Hi,

I am currently viewing the Tiny Terror, as a potential amp to buy with a PPC212/412. I had recently posted a thread asking if the T.T. could do a heavy sound, like Dead Swans/Gallows. I am now wondering if changing the tubes to a better high gain set;

Tung Sol "high gain" 12AX7 tubes maybe?

All this tubes buisness is new to me, so any suggestions for a set of tubes to get beefy dark saturated tone (here is a video of how I'd like it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUhcpxOezdA (start at 1.55).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I can easily create such a sound even with the stock tubes. All you need is a clean boost from a screamer of some sort.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
I can easily create such a sound even with the stock tubes. All you need is a clean boost from a screamer of some sort.

Is this using a Tiny Terror?
Check out eurotubes.com. They sell tube kits catering to different amps and different tonalities. I bought my a high gain kit from them for my Rockerverb and I will continue to buy all my tubes from them.
joshuaestock.com
tube changes are for fine tuning your sound. if you cant get a "metal" enough sound now, then either look into a boost of some sort, or a more metal oriented amp. /opinion
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by thedonutman
More gain doesn't make you sound heavier. heaviness comes from proper technique, appropriate articulation and playing the right notes!

Yep, I could imagine that Dream Theater would sound just as heavy if they used Deluxe Reverbs instead of Mark Vs.

Heavy= both gain and technique. You aren't going to sound br00talz if you are playing through an Ampeg VH140C but only playing campfire songs.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Yep, I could imagine that Dream Theater would sound just as heavy if they used Deluxe Reverbs instead of Mark Vs.

Heavy= both gain and technique. You aren't going to sound br00talz if you are playing through an Ampeg VH140C but only playing campfire songs.

Well said.
i used to own a TT and it really benefits from an OD and an EQ. doesn't exactly excel at "heavy sounds" but it's atleast passable with a boost and some EQing.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by BeethovensBust

Touche. But have you ever heard the bands the OP listed? br00talz isn't the word I would use to describe the guitar sound.
Quote by kyle62
Biggest differences, in order:

Overdrive Pedal
Speaker
Pickups
Tubes

i strongly agree. well of course the one step bigger after the pedal would be a different amp. but before the amp, a clean boost would push your amp to sound more like something in your definition of a "heavy sound".

people always think that changing pickups or tubes would make a world of difference. they always seem to forget that most of your sound depends on your amp model, followed by your hands.