I've been playing bass now since June 29th 09 and I've gotten quite good.

I'm just wondering when the strings need to be changed? How do you know when they need to be changed? Will they sound different?

My string are starting to look a bit worn by the bridge and seem to almost be splitting. Especially the G string which is the one i use the least.

What thickness of srings would also be better for playing pop/punk songs like Green Day, Sex Pistols, Blink 182 etc

cheers
When they start getting dull or fraying or breaking. When you get new strings they'll sound 'tinny' but it'll go away as you break them in. I just changed mine last week and the tinny sound is already nearly gone.
they should be good for a year. it depends how high a qualtily ones the guitar comes with. what bass is it? either that of wait untill it snaps. bass strings are rather expensive nowa days. i payed £16 for the cheapest set out of 3 diffenrt shops. you cant go wrong with a set of 45 gauge strings. (medum)
analouge effects FTW!!

If you think Kurt Cobain was murdered put this in your sig.
Quote by jammy827
they should be good for a year. it depends how high a qualtily ones the guitar comes with. what bass is it? either that of wait untill it snaps. bass strings are rather expensive nowa days. i payed £16 for the cheapest set out of 3 diffenrt shops. you cant go wrong with a set of 45 gauge strings. (medum)

A year? Even some of the best coated strings, or flatwounds don't last that long.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
When they start sounding bad? Thats when I change em. Although Jamerson was know to never change them unless they broke.
In his own words: "The dirt keeps the funk."
Id say it really depends on how much you play and how hard you play. Everybody goes through strings at a different pace, you know? As they start to show bad wear and tear, lose their brightness (in sound), and rust... those are some good signs you need to change em :P
okay guys cheers. Thats all cleared up. Just wanted to know when i should change them.

If they frey loads more i'll change them.
Quote by FionnRuadh
When they start sounding bad? Thats when I change em. Although Jamerson was know to never change them unless they broke.
In his own words: "The dirt keeps the funk."

thought it was 'the gunk helps the funk'
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by SHWAG
When they start getting dull or fraying or breaking. When you get new strings they'll sound 'tinny' but it'll go away as you break them in. I just changed mine last week and the tinny sound is already nearly gone.

I must disagree, and I would like to note that though what you say is partly true, you would do well buying flatwounds next time.

change them once every month or two.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by gilly_90

Yeah your right I was paraphrasing really :p It did wonders for his tone, dirty flats on a fretted P bass
Quote by jammy827
they should be good for a year.

Just because they haven't broken yet, doesn't mean they sound good...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
If I could afford it I would change strings once a week... I really dig that fresh roundwound string sound.
Baaaaaaazz
I change mine just about every month. Some people never change them. So whatever floats your boat there kiddo.

For pop-punk/punk though, chances are your going to want to change them fairly regularly.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Aug 26, 2009,
Rounds--when the sound displeases your ear and depends on how much you play. I can't stand my Elites after about 12 solid weeks of play.

However, I've had the same set of flats on my Accubass for about 7 months now and the more they go on, the better I seem to like them. There may be something to the changing philosophy of James Jamerson and Bernard Edwards (Chic).
I've still got factory strings on 2 basses (one was manufactured in 2003), my short-scale got new strings in May, and the P-Bass knockoff has had the same strings since December 2007, if I remember properly. They all sound great, by the way.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
like many people have said before, it mostly depends on how much you play. however, i consider myself an exception. i like the sound of old strings, i think it gives it a darker, fuller sound. so i usually buy a new set of strings every couple of months (and also because i have no money).

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
If you like the zing then when they go dead put some washing up liquid into a saucepan with some water and boil the strings for 5 minutes, then dry them thoroughly then put them back on.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Ashdown Perfect Ten Minirig
Ashdown ABM 4 X10 and 1 X 15
Every millennium for that funky gunky tone.

When you want to, because they sound bad.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by waynepunkdude
If you like the zing then when they go dead put some washing up liquid into a saucepan with some water and boil the strings for 5 minutes, then dry them thoroughly then put them back on.

Soaking them 12-24 hours in denatured alcohol is way more efficient!
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by jamesbcfc
I've been playing bass now since June 29th 09 and I've gotten quite good.

I'm just wondering when the strings need to be changed? How do you know when they need to be changed? Will they sound different?

My string are starting to look a bit worn by the bridge and seem to almost be splitting. Especially the G string which is the one i use the least.

What thickness of srings would also be better for playing pop/punk songs like Green Day, Sex Pistols, Blink 182 etc

cheers

change them bout every 2-3 months thats what i do, also a reccomendation is the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Bass strings as im pretty sure Hoppus from Blink uses those strings.As do i :P they usually go for round about £20 a packet.

Hope that kinda helps in the department of what strings to get.They will sound a bit tinny as said above but that dissapears quickly.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by QvistDK

I've tried it before but I prefer boiling, just personal preference I guess.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Quote by Hobble
A year? Even some of the best coated strings, or flatwounds don't last that long.

Ya. DR coated strings last for about 1 1/2 months. I've tried one set of those new Rotosound coated strings, and those are still going strong after just under a month and a half, but the the coating is starting to chip (a lot), and they've lost some brightness, so I'm thinking they'll last about 2 months.

With normal rounds, it depends heavily on the string and how hard/how much you play. With regular use, steels last 3-4weeks, while nickels last 2-3 weeks.

With flats... Flats already come kinda dead, and if you like that sound, leaving them on longer is just more of what you want I guess, other than Rotosound flats I guess, which are pretty bright as far as flats go. Jamerson left his on for as long as 5 years. I wouldn't recommend flats for pop punk though.

Quote by gilly_90

In Standing in the Shadows of Motown (the documentary, not the book), his son says "dirt," but he might be paraphrasing I guess.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by waynepunkdude
I've tried it before but I prefer boiling, just personal preference I guess.

Yeah as long as it works man
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by QvistDK
Yeah as long as it works man

Indeed at least we're not throwing money away
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Quote by the humanity

I must disagree, and I would like to note that though what you say is partly true, you would do well buying flatwounds next time.

change them once every month or two.

Every month or two? I have to disagree. I don't even generally LIKE the tone until a couple weeks in (I use high treble settings though, so I guess the brightness of new strings is just too much or something); once every month or two is a waste of time, money, and means that your tone is going to be bad at least a fourth of the time.

Edit: I guess it just depends on the strings; my opinion is you dont' have to change for at least half a year, but D'Addario's are known to last awhile without losing tone, and they're what I use (in a pretty high gauge), so I guess it's just whatever you use....
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by waynepunkdude
Indeed at least we're not throwing money away

AMEN TO THAT !!!
Baaaaaaazz
Personal preference. There is a well known bassist whose name eludes me who has had the same flatwound strings on his bass for upwards of 30 years. Change them when you don't like the tone you're getting from them anymore.
Quote by herby190
Every month or two? I have to disagree. I don't even generally LIKE the tone until a couple weeks in (I use high treble settings though, so I guess the brightness of new strings is just too much or something); once every month or two is a waste of time, money, and means that your tone is going to be bad at least a fourth of the time.

Edit: I guess it just depends on the strings; my opinion is you dont' have to change for at least half a year, but D'Addario's are known to last awhile without losing tone, and they're what I use (in a pretty high gauge), so I guess it's just whatever you use....

hmmph.

sounds like you don't like rounds to me. ever played on a pair of flats? in my experience, D'addario go dead fast, but keep that little remembrance of tone a while.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I myself have been debating this. I'd say the people who said until the sound displeases the ears, thats right on the dot for me and probably most people.
Try adding more delay.
i change mine about every 3-4 weeks. thats with 3 or so hours of playing a day and maybe 2 or 3 gigs a week. depends how often you play. when your gigging for a living, you might need to change every week or as steve harris does, every gig!
Quote by eazy-c
The Necropeadophile lyrics are great. It has such a bouncy rhythm, like a twisted nursery rhyme.
Quote by QvistDK

And it doesn't rust the strings.
Quote by herby190

I'm going to state this in caps because I seriously think you should-

TRY FLATWOUND.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard