Page 1 of 2
idk if this exists already, but meh,

so wouldnt it be cool if one day TV airs a guitar world cup? a chance for all the great guitarrists that many of us know like satriani, steve vai, hammet, petrucci, syn, etc... and also the chance of lettin unknown prodigious guitarrist participate and show off whos on top of the game? at the end the best gets the title of world champion.
what do u pitters think?
it would be difficult to get a majority to agree on "the best" as I'm sure you're about to find out.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by armand0

so wouldnt it be cool if one day TV airs a guitar world cup? a chance for all the great guitarrists that many of us know like satriani, steve vai, hammet, petrucci, syn, etc... and also the chance of lettin unknown prodigious guitarrist participate and show off whos on top of the game? at the end the best gets the title of world champion.
what do u pitters think?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

No because people like different things when it comes to music.

Sure you can do fastest player or something but there is not a best guitarist.
No, because some Jonas brothers lookalike would win
Check out my band Disturbed
^^^Yeah that too.

It would fail possibly from the majority that listens to crap artists of today.

If UG was one of the judges, it would win.
maybe let unknown players play, then the judges can be the famous players... just make sure to get some from different genres.

O wait... too much like American Idol... and every other ****ing show on TV now.
Quote by armand0

what do u pitters think?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

but what if they apply the same system of the fifa world cup, like a daily match between lets say umm hammet and dave mustaine, judges at the end will decide who wins the match. until they pass to the finals or somethin like that?.. maybe it was just my crazy imagination or somethin..
too many egos to work.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
lmao at serious bag.

but a guitar world cup would be fun to watch. just for the lulz
Classical Guitarist
There are guitar speed competitions, which is pretty much the only quantifiable aspect of guitar playing.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
turning music into a sport?

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by ride-the-spiral
There are guitar speed competitions, which is pretty much the only quantifiable aspect of guitar playing.

Nah, they can have a competition for making strange faces while bending a full step over an Em chord.
Check out my band Disturbed
I don't think it would work, opinion is too much of a factor. In sports there's scores, raw numbers and times to prove the best or w/e but in guitar there's different kinds of guitarists and ****, how would they rate improvisations?
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

if you can pull it off, dude...
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
umm what if they do like a specific genre competition? like the progressive metal category or the hard rock category?
Quote by armand0
umm what if they do like a specific genre competition? like the progressive metal category or the hard rock category?

they should have a hammer toss but with a guitar instead thatd be cool
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Gymnastics and Diving are both opinion sports, and are judged and Olympic events.

I get this, but it would have to be in categories, and following rules like, how smooth the transitions between rhythm picking and sweeps are in each person.

Or a piece of music would have to be made up, and then they see how cleanly they can learn in it any given amount of time.

I don't know how it would work, but I would assume it would be something like Gymnastics or Diving.

Both being judged by a panel, with scorecards, and more like diving with a "Degree of Difficulty"

I see where your idea is going, but I don't think it would be done.
Void the asenine Synester Gates comment...

..A guitar world cup. Don't think of it like a sport, think of it as a whole bunch of musicians coming to play under one roof. Good ones, one that should be there. It would be like NAMM or something.

A friendly competition isn't as serious as you think. Stop being pretentious and explore the different aspects of what the guitar should bring forth.

I don't think it'd be that bad. But, getting everyone there would be a problem.

So what if it's an art? So is drawing and painting...but there's still competitions for them.

Arguement invalid.
Guitar is not a competition, it's a method of expression. This is what annoys me about shows like idol and dance competitions, art is to be interpreted, not judged.

/opinion
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
like every one else says

you cant define the best of music because music is an opinion

also it would probably be judged by mindless idiots from rolling stone or the rnrhof and the think would be judged purely on speed, which is not equal to good playing. but once again, this is also an opinion and some other people might disagree.

also there are many different types, you could play acoustic, electric, synth guitar, fingerpicking, pick using, slide, fingers... both, sit, stand, jumping around, countless effects, play country, blues, or rock, no doubt they will take your appearence into account, theres just too much different things..

this is also why american idol is pointless (aside from the fact that none of those people do anything original)

EDIT: on a side note,

I cant find my tv remote and its on mute. I believe one of you took it, give it back
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Last edited by Aerokizzombie at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by EnyoAdonai
Guitar is not a competition, it's a method of expression. This is what annoys me about shows like idol and dance competitions, art is to be interpreted, not judged.

/opinion

Art's still about expressing yourself, I fail to see where that went away.

It's always interpreted, think about it, without these competitions, would you even know of half these dancers?

It's not always about forming art into a competition, it's raising awareness FOR art. Yeah, they have judges...But, the dancers talents are being shown. Don't think of it so black and white "It's a competition, therefore it only brings negativity to art"
It would breed a ****load of MORE horrible **** shredders.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Yeah, we sure could ruin the beautiful art of the guitar, by turning it into another hollow talent show. /:
meh
Quote by bendystraw
Music is art, not a penis measuring contest.

but if it were i'd win
but seriously this man is right
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by armand0

what do u pitters think?
Childish idea.

Music is an art, not a competition...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by armand0

what do u pitters think?

You put Hammett next to Petrucci in text?
The playground of the world
Last edited by Eddie4President at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by Aerokizzombie
like every one else says

you cant define the best of music because music is an opinion

also it would probably be judged by mindless idiots from rolling stone or the rnrhof and the think would be judged purely on speed, which is not equal to good playing. but once again, this is also an opinion and some other people might disagree.

also there are many different types, you could play acoustic, electric, synth guitar, fingerpicking, pick using, slide, fingers... both, sit, stand, jumping around, countless effects, play country, blues, or rock, no doubt they will take your appearence into account, theres just too much different things..

this is also why american idol is pointless (aside from the fact that none of those people do anything original)

EDIT: on a side note,

I cant find my tv remote and its on mute. I believe one of you took it, give it back

Nah think of it this way. On American Idol, the people sing fast songs and slow songs, yet they are judged the same. Now, imagine that same thing, but with fast guitar music and slow guitar music being judged equally (and maybe with a LOT less corporation involvement)
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
There are many japaneese game shows about guitar.

It could be good if it was judged by objective proffesionals. and if it was just guitarists from one genre. like hard rock for one round and metal for the other and so on.

EDIT after reading some good pints up there. this is NOT a good idea.
Last edited by GisleAune at Sep 11, 2009,
The only problem with this is defining who is the best.

And the fact that music is art.
DeVillains!
Quote by kxy1992
Nah think of it this way. On American Idol, the people sing fast songs and slow songs, yet they are judged the same. Now, imagine that same thing, but with fast guitar music and slow guitar music being judged equally
American Idol is CHILDREN trying to break into the business, not the best of the best.

No way will any established musician bother to be "judged" on his abilities compared to others. Not gonna happen. Well, maybe, if the prize is like eleventy million dollars or smth.

Quote by kxy1992
(and maybe with a LOT less corporation involvement)
Yeah, right. Like that could happen. Somebody has to pay for this shit, ya know.

Quote by Ylasto
The only problem with this is defining who is the best.

And the fact that music is art.
Not the only problem, but a huge piece of it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Anyone else hear the beach boys when they read the thread title?
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
Quote by StewieSwan
Nah, they can have a competition for making strange faces while bending a full step over an Em chord.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2