What chord is this?

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-5-|
|-3-|
|-0-|
|---|

Here is the progression in case there are multiple things that it could be.

|-0--0-----|
|-0--0-----|
|-5--2--9--|
|-3--2--12--|
|-0--x--10--|
|----3--8--|

EDIT: The tuning is C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Last edited by DrPeppler at Aug 26, 2009,
The only things that I can come up with are a F#m or Em of some kind. I may be completely wrong, though. My knowledge of theory is still growing.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
F#mi9addb6

EDIT: At least I think that's how it would be notated.
Last edited by KillahSquirrel at Aug 26, 2009,
What about this?

Esus4add9

Probably wrong again. hah

EDIT: Em7sus4add9

Quote by z4twenny
Last edited by DrPeppler at Aug 26, 2009,
All 3 chords are derived from A major scale, so most logic would be:

Amaj13
E6add9
Aadd9 or C#m7#5
Last edited by deHufter at Aug 26, 2009,
I would still say its F#m9addb6, however after thinking it over, I guess it would just be notated as F#minor b13.
Actually, calling the chord a rootless Bm13 would make a nice ii - V - I progression in A major: Bm13 E6add9 Aadd9
Last edited by deHufter at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by KillahSquirrel
I would still say its F#m9addb6, however after thinking it over, I guess it would just be notated as F#minor b13.

I have re-analyzed it and I agree with you, but not with a flat thirteen. How are you getting a flat thirteen?

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by deHufter
Actually, calling the chord a rootless Bm13 would make a nice ii - V - I progression in A major: Bm13 E13 Aadd9

I believe you have have misinterpreted the tuning...

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by DrPeppler
I believe you have have misinterpreted the tuning...

The tuning is C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#.

Where E string = C#, A string = F#, D string = B ..... etc
Quote by KillahSquirrel
Yeah, never mind; I'm being stupid. If it's an F# chord, it's an F#minor,add9,addb13.

You're kidding me
Quote by deHufter
The tuning is C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#.

Where E string = C#, A string = F#, D string = B ..... etc

Never mind. You are correct. I think that it could either be an A11add13 or a F#madd13.

Quote by z4twenny
How about C#m6(addb9)? In context of the progression, F#m6(add9)?

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by DrPeppler
Never mind. You are correct. I think that it could either be an A11add13 or a F#madd13.

A11add13?

11 implies there's a dominant 7 so it should be named A13. But in this case you have the open G# which makes it a major 7th, so Amaj13.
Okay, this may simplify things.

I wrote a song that is mainly just a rhythm guitar track that I am going to put a bass solo over. I have completed the guitar track and was about to write the bass solo until I remembered that I do not have any instruments to use ATM. I thought, "Why not try to write it using only my knowledge of theory?" This is when I noticed that I should probably figure out the progression of the chords I used. Then I noticed that I did not even know what chords I was using. Well, some of them anyway.

Would it be easier to decipher this chord if one were to have the entire song? I can post a Powertab and ASCII in the Composition Chat/Critique sticky if it would be helpful.

Quote by z4twenny