So my friend/roommate is looking to get a halfstack. We've been able to find two on craigslist in his pricerange (800 each).

One is a Marshall AVT150 and the other is a Vox 50 Classic Plus.

His styles include mostly classic rock/muse kind of stuff. Was wondering if GG/A had any opinions on which one or if there was any information that should definitely be known about either (known problems, general suckitude, etc.). We will most likely check both out before buying.
Quote by nickdohle
Price range? Style? Does it half to be a stack?

Price range is <1000
Styles are going to be Muse/Coheed/Classic Rock/Modern Rock. He isn't really into metal so high-gain isn't an issue.
It seems he has his sights set on a half stack
Ask him if he can suck in his pride and buy a combo. Theyre easier for everyone. BUT, if a stack it is, id avoid the Marshal AVT. I have a combo model of it. I like it alot, but its kinda unreliable. The Vox is a great way to go. Also, look in to Bugera. I LOVE there sound. Its amazing.

Also, does the price include the cab?
Orange Tiny Terror maybe? From what I hear it does the mid gain stuff rather well (no personal experience with it though).
Quote by lyonk55
Orange Tiny Terror maybe? From what I hear it does the mid gain stuff rather well (no personal experience with it though).

I will second this post! Tiny slipped my mind!!

Any mini amp head. Vox Night train is pretty amazing. I like it.
Quote by nickdohle
Ask him if he can suck in his pride and buy a combo. Theyre easier for everyone. BUT, if a stack it is, id avoid the Marshal AVT. I have a combo model of it. I like it alot, but its kinda unreliable. The Vox is a great way to go. Also, look in to Bugera. I LOVE there sound. Its amazing.

Also, does the price include the cab?

Yeah, price includes cab. I have a Bugera 333XL myself but I think he's turned off to them due to all the complaining I do about mine. Wish we had a store where we could try some different models. Our local guitar shop doesn't really stock any low-mid range amp heads.

What kind of reliability issues do you have with your AVT?
Quote by tsukihimeblood
Yeah, price includes cab. I have a Bugera 333XL myself but I think he's turned off to them due to all the complaining I do about mine. Wish we had a store where we could try some different models. Our local guitar shop doesn't really stock any low-mid range amp heads.

What kind of reliability issues do you have with your AVT?

Well only one channel works. It cut out on me completely. The boost channel is the only one that works so my cleans are non existent. That wasnt a problem when i first got it, but now im slowly getting into some mellower music and cant seem to always get the sound i want. It sometimes doesnt turn on the first time you try. Its nothing to bad i guess, but rather annoying.

EDIT: I mis read the amp model. I do not have an AVT, so im gonna just drop that whole thing. I know nothing about it. Wrong amp, my apologies.
Last edited by nickdohle at Aug 26, 2009,