Not sure if this goes here but oh well. I've been noticing that my arms seem to wear out fairly quickly and usually become sore in the bicep area. It's usually when I'm playing those open note rhythms. Im guessing this is just due to a lack of arm strength? Im just 13 so I haven't started working out or anything. Would just playing work as far as building strength or would you suggest working out? Im talking about my fretting hand.
Gear
Ibanez JS1000
DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Fender Strat
Vetta II
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Last edited by Nicko430 at Aug 26, 2009,
I have been playing for about 4 and a half years and my muclses get tired at times too, especially with 16th notes. Through time though, your muscles will get used to it, and your arms won't tire as quickly.
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
are you talking about your fretting arm or your picking arm?

as far as your fretting arm goes, you want it relaxed as possible, make it so your kind of pulling your arm to push the frets instead of squeezing them.

If its your playing arm, you want to minimize the use of your arm as much as possible, and make most of your motions with your wrist, but be sure not to be moving your fingers, you want your picking hand to be solid.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
if you play that should build your endurance that worked for me i didnt need to work out ( even though i did )
Yeah that makes sense because I've been in the middle of moving and haven't had much time to play and my muscles have probably gotten a little weaker then they had been.
Gear
Ibanez JS1000
DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Fender Strat
Vetta II
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Quote by Nicko430
Not sure if this goes here but oh well. I've been noticing that my arms seem to wear out fairly quickly and usually become sore in the bicep area. It's usually when I'm playing those open note rhythms. Im guessing this is just due to a lack of arm strength? Im just 13 so I haven't started working out or anything. Would just playing work as far as building strength or would you suggest working out? Im talking about my fretting hand.

You're doing something wrong. At no point in my playing has my bicep ever even become involved in my playing and it shouldn't, if you're running out of stamina anywhere it should be in your forearm on the top side where the muscles that move your wrist and fingers are. Look at your technique again and make sure that all the effort for the motion of picking is coming from your wrist and not your elbow.

Now that I've got that out of the way... no, working out does not help with your playing stamina, most exercises don't hit the right muscle groups to be effective and even of they did chances are that just playing would do all the work you need to anyway. I've never worked out and I find that I have enough stamina to make it through just about any situation I come across (including playing through the whole of Master of Puppets the album). If I don't have enough stamina for something I grind playing it until I do.

Simples.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah zaphod is right the only thing with guitar playing that involves your bicep i holding up the guitar when u dont have a strap. if your biceps r getting sore when you play u either need good rest or this could actually be medical (no jooke intended) at no point is the bicep used while picking. only the forearm and wrist and the muscles on the top of your right hand have anything to do with picking. so rest it for a day and if that doesnt work id recommend you ask a doctor if it could be a muscle condition.
Quote by Vypor
are you talking about your fretting arm or your picking arm?

as far as your fretting arm goes, you want it relaxed as possible, make it so your kind of pulling your arm to push the frets instead of squeezing them.

If its your playing arm, you want to minimize the use of your arm as much as possible, and make most of your motions with your wrist, but be sure not to be moving your fingers, you want your picking hand to be solid.

Is it really important not to move your fingers? I do that sometimes..

On topic: Your bicep really shouldnt get sore unless you're holding up your guitar with it, which you shouldn't be. If your playing sitting down, try putting the guitar in between your legs (classical style). I puts your fretting hand in a less awkward position
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Is it really important not to move your fingers? I do that sometimes..

On topic: Your bicep really shouldnt get sore unless you're holding up your guitar with it, which you shouldn't be. If your playing sitting down, try putting the guitar in between your legs (classical style). I puts your fretting hand in a less awkward position

Well, its a little extreme to say that you shouldnt by any means do it, but thats just what was recommended to me when I was learning.

If you ever hope to master really fast tremelo picking - finger movement is the killer and strict wrist movement is the key.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
If you bicep is sore when you play, you aren't playing right. You should be as relaxed as possible when you play. Tension only leads to sloppy playing. And if you bicep is getting sore, it is either being used a lot and tensing up, or else you are pressing it against the guitar really hard or something. Or it could be something medical but if it happens only when you play guitar, then that seems unlikely. Once you find a more relaxed way of playing, you should be able to play longer. 4 or 5 hours straight should be quite easy after a bit of time.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.