Hi everybody. Just browsing through the CR forum, I noticed that quite alot of threads are dedicated to progressive rock bands such as Pink Floyd and Rush. My only question is that since there is a forum entitled "80s Rock, Shred & Progressive," should discussions about those bands not be rightly held there?
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Hi everybody. Just browsing through the CR forum, I noticed that quite alot of threads are dedicated to progressive rock bands such as Pink Floyd and Rush. My only question is that since there is a forum entitled "80s Rock, Shred & Progressive," should discussions about those bands not be rightly held there?

Progressive rock as a genre is not particularly well defined, and those bands both fit indubitably into the Classic Rock bracket.
Quote by crimsonblood12
Progressive rock as a genre is not particularly well defined, and those bands both fit indubitably into the Classic Rock bracket.

Granted, progressive rock is a poorly defined genre (as indeed for that matter is classic rock itself), but I don't feel this as an argument really holds. Neither of the bands I mentioned (nor I would say, many of the progressive rock groups that get mentioned in this forum) sound particularly like bands that I could only imagine as being classed as classic rock (or blues rock).

The accepted convention (which was absolutely nonsensical) in this forum used to be that all rock music by a band that began recording before 1984 was to be considered Classic Rock. So, bands such as Van Halen and U2 were accepted as being classic rock, when I'd almost certainly consider them in the category of '80s Rock, and bands like Pink Floyd, Rush and King Crimson were also accepted as being classic rock, when they are really among the best known examples of progressive rock.

I see sense in ordering music based on musical styling, rather than date.
Quote by Prophet of Page

The problem there is the fact that is subjective. One could contend that Rush should be in the Progressive forum, because they're textbook progressive rock. But they also receive quite a bit of airplay on Classic Rock radio, so it goes both ways. Any way you put it, someone's gonna think it's wrong. Date, however, is pretty indisputable.

So, really, you're right. This is just easier. Besides, the threads are there already, why close them to start a new one?
Quote by crimsonblood12
The problem there is the fact that is subjective. One could contend that Rush should be in the Progressive forum, because they're textbook progressive rock. But they also receive quite a bit of airplay on Classic Rock radio, so it goes both ways. Any way you put it, someone's gonna think it's wrong. Date, however, is pretty indisputable.

So, really, you're right. This is just easier. Besides, the threads are there already, why close them to start a new one?

I'm not particularly interested in the threads being closed or moved to another forum, I was just curious. For example, there isn't a Marillion thread in the CR forum, however I feel that it would likely be started here rather than in the appropriate section. I'm not entirely sure why this is so, but it seems to be how things are done.

Also, can you imagine a radio station that only played progressive rock?
These bands are often labeled as classic rock for two reasons, as I see it.

1. They gained a lot of success at about the same time that many bands that are in this genre did.

2. They both incorporate elements of other genres that are in the classic rock umbrella into their progressive sounds, often more so than other bands of this genre. For example, Rush uses elements of riff-driven early blues rock bands, and Pink Floyd uses psychedelic elements in much of their music. In fact, both of these bands started in these respective genres before starting to really get into Progressive rock.

Quote by Prophet of Page
Also, can you imagine a radio station that only played progressive rock?

I'm sure there's some HD or satellite radio station somewhere. There may not be any normal f.m. radio stations dedicated to Prog, but that doesn't mean there isn't any station for it.
"The guy from Labyrinth turned into a bird!"
Quote by Prophet of Page
Granted, progressive rock is a poorly defined genre (as indeed for that matter is classic rock itself), but I don't feel this as an argument really holds. Neither of the bands I mentioned (nor I would say, many of the progressive rock groups that get mentioned in this forum) sound particularly like bands that I could only imagine as being classed as classic rock (or blues rock).

The accepted convention (which was absolutely nonsensical) in this forum used to be that all rock music by a band that began recording before 1984 was to be considered Classic Rock. So, bands such as Van Halen and U2 were accepted as being classic rock, when I'd almost certainly consider them in the category of '80s Rock, and bands like Pink Floyd, Rush and King Crimson were also accepted as being classic rock, when they are really among the best known examples of progressive rock.

The bands you mentioned can be and have been discussed in the '80s Rock, Shred and Progressive section. We use date as the main factor here, while style rules out the extremes (Metallica's debut was within the time period we use, but they're clearly not discussed here). All the bands you mentioned can fall under different categories entirely, but they also have elements that make them a part of classic rock, and because of that, they are discussed here.

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I think it's mainly the 80's rock in the other sections name that pulls these bands away..

if prog rock bands shouldn't be discussed in classic rock, someone needs to move the King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush, ELP, and Yes threads
The main reason I created the Yes thread in the "Classic Rock" forum and not in the "80's Rock, Shred and Progressive" forum was because I felt that the bands in this forum had more in common than the ones in the other. I didn't think that it would be appropriate to put a thread about Yes in a forum alongside threads for Metallica and Buckethead. I also felt that if anyone were looking for a thread about Yes, or any band from the same era whether progressive rock or not, they would look in the CR forum first.
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)