I've been playing for about 5 years and I feel I'm still very average. Even a lot of my friends who have only been playing for a year or so can shred, and they literally school me every time we jam. I've never had lessons so I'm probably slower than most but I'd like to improve my speed.

The problem is that whenever I come to a fast section in a solo, or a shred passage, I mess up in 2 ways. Firstly I always end up trying to overdo it and trip myself up, missing notes, making unwanted notes ring out, and generally making a mess.
Secondly, I get completely lost in the heat of the moment. I know my scales and can make up some pretty cool riffs and solos when playing slowly, but when I need to play fast, for some reason I forget everything and all I can do is very very sloppy hammer ons over the same 2 or 3 notes, ie:

e |-12--15-----------12--15----------
b |----------12--15-----------12--15-

So how can I improve my speed and also make up cool licks to play quickly?
Thanks
Honestly, I would highly recommend you get the Speed Kills DVD. It's one of the highest rated DVDs on the market and it deals with teaching you to shred.

I got it years back and after a few months I improved greatly. The DVD not only deals with fingering technique but advanced picking techniques as well.

Here is a link:

http://metalmethod.com/lead-guitar-lesson-speed-kills.htm
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
First of all, I wouldn't keep trying to compare yourself with your friends. Everyone learns at a different pace, and you'll just have to accept that you may learn at a slower one.

Try practicing with a metronome, and also practice slowly and don't rush something. When you rush your going to make it sloppy. Eventually, you'll be able to play it, just be patient.

How often/much do you practice?
Perhaps u need to work on your practice techniques. Incorrect practice can hold any musician back no matter how great of a melody maker they are. There are some good lessons for correct practice in the lessons section of UG.........Stick with it though, everyone hits ruts along the way.
On the topic of making up cool licks on the spot, just make up patterns you can repeat, and learn how to play the same patterns on all the strings so they can take you somewhere musically. Also learning them vertically up the neck would help to take you to different positions.

For instance, the one that you posted was actually fine. But I'd suggest playing it like this:

e - 12h15p12
B - - - - - 12h15p12

And then after you play that 4 or 8 or whatever times (or maybe you don't even repeat it, it's up to you), you could take it down a string and play it like

B - 12h15p12
G - - - - - 12h15p12

Normally the correct thing would be to play the 14th fret on the G string, but I think the blue note sounds cooler and opens up more ideas. Anyway, that might give you the picture.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by Dnouw
Perhaps u need to work on your practice techniques. Incorrect practice can hold any musician back no matter how great of a melody maker they are. There are some good lessons for correct practice in the lessons section of UG.........Stick with it though, everyone hits ruts along the way.

Everyone should read this post. He hit the nail directly on the head!
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Its the quality of practice that does it. If you practice to a good standard that will be reflected in your playing. If you just kind of practice then you playing will only be kind of good. Start slow and accurate and build the speed up but keep the accuracey and good technique going.
Quote by Freepower
Read the sticky. Practice lots of cool licks. Make up more cool licks. Repeat.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

TS- proper practice make perfect players. i'll leave it at that.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
heres the thing dont sweat the small stuff. if you hit a bad note make your next note go with the bad one and slowly move into a different scale. make your bad notes seem like you did it on purpose and if you flat out screw up dont just start over or stop playing wait for a good spot to jump in and continue playing. u really shouldnt worry about playing fast all that matters is playing good. i mean look at robert johnson or david gilmour. thehy play slow a majority of the time and are considered two of the best guitarists ever in certain circles. find a pace that works for you and stick with it thats all that matters.
Umm. Move your picking hand kinda fast and randomly hit any note(even if you screw up) on any fret on any string. Push yourself up a level. Distortion will cover up the mistakes anyway

Well anyways I done that about a month ago and I can kinda shred and hit notes cleanly.

Note: Probably not the best idea to try.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Umm. Move your picking hand kinda fast and randomly hit any note(even if you screw up) on any fret on any string. Push yourself up a level. Distortion will cover up the mistakes anyway

Well anyways I done that about a month ago and I can kinda shred and hit notes cleanly.

No offense, but that's downright retarded.

You can't shred.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by vinnie-watt5

You sound like my bassist.

BA-ZING!
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Sonicxlover, how would you play that lick? the only way i could play it without messing up would be to barre the 12th fret and use my pinky to hammer on and pull off each note but that's most definitely the stupid way. how do you do it?
If you can't play fast you shouldn't try to play fast; when you're playing in front of other people or with other people for the purpose of entertainment you should stick to what you can do.
Until you can shred, try coming up with some chord progressions to play under their shredding, take up the rhythm role. Or try guiding the jam session into a slower area where you're more comfortable taking a lead role.

When you're practicing is the time to try to expand your capabilities. Take things slow, make sure your technique is correct e.g. are you alternate picking? Are you doing it correctly?
Try some simple things, such as a scale run like:

E||-20-17-19-20-19-17---------------------------------------------------------------------17-19-20-
B||-------------------20-18-17-18-20-18-17---------------------------------------17-18-20-------
G||----------------------------------------19-17-16-17-16----------------16-17-19------------
D||-------------------------------------------------------19-17-15-17-19-----------------------

Work on things like that slowly and build up speed. Remember, if at any point it sounds sloppy or a little rough around the edges: slow down again!
Quote by wardyh
Sonicxlover, how would you play that lick? the only way i could play it without messing up would be to barre the 12th fret and use my pinky to hammer on and pull off each note but that's most definitely the stupid way. how do you do it?

Yup, that's how you do it.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by steven seagull
No offense, but that's downright retarded.

You can't shred.

LMAO. I was for like 15 minutes.

Take it slow, as everyone on this thread has said. Find some scales that you like and play them slowly, with whatever technique you want to use, Down picking, Upstrokes, Alternate Picking, Economy picking, whatever. And gradually just increase the tempo. http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php Go here for a scale generator, its also got other stuff, like a metronome and chord generator.
speed is just a by-product you acheive when you practice enough playing stuff.
of course that if you`ll work specifically on techniques,you`ll progress faster.
BUT,in my opinion,thats not what playing is about..
i can understand that playing fast is cool and fun,
but it should not be a main goal.
just have fun playing what you can,ignore what other people can do,
we`re different people,there`s no point in comparisons.