Okay any of you guys know of a build or a schematic that is a bluesy overdrive pedal kind of thing? I`m sure many of you do.

Now do any of you know of a bluesy OD pedal with an onn off switchable extra gain stage added in?

If not please just reccomend a schematic with a good bluesy clip and I`ll add the gain stage myself...

Thanks
My Gear

Fender MIM Tele
Jackson DKMG
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier
Crate v50 w/ mods
Rougue Mahogany Accoustic
Quote by Taylor B
Okay any of you guys know of a build or a schematic that is a bluesy overdrive pedal kind of thing? I`m sure many of you do.

Now do any of you know of a bluesy OD pedal with an onn off switchable extra gain stage added in?

If not please just reccomend a schematic with a good bluesy clip and I`ll add the gain stage myself...

Thanks

The VOX Satchurator does that on/off switchable extra gain stage thing. Too bad there ain't any schematics of that floating around.

What you could try, though: find a Blues OD schematic that already seems to work and try incorporating a (x)dB signal booster before the output jack. I don't think you'd want to put it right after the input jack, though, since you'd also be boosting the overdrive rather than just the signal and getting a really 'blegh' sound. So it's not really an extra gain stage but just a signal boost. Most of the time guitarists think they need more gain when all they really need is a signal boost to bring up their dynamics. It actually gives the illusion of an extra gain stage anyway because you're removing the subtleties of a normal overdrive pedal.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 26, 2009,
Yeah, I thought about that but I already have a boost I really think the extra gain stage is what I`m after.

Not a crazy extra gain stage though just something to add a little fuzz and up the distortion a notch while still retaining the bluesy style clip.

Any bluesy OD schematics you suggest?
My Gear

Fender MIM Tele
Jackson DKMG
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier
Crate v50 w/ mods
Rougue Mahogany Accoustic
Most pedals just have the one gain stage, so a gain stage boost would have to essentially be what Hoffman mentioned, a regular OD with another boost in front of it. Otherwise your midboost switch would just be like turning the gain knob up, which is kind of useless.

Instead of a clean boost you could do a midboost, I think that would be closer to what you're looking for since it'll up the gain and give you a little more fatness without being over the top. A modded tubescreamer with a midboost in front of it would be just what you need.

Another alternative might be a gainy midboost with a full range boost in front of it, sort of an EH knockout EQ with gain.
You could build a MXR Distortion+ and add in a FET gain stage. Very easy and great-sounding circuit. If possible, use a LM 741CN (same as the originals). They sound the best. You can prolly still get them at RadioShack.

I built one, but for some really strange reason, it wouldn't distort no matter what I did. It gave me an orgasmic clean tone, though. I actually put it into my amp so that it's the first thing the guitar sees. Really made the cleans alot better.