I really adore Level 42 and Mark King and I was wondering if anyone could help me start capturing the same sound and style as him.

I can play slap-bass already.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And learning his songs will help you understand his style.

Thank you Ben! If you know his songs you will be able to play in his style in your own compositions.
He does a lot of machine gun style which is popping hammering on and then slapping, with left hand slap mixed in a lot. You also have to be a bit of a prick you know. Hes fast, so getting up to semiquavers is a must, and i mean being able to slap 16ths with your thumb straight, and do the same while popping.

Sound wise either an alembic or fender jazz, through a Trace Elliot or Ashdown, compressed signal(or anything with a graphic eq) and then 10's, i cant say ive heard him use many effects, but compression and alot of it is there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The main thing for any one looking two play slap as i stated is to be a prick and a wanker. Then your bound to be spotted.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
The main thing for any one looking two play slap as i stated is to be a prick and a wanker. Then your bound to be spotted.

Not a bash at you, i play slap a lot as well but it is quiet a look at me show off thing, and slap players who just about solely use the technique well you must have noticed.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Not a bash at you, i play slap a lot as well but it is quiet a look at me show off thing, and slap players who just about solely use the technique well you must have noticed.

No-one can 'solely' use slap-bass technique- otherwise you end up being a one-trick-pony.

Even Mark King doesn't use it all the time, and there are songs when he doesn't even play a single slapped note.
I give up.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I give up.

Thank f**k for that.

Just to keep it on topic: remember, King started out as a drummer. His founding principle is to play the bass like a drum kit - thumb for the bass drum parts, fingers for snare.
Don't worry, she'll have a completely different style she wants to play next week. Everyone get ready to teach her how to be Cliff Burton.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Don't worry, she'll have a completely different style she wants to play next week. Everyone get ready to teach her how to be Cliff Burton.

I'm a massive fan of Level 42, I want to play like Mark King for sure.
pop-slap. the beginner bassists shortcut to playing off time.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
pop-slap. the beginner bassists shortcut to playing off time.

And there we have, ladies and gentlemen, somebody who, by listening to Lessons In Love thinks he has Level 42 nailed. Listen to Mr. Pink, 43 or Heathrow. You understand that Level 42 gained acclaim as a live act due to their amzingly tight playing? Fool. Okay, so now I've finished telling wankers how to wank, my view. I've been playing for a while and King is difficult to emulate. Couple of things, buy a metronome, learn how to use left hand slapping very effectively, make sure your rhythm is spot on (Something I had trouble with.) And finall, practise . For his tone, especially in the 80's it was a Jaydee bass (He has a signature model now.) Through Trace Elliot amplification. Lots of compression. Very light gauge strings, 90 - 30, if I remember correctly. King was a drummer originally, and therefore his playing style is very rythmical. Also, I believe he is left handed. I haven't seen proof though. And becuase he plays right handed, with his strong point being his left hand slaps, I'm going to say that it is a slight advantage, not that you can do anything about that.. Well, unless you are left handed, playing right handed. Hope I helped.

Johan.
Gear:

Epiphone Sheraton 1962 50th Anniversary 212TV,

Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer,
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy,
Vox V847 Wah-Wah,

Vox TB35C1.
No, you can't, TS. Your playing will sound like him, but unlike him. It'll always have traces of your own style, regardless of whether you're an average bob, or an autistic savant with an eye for bass.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.