory. That's where the costs are cut mostly. It's easy for a bad guitar to slip through the quality control in budget guitar lines..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by guitar12
A pro is that no one will steal your guitar.

Unless they don't know anything about guitars =/
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Hahaha.
Guits-
PRS Standard 22 Satin Nitro 2007
PRS 25th Anniversary 513 2010
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 2012
Gibson Flying V 67 Reissue 1990
Ovation Applause AE 147
Some ratty Concert Guitar that actually sounds decent

Ive never really messed with squires. But the other day in a shop i saw a squire guitar that looked quite nice. I didnt play it because i didnt have much time. I did pick it up, it felt well built. It did not feel cheap. ANd it looked nice, it was a "classic vibe" series. I doubt i would ever buy it. I could get a used mexican fender for the same price.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Ive never really messed with squires. But the other day in a shop i saw a squire guitar that looked quite nice. I didnt play it because i didnt have much time. I did pick it up, it felt well built. It did not feel cheap. ANd it looked nice, it was a "classic vibe" series. I doubt i would ever buy it. I could get a used mexican fender for the same price.

The Classic Vibe Series is the exception for Squiers. They ARE GOOD guitars. Not budget. Like you said, about the same price as a MIM Strat.

I've heard nothing but good things about them

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 26, 2009,
I've played one for a few days while I was on vacation. It was about as good as my Ibanez GSA60, though I had a really weird combination of strings (.042, .042, then standard 5th, then standard 3rd) so it felt strange.
They are cheaper than Fenders, so it allows new guitarists to get in the game.
But they pay for it all later when bad habits develop because their guitar wasn't up to scratch...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Some are great (Mine is awesome, after I modded it it's super awesome!) some are horrible, you got a bad one.
my made in korea squier strat from late 80's sounds and feels MUCH better than any MIM strat that i've played. i just had to replace some hardware, and this baby is good to go.

generally squier is not the way to go if you're looking for quality, but it feels awesome to have a squier that you love.
It's all about feel
Quote by jonmo1
The Classic Vibe Series is the exception for Squiers. They ARE GOOD guitars. Not budget. Like you said, about the same price as a MIM Strat.

I've heard nothing but good things about them

The classic vibe is a good $200 cheaper...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've played some really great squiers but I've also played some real Shit ones.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
It's not the sound of a squire that worries me. It's the build quality and the quality of the components.

There's nothing worse then your guitar going out of tune in the middle of a song.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
mine is quite good.but the one that a friend of mine owns is ****.so i guess it's like jonmo1 says:hit or miss
“Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.”
Quote by osXtiger
They are cheaper than Fenders, so it allows new guitarists to get in the game.
But they pay for it all later when bad habits develop because their guitar wasn't up to scratch...

Could you please give some examples of what type of bad habits could develop?
Quote by thehikingdude
Could you please give some examples of what type of bad habits could develop?

The bad habit of buying cheap gear and then spending more time trying to keep your guitar in tune then actually practicing.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Honestly, I only started this because I saw so many people with squiers listed and thought to myself "Why does anyone own this guitar if they have more to play with?" I'm the type of guy that wants to get rid of the bad when I bring in the better. I mean, that way I can just create an arsenal of great guitars. With that being said, my Ibanez SA needs a new home. 7 years with it did me well and I take pride in my ownership by being good to my axes, so it's in pretty good shape.
Guits-
PRS Standard 22 Satin Nitro 2007
PRS 25th Anniversary 513 2010
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 2012
Gibson Flying V 67 Reissue 1990
Ovation Applause AE 147
Some ratty Concert Guitar that actually sounds decent

If you go to a decent shop they will get you a good Squier. While not as good as the more expensive Fenders they are fine to learn and play on. I have a Squier Tele Custom II P90 and enjoy playing it. It is easy to play and sounds OK to once I set it up as I prefer.
Quote by theraven871
The bad habit of buying cheap gear and then spending more time trying to keep your guitar in tune then actually practicing.

So in other words there aren't any. Just wanted to confirm.

If you can't play a cheap guitar, it's the player - not the guitar. I've heard that excuse a 1000 times too many.
They are very good to practice guitar repair and mods on since they are so cheap. Not only price wise but quality wise too. See what a rise in tongue is and you'll know what I mean. That can be fixed and if you're modding a Squier nobody really cares.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by bagpipemetal
Some are great (Mine is awesome, after I modded it it's super awesome!) some are horrible, you got a bad one.

I have a gig worthy Squier . I can do any Hendrix cover except I dont have his 12 minute legendary sustain lol. They are cheap guitars...but I honestly dont know why some people hate them so much. I do agree that you should never buy one without playing it.

I wanted a strat because i missed my old one. I played some MIM's and I found this Squier. Of course the MIM's sounded better, but not good enough to justify the difference in price. I upgraded the pups and now its very nice.

So what if it doesnt sound as good in the store. If the top shelf guitar is $1200 and the bottom shelf guitar is $200 you have to consider a few things. Are they similar in construction and wood types?

If so....and the $1200 guitar gets a 9 out of 10 in tone.
And the $200 guitar gets a 7 out of 10 in tone...

just imagine what you are going to have when you get rid of the pickups that were the cheapest thing they could find.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 26, 2009,
Some of you guys are whack. "Ohhh they don't stay in tuneeee"....spare me and learn how to set up a guitar properly. You get what you pay for. The Bullets and Affinities are def. nothing special, but look at their price as well. I've got a Vintage Modified Strat and a Standard Series Tele, both of which have been great guitars and lasted me a few years without any hiccups.

Honest pro's of playing one? Well, I really like mine to the point where there is no real point in spending 500 on one Mexi-Fender. The higher-end Squiers are a good substitute to a Mexi Fender.

It's also just fun to see other musicians stare at you like "why the hell are you playing a Squier?" Brand name biggotry and too many kiddies spouting out information that they have no experience or understanding of.
Honestly i agree with the post above ive played about 5 jap squiers over my lifetime and theyre amazing little things and go dirt cheap online.

The otherday i tried a squier classic vibes squier and couldnt put it down, so much so that i bought the little bugger!!

I have even played affinity strats by squier i can say werent bad especially for starter guitars. When i was younger you had alot worse and im only 20.
I dont get how on this forum you seem to get people with little knowledge of brands slagging them off for little to no reason, if you dont like it thats fine but u dont have to force it down others throats
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I have played some squiers that were every bit as good and in some cases WAY better than mim strats

especially the older ones

the new ones are a hit and miss but i LOVE the classic vibe series...play really nice and sound good and not uber expensive.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
I've got a Squier Affinity Strat. It's always played fine for me and it's over 6 years old. I've never once had a problem with it. I took out the whammy though or else it would get out of tune. I think Squier is a good brand, I even bought a Squier affinity P-Bass once again no problems its my favorite bass. I think that "budget guitars" can be as good as more expensive guitars. It just depends on the player. Of course I agree with always trying out a guitar before you buy it, its like a car, would you buy one over the internet without a test drive?