I have this problem where if I play anything above the 12th fret, mostly on the upper three strings, I get this fluttery, auto-tremolo. They are highly pronounced by distortion, as demonstrated by this clip (fret 12, 17, 22 first bridge then neck when it loops back to the high string). That bend was me, not the flutter issue I addressed. :P

I think there are two possibilities, and I hope to God it's the former:
1. I didn't balance the bridge correctly. When I first got my Bare Knuckle Painkiller pickups set, I had them professionally installed and the Ibanez S7320 7-string professionally setup. Since then, I've tuned to BEADGBE, half step down. Problem is; I can't remember if I did or didn't have this problem before I changed the tuning/bridge setup myself. I distinctly remember having this problem a while back... so perhaps the problem is:
2. Pickup pole placement is in error. Either they were manufactured incorrectly (lemon) or they were placed in wrong. The pickup ears had to be shaved to fit. You can see in this picture that the strings don't go center over the poles... this is most distinct on the bridge pickup but can also be seen on the neck. It looks as if they radiate outwards from the center

So which is it?
Last edited by G.9 at Aug 26, 2009,
3 - your pickups are too close the the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If I balanced a ruler from the top of the pickup and measured to the bottom edge of the string, the neck PU came to .5cm and the bridge .4cm... if that sounds whack I'm just using the wrong units :P
7 half steps down?? So your low E is now a low A? Thats a pretty low tunning. Did it flutter before you tunned down that low?

Also don't worry so much about the poles not being lined up with the strings, they wil still pick up the vibrations. When you bend a string it is never going to stay over the pole, but it still picks up the sound.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
7 half steps down?? So your low E is now a low A? Thats a pretty low tunning. Did it flutter before you tunned down that low?

Also don't worry so much about the poles not being lined up with the strings, they wil still pick up the vibrations. When you bend a string it is never going to stay over the pole, but it still picks up the sound.

Sorry, I just realized how badly-worded my first post was. It's a 7 string guitar, so I meant to say 7-string standard tuning (BEADGBE), half step down. Edited my first post.

Scale length is 25.5", string gauge is .59. Originally tuned to AEADGBE, now tuned to standard 7-string guitar tuning, but a half step down.

I don't know... I mean, it just looks incredibly lopsided.
It doesn't matter what the measurements are, just lower them and see if the problem goes away. Those Painkillers have pretty hefty magnets in them, .5cm is nothing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter what the measurements are, just lower them and see if the problem goes away. Those Painkillers have pretty hefty magnets in them, .5cm is nothing.

Before I give that a try, I have a question. The lower strings don't really have this problem; why do the higher strings have it?

So the alignment of the strings means nothing, essentially?
Quote by G.9
Before I give that a try, I have a question. The lower strings don't really have this problem; why do the higher strings have it?

No not really. The volume may be the slightest bit lower but thats about it.

Bend a string and watch it over the PU's, it will not be over the pole anymore, but you can still hear it ringing.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by G.9

Just do it ffs, it'll take you all of 3 seconds
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It might be to do with discordance? If you play some notes which are a half step away from each other they sort of make a tremolo sound. (on my classical guitar atleast)
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Actually, pickup height had nothing to do with it. Lowered them, still got the sound. Perhaps unbalanced bridge?

I'm thinking of just doing a full resetup while I'm at it (changing from half step down to drop A with some new strings I got). Though I really don't know the order of what to do.
Last edited by G.9 at Aug 31, 2009,