hey guys!

i've had this laptop since i got to college. however this semester i have to take a music tech course. the recording quality has always been subpar (lots of cracks and cut-outs), and i was wondering if anyone knew how to make it at least decent?

apparently this is the driver i have:

conexant high definition smartaudio 221

i know the problem isn't the mic necessarily, because even when i used an external mic it would still have cut-outs and other little problems.

do i need new software or new hardware?

thanks guys!
#DTWD
You need an audio interface. Do you have a budget? What will you be recording?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
well that's the thing. this is just a basic tech class so i think it's probably just going to be producing music using programs like FL. but i don't want to limit myself in case i want to add guitar/bass/mandolin/harmonica/voice/whatever else.

it's not really a big deal, but i do like to record myself. this question was brought about by thinking of the tech class, but it's more of a long-term goal. i used to record myself on my desktop which provided decent quality. it's a lot more shaky since i've been recording my solo work on the laptop.

my friend (and more conveniently, roommate) has an m-audio interface i believe. would that solve the issue?
#DTWD
Yeah the interface should take care of the problem.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off