Ok so I'm wanting to start recording at my house. I have a Window XP OS might be going back to Win7 idk yet, but heres the things im wanting to do.

1. Record electric guitar. It can be either one at a time or both at the same time it doesn't really matter. Oh and while im at it Should I mic the amp and use my GNX3 or just run the guitar form the GNX3 to the recording device?

2. Record Acoustic guitar. same as electric about recording multi tracks

3. Record Drums.

This is all just a hobby for now, but if my friends and I get serious about it we might start making CDs and passing them out at shows.

I have no experience with record but I am willing to learn. So any article that helped you guys feel free to post the link or recommend a book.

any other questions let me know sry if I left something out kinda in a hurry to post this.
Equipment

Guitar
- Jackson DKMG DINKY(EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez S5470 Prestige(Air Classic/FS-1/D sonic)

Amp
- Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
bump bump bump it up!!! XD
Equipment

Guitar

Amp

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
Quote by MetalBass 77
the recording section is a bit slow so you shouldnt bump after 50 mins anyways we require a budget as for recording drums the ABSOLUTE minimium of mics is 4 so.... we need some budget.

Ok well my budget is around $1200 I can go a little more or a little less, and sry about the 50 min bump.
Oh also I don't have to buy everything this year thats how much money ill have left after the fall semester, and that's an avg of spending money I have after each semester. So I can wait about a year if need be to get all this if its way over $1200.
Equipment

Guitar

Amp

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
Last edited by tow3lie at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by tow3lie
Ok well my budget is around $1200 I can go a little more or a little less, and sry about the 50 min bump.
Oh also I don't have to buy everything this year thats how much money ill have left after the fall semester, and that's an avg of spending money I have after each semester. So I can wait about a year if need be to get all this if its way over $1200.

i jsut typed out a massive response and it got deleted. anyways ill jsut tell you instead of getting all the links again.
firestudio studio for 8 inputs
krk rokit 5's
audix d5 for bass drum and bass cabs
4 sm57 for snare,toms, and guitar cabs
2 rode nt1a5 for over heads and vocals
60$ for reaper

if you dont think your drums are that good get a cheap set of tom and kick mikes use the rodes for over heads and sm57 for snare. then purchase either aptrigga or drumagog and slate le drums. this will allow you to replace those bad snare,tom,and kick sounds. also another possibility is to buy decently cheap set of e drums and trigger some software like superior drummer 2.0. jsut a few options
Quote by MetalBass 77
i jsut typed out a massive response and it got deleted. anyways ill jsut tell you instead of getting all the links again.
krk rokit 5's
60$ for reaper

if you dont think your drums are that good get a cheap set of tom and kick mikes use the rodes for over heads and sm57 for snare. then purchase either aptrigga or drumagog and slate le drums. this will allow you to replace those bad snare,tom,and kick sounds. also another possibility is to buy decently cheap set of e drums and trigger some software like superior drummer 2.0. jsut a few options

Ok thanks but I think you meant to put D6 where you put D5

But any ways $1,978.45 USD isnt as bad as I thought it would be :/
Equipment

Guitar

Amp

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
Quote by MetalBass 77
krk rokit 5's
60$ for reaper

Don't get SM57's for toms. Go for Sennheiser e604.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by MetalBass 77
the recording section is a bit slow so you shouldnt bump after 50 mins anyways we require a budget as for recording drums the ABSOLUTE minimium of mics is 4 so.... we need some budget.

100% wrong. The absolute minimum number of mics you can record drums with is ONE.
2 or more is of course preferable, but it really depends on the style you're doing. though.
You can get great results with just a condenser and a dynamic mic (use the condenser as an overhead, stick the dynamic close to the front of the bass drum).

One mic on a well tuned, decent sounding kit > multiple mics on a badly tuned or crappy kit.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 31, 2009,
Also, out of that $1200, set aside $600 for the monitors. They're by far the most important part of your setup. Here's how I'd split the cash:

$600 - Active monitors
$250 - two condenser mics
$125 - Software (buy an older/used version of your DAW to save on cash)
$125 - USB interface
$100 - One or two dynamic mics (used)
to kyle 62: yes you CAN mike a drum set with 1, but i think the minimum for a decent sound should be 4 mics, and preferably 8 mics for a kit. also we're not talking about a drum set here, were talking bout the same set. so if he has an ok drum set
well miced ok drum set >>>>>>> poorly miced ok drum set.

i recommended krk rokit 5's because they have such a great reputation and they work fine for me and many others. no point in doubling your budget where you wont get anything better.

also to diverightin i originally recommended e604's, dont know why i changed them??? although an sm57 im sure would still give good results.

also no offense kyle but that budget is very stupid..... 600$ is not necesarry for monitors when you can get really good ones for 300$. also good luck finding a usb 2.0 interface with at least 3 mic inputs for 125$.

so to TS replace the sm 57's for the toms with sennheiser e604's. and yes i meant an audix d6
Quote by kyle62
Also, out of that $1200, set aside $600 for the monitors. They're by far the most important part of your setup. Here's how I'd split the cash:

$600 - Active monitors
$250 - two condenser mics
$125 - Software (buy an older/used version of your DAW to save on cash)
$125 - USB interface
$100 - One or two dynamic mics (used)

$600 monitors and a $125 interface? please.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by kyle62

$500 - Monitors
$235 - two condenser mics
$60- Reaper (Top notch DAW that's cheap).
$200 - Interface (firewire or USB)
$200 - One or two dynamic mics

Fixed, i think this will be a better split for a one that's starting out.
Quote by MetalBass 77
psh....... cut 200$ away from the monitors and distribut it elsewhere

No, 100 will be ok, take 25 in condensers, 50 in mics, and 25 just everywhere.