I'm considering getting one of these but I have a few questions
1) What are the differences between the 5:25 (EL-84) and 5:50 (6L6)?
2) Are they both loud enough to gig with?
3) What's the difference between class A and class A/B?
One of the main differences b/t the 5:25 and 5:50 is that the 5:25 can be 5W or 25W, while the 5:50 can be 5 or 50. So the main difference is that the 5:50 uses higher wattage/output tubes. There may be other subtle differences, but that is about it.

Both should be sufficient enough for gigs. My RM80 running at 25W is too loud for my room at its lowest levels. It just depends on how much power you want.

I believe Class A and Class A/B refers to the wattage and number of power tubes used. If i'm reading correctly, then Class A uses one power tube, and Class A/B uses two or more power tubes. But i could be wrong.

Because either one can get you 5W, which is plenty for bedroom practice, you just need to decide whether you want 25W or 50W. Both should be sufficient for gigs.

If you need any more info, just PM me.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Check out a pretty recent column on different amp classes for 3)
Other than that, haven't played a Mesa Express so can't help, sorry

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by JKMV11
One of the main differences b/t the 5:25 and 5:50 is that the 5:25 can be 5W or 25W, while the 5:50 can be 5 or 50. So the main difference is that the 5:50 uses higher wattage/output tubes. There may be other subtle differences, but that is about it.

Both should be sufficient enough for gigs. My RM80 running at 25W is too loud for my room at its lowest levels. It just depends on how much power you want.

I believe Class A and Class A/B refers to the wattage and number of power tubes used. If i'm reading correctly, then Class A uses one power tube, and Class A/B uses two or more power tubes. But i could be wrong.

Because either one can get you 5W, which is plenty for bedroom practice, you just need to decide whether you want 25W or 50W. Both should be sufficient for gigs.

If you need any more info, just PM me.

Gist of it.

Class A generally has lower headroom but is more responsive to playing dynamics. Class AB generally has more headroom than similar wattage class A
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks