If an amp has gain, channel volume and master volume, does the channel volume change the late preamp or the early power amp?
***Short Sig***
i think its so u can make one channel louder than the other for boosts. the gain is preamp, channel volume is power amp gain, and master volume is how much actually reaches the speakers. to be honest, thats just my best guess.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i think its so u can make one channel louder than the other for boosts. the gain is preamp, channel volume is power amp gain, and master volume is how much actually reaches the speakers. to be honest, thats just my best guess.

No, the master volume does not control the volume after the power amp, but before it. Channel volumes go before that but still after the preamp. Gain is before preamp.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

Wouldn't that make the master volume an attenuator?
***Short Sig***
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']Wouldn't that make the master volume an attenuator?
Unless they're connected to an amplifier, technically all volume knobs are attenuators.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Ok,
-The gain knob most likely controls the saturation of a preamp gain stage i.e. half of a 12AX7.
-The channel volume should be at the very end of that preamp channel, right before the phase inverter
-The master volume will be post phase inverter, pre power tube.

I can be more specific if I know what amp it is.
Quote by Roc8995
Ok,
-The gain knob most likely controls the saturation of a preamp gain stage i.e. half of a 12AX7.
-The channel volume should be at the very end of that preamp channel, right before the phase inverter
-The master volume will be post phase inverter, pre power tube.

I can be more specific if I know what amp it is.

That's perfect, thanks

The amp was a blackstar S-1 100 incase you're wondering.
***Short Sig***
I don't have a schematic for that amp, but it looks to be a pretty standard layout so I can confidently say that what I posted before is what's going on.

They're all volume controls, just in three different places.