I have been on this site for years now and i figured i would finally use it for something other than just tabs

i picked up a guitar about 4 years ago and just started teaching myself, the first two years i wasnt into it a whole lot but in the past two years it has become the love of my life

i have gotten to the point where i can play all chords and what not along with most tabs but it seems like im stuck on that level, a few months ago i started practicing the pentatonic scale and it is helping alot with finger speed

my question is what are some things that i can practice that will really help improving my playing skills, i play my acoustic about 60% of the time and electric 40%

any advice is greatly appreciated
There are no levels, just don't get too hung up on stuff that's way ahead of where you are currently. Just focus on "the next step", set realistic short term goals and aim to build directly on what you already know - that's the surefire way to ensure you progress. Be patient too, it all takes time, speed is something you shouldn't worry about because it doesnt matter. If you focus on practicing and playing correctly then speed will improve gradually over time as all the factors that govern it improve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bobdylan33
I have been on this site for years now and i figured i would finally use it for something other than just tabs

i picked up a guitar about 4 years ago and just started teaching myself, the first two years i wasnt into it a whole lot but in the past two years it has become the love of my life

i have gotten to the point where i can play all chords and what not along with most tabs but it seems like im stuck on that level, a few months ago i started practicing the pentatonic scale and it is helping alot with finger speed

my question is what are some things that i can practice that will really help improving my playing skills, i play my acoustic about 60% of the time and electric 40%

any advice is greatly appreciated

things you can practice....

music.... songs you like or that are of interest

Things you could study...

music theory... and ultimately with that tool...... music

skills you should attain before studying theory... read standard notation
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 26, 2009,
alright thanks for the advice, i guess after reading another post on here it seems like all guitar players never feel like they are good enough to themselves, that nailed it on the head for me haha
Quote by bobdylan33
alright thanks for the advice, i guess after reading another post on here it seems like all guitar players never feel like they are good enough to themselves, that nailed it on the head for me haha

This is true. I just try to enjoy it and not worry about things like that. If you enjoy what you're doing, there's a really good chance that other people will dig what you're doing as well.
shred is gaudy music
I was like this last spring, 2 things i did (and i've improved a ton) is learn theory, if u learn a lot of theory u can create your own songs very easily, and the other thing is i brought my acoustic guitar to school, now since i was learning theory a buddy and i would play a progresion, like in Am for example, and the the other one of us would play a lead part, and eventually playing gets to be very natural and instead of thinking about the theory, its all just kinda built in, basically what im getting at is learn some theory, play as much as u can (i play 10+ hours a day, but most ppl think im obssesive haha) and create some original material. But enjoy whatever u r playing, and i played acoustic every day at school for like 6 hours (i had an awesome schedule with like no classes) and then when u pick up your elecgric, its very very easy to play
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
what do you think the best way to study theory is?? books? videos?

im currently a jr. in college so i am able to play a few hours every day but on the other hand there are times which i have no time what so ever

i will probably go to the library and check out some theory books
Quote by steven seagull
There are no levels, just don't get too hung up on stuff that's way ahead of where you are currently. Just focus on "the next step", set realistic short term goals and aim to build directly on what you already know - that's the surefire way to ensure you progress. Be patient too, it all takes time, speed is something you shouldn't worry about because it doesnt matter. If you focus on practicing and playing correctly then speed will improve gradually over time as all the factors that govern it improve.

+1,000,000 mwahahahahahaha
seriously though, set a long term goal, but don't look at it. say "i want to do this but i'm going to start here at the beginning and just look at what i'm working on" if you end up constantly looking at the end goal (for me it was sweep picking recently) then you won't focus on where you're at right now, which is the most important place to be.

this is why i stopped giving a kid help, he would say "i want to do this and this and this" so i'd tell him how to go about starting and after a week or 2 i'd hear "but i can't ______ yet" and all these BS excuses. if he spent half as much time practicing as he did making practice schedules, daydreaming about being a good player and b!tching about not being a good player, he'd probably get somewhere.
Last edited by z4twenny at Aug 26, 2009,
there is nothing specific that i really want to get to right now, im really just looking for small things to help me practice and improve more efficiently over this next year while im at school
Quote by bobdylan33
what do you think the best way to study theory is?? books? videos?

im currently a jr. in college so i am able to play a few hours every day but on the other hand there are times which i have no time what so ever

i will probably go to the library and check out some theory books

definitely a book and/or a teacher or class. I've heard good things about a book called "music theory for dummies".
shred is gaudy music