Hi I am going to be giving guitar and bass lessons very soon and seem to realize that i've never had lessons

i am adept at both instruments alone and at impromptu jams and tings o that sort

so basically i am wondering what was your first lesson like, was it worth it, what did you like and dislike

your feedback will help very much
my first lesson was kind of a little noodle around with my teacher and cover what the first few things i wanted to learn. I had already played about 6 or 7 months, so i knew a solid collection of little beginner stuff, like iron man, black dog, smoke on the water, etc. Then the next lesson we started into a book, mostly just to get me used to reading music. And from there we moved to stacked notes and stuff and simple chord progressions, then turning the chord progressions into blues riffs and whatnot. I learned more in that month and a half then in the 6 months since i started playing, plus it got me over most of my technique problems.
Quote by boobinski
Hi I am going to be giving guitar and bass lessons very soon and seem to realize that i've never had lessons

i am adept at both instruments alone and at impromptu jams and tings o that sort

so basically i am wondering what was your first lesson like, was it worth it, what did you like and dislike

your feedback will help very much

The 1st lesson is usually an assessment of where the student is and where they would like to take it. I wouldn't base your judgement on lessons over how the very 1st one goes.

Definitely take some lessons. If you get a good teacher, you won't regret it.

* if you can do some research before signing up for lessons. Good teachers have good reputations.

EDIT: oh, you're going to be teaching.

same advice..... take some lessons 1st. teaching is a skill. I've learned alot from my teachers (about how to teach as well as how to play). also, for your students sake, I hope you can read music
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 27, 2009,
I don't remember my first lesson, it was a really really really long time ago. But I remember having a book with a heap of beginner songs, so I probably learnt hot cross buns or something.
My first teacher was was pretty ****.
god, to be honest I was 6, I really don't remember... ahh thats sad

But yeah. First lesson is pretty much assessing what your student wants to do with their talent. Do they wanna write songs, just impress people.. what?

Generally you tend to ask what kind of musix they like while they're on the phone booking the lesson. That way you can think about what easy songs they might like.
Get to know your students playing ability, and prepare your lesson around THEM.
If they are total beginners, tell them about the instrument, how to hold it, how to hold a pick ect. Then move onto how to read music (tab ofc , standard notation tends to repel people) with exercises (1234 up and own the strings and playing single open strings).

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄