Page 1 of 3
So if you're like me, then there's probably been a few points where you've turned on Cartoon Network just for sh*ts and giggles. (especially some of the stoner UG members out there....for them, i'm sure the giggles really fly)

So i decided to flip it on today, and of course, all of the programming i grew up with isn't on there anymore (Ed Edd n Eddy, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo). Which makes sense, seeing as how times change, and shows get canceled. Fine, no big deal.

Some stupid cartoon show was on, but it was right around the 30 minute mark, so on came the next show. What i saw truely stabbed my childhood right in the throat.

REALITY PROGRAMMING

That's right, CARTOON Network has started a new block of reality shows. Seriously. As in....i'm not kidding.

Go ahead and let that sink in, for those of you who enjoyed the shows i mentioned growing up.

It was bad enough when MTV stopped playing music and started showing '16 and pregnant', but they've always been about what's going to get them ratings seeing as how they're lame like that.

But what 5 to 10 year old kid gives a flying f*** about what's popular with the teen crowd?

The bottom line is, when a kid gets home from school, and plops in front of the TV, he's not gonna be thinking 'what's popular with the mainstream culture right now?'

He's gonna think 'i wanna watch something colorful and funny!' (although maybe not that direct)

Anyways, thats my very long rant. I'm gonna leave it there before i have a stroke.

TLDR VERSION:

Cartoon Network is showing reality shows, which is stupid, because they're doing what's trendy instead of sticking to their cartoon roots.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Aug 26, 2009,
Yeah I know what you mean man. I miss the days when it was all Tom and Jerry and stuff like that. Kids don't get that classic slapstick humour anymore.

EDIT: I'm going to go and watch some now just for old times sake.

EDIT2: Mind you Tom and Jerry probably isn't politically correct for todays PC standards. Not health and safety-fied.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Last edited by matt169 at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by BassFishin

But what 5 to 10 year old kid gives a flying f*** about what's popular with the teen crowd?

You, sir, have a thing or two to learn about kids.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Why the f*ck does it really matter?
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by Bizarro
I completely agree with the title.

ha! so that would include the 'long post' part then, too.
Old Nick > Old Cartoon Network.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Actually, I have seen Courage The Cowardly Dog and Ed, Edd, And Eddy on recently. Ed, Edd, And Eddy is on fairly often, in fact. And yes it is retarded that they have reality shows now, but one of them, Destroy Build Destroy, is awesome, and hosted by Andrew W.K.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Agreed, Cartoon Network is absolute crap other than a few shows on Adult Swim.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by SteveHouse

Probably. In fact, that particular sentence is definitly true.

But its like i said. When you were a kid and you came home from 2nd grade and watched tv, did you care about what teens liked, or did you wanna watch your favorite cartoon show?
For real. My 8 year old brother doesn't even watch that sh|t.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by SteveHouse

I lol'd

Ah how the times have changed
Can anyone on UG Show me how to get a signature?

In Russia, I ask my friend to play catch with live grenade. pull the Pin and Say catch, He lost, We no play catch anymore...
Quote by BassFishin
Probably. In fact, that particular sentence is definitly true.

But its like i said. When you were a kid and you came home from 2nd grade and watched tv, did you care about what teens liked, or did you wanna watch your favorite cartoon show?

Both?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I wouldnt really worry about cartoon network. Its MTV that is just redic. they have some 14 yr old singing at the VMA's. It makes me sad to see that this is where music television thinks music is going, that stupid a**programs that fixes your notes to make you sound better. Lil Wayne Kanye and this little boy should not be allowed to make music like that. It takes away from the real musicians and the real vocalist. Life isnt fair
craystarR
Boomerang FTW!
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Why the f*ck does it really matter?

You just don't understand
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by BassFishin

The bottom line is, when a kid gets home from school, and plops in front of the TV, he's not gonna be thinking 'what's popular with the mainstream culture right now?'

Maybe he/she should be thinking "Why am I plopped in front of the TV when there's hundreds of better, more creative things I could do rather than worry about what shows are featured on some ****ty cartoon channel".
Old loveable Cartoon Network = Boomerang

i have the channel
Quote by guitarlord28
I thought your avatar was slowpoke
Recently Venture Brothers was taken off the air....
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...............
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
Quote by LightninStrikes

I know! This is bull ****. That was my favorite show on CN. New episodes start in November though, along with 30 minute Metalocalypse episodes so CN's fail is temporary.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by imicius
I think the OP is 15.

I watch Blues Clues when I am stoned.

ah how i loved that program when i was a child..where do they show it?
Quote by guitarlord28
I thought your avatar was slowpoke
Quote by LightninStrikes
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...............

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Really? that was one of my favorite shows on AS next to Metalocalypse.
Quote by genghisgandhi
omg, i loved dexters labratory

This, I always thought dad was hilarious. Other shows too like Cow and Chicken, Johnny bravo, Ed Edd and eddy, Powerpuff girls. And then theres nick too.

I miss the nineties
yay I'm glad they are releasing another season of the greatest cartoon ever lol

yes, I did see this BS when I was over at my grandma's when she had my little cousins over. CN already was going down the toilet with all those crap cartoons...I mean come on..Total Drama Island? god...now it's even worse. CN was so awesome when they had Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, all that
AMD Athlon x2 5200+ (Windsor) @ 3.2Ghz--4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800 @ 910Mhz--Biostar Tforce 550--450W Rosewill Stallion PSU--250GB Seagate Barracuda--Samsung Writemaster CD/DVD R/RW--XFX Geforce 7950GT core clock 600Mhz, memory clock 760Mhz
I like Boomerang, but I wish they would show 90's cartoons more often. I mean, you can only watch Johnny Bravo and Cow and Chicken on Saturday night. And I usually end up missing them.

Annnd, I don't watch Cartoon Network unless they're showing older cartoons. I've seen previews for the new ones...and it's just terrible. The reality shows don't help either.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Quote by matt169
Yeah I know what you mean man. I miss the days when it was all Tom and Jerry and stuff like that. Kids don't get that classic slapstick humour anymore.

EDIT: I'm going to go and watch some now just for old times sake.

EDIT2: Mind you Tom and Jerry probably isn't politically correct for todays PC standards. Not health and safety-fied.

I think iTunes has a bunch of old Looney Toons episodes (for free), and most of them are labeled EXPLICIT because of violence or objectionable content.

Honestly, when I was 3-8 years old and watched Looney Toons all the time, I never noticed anything objectionable, but when I watch it now, I laugh at just how much they got away with at times.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by imicius
I think the OP is 15.

I watch Blues Clues when I am stoned.

I know I shouldn't say this, but the Fairly Odd Parents parody of Blues Clues was amazingly funny.
Quote by Karvid
I think iTunes has a bunch of old Looney Toons episodes (for free), and most of them are labeled EXPLICIT because of violence or objectionable content.

Seriously... what? It's slapstick comedy.
I watched it and I turned out fine. *twitches*
My Gear:

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by matt169
Seriously... what? It's slapstick comedy.
I watched it and I turned out fine. *twitches*

I still watch Looney Toons if I happen to turn my TV on at the right time
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
CN is heading the way of adult swim. God I hate adult swim. They have 4 funny shows. The rest is complete $hit. Want proof? "Tim and Eric Awesome Great Job"
Proud owner of a Les Paul
I actually like a couple of the new reality shows. Brainrush is great for both my love of trivia and roller coasters. Destroy, Build, Destroy is hosted by Andrew WK, it is awesome.
Quote by Karvid
I still watch Looney Toons if I happen to turn my TV on at the right time

Hell yes brotha
Wile Coyote & Roadrunner for the win.
My Gear:

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by LightninStrikes
FU

That show blows.

They still play classic cartoons sometimes, Ed Edd n Eddy is fairly often.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by JacobTheMe
I actually like a couple of the new reality shows. Brainrush is great for both my love of trivia and roller coasters. Destroy, Build, Destroy is hosted by Andrew WK, it is awesome.

Damn it, we lost another!!!
i miss watching cow and chicken
and scooby doo was very helpfull in my interest in sci-fi
Classical Guitarist
Quote by lupin50
CN is heading the way of adult swim. God I hate adult swim. They have 4 funny shows. The rest is complete $hit. Want proof? "Tim and Eric Awesome Great Job"

Give me a break, thats the best show that Adult Swim had.
love is love // return to dust
Page 1 of 3