Hey guys,
A littel while ago I played an amp a GC. A B-52 At-100 to be exact. I liked it so much I won an almost new one on ebay for $440. I have one question about it though.
On the back it has a nob that reads "Tube A" "Tube A+b" and "Solid state"

I get the general Idea of was is does. Im guessing that the switch what tubes to use. But If I switch to solid state, does it use any tubes at all? Would it be a good idea to switch to solid state at night or in the bedroom so I don't was't the tubes, since the tubes sound better at higher volume.

And I more question.
Also on the back there is a switch that reads LIFT-GND. Doesn't anyone have any idea what that means or does?

Thanks alot.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
no the solid state mode still uses tubes and the lift grn is grounded or lifted ground so if its buzzing from being pluged in try and flick that switch see if it helps
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Ok cool thanks. But can you explain what the "tube A" tube a+b" and "ss" do?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
They're different rectifiers if I remember correctly.

Class A rectifier: Loosest. All tube rectifier.
Class A/B: Kinda tight. Mix of Class A and SS I think... unsure on that though.
SS: Tightest. Solid state rectifier
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
the rectifier is the portion of the amp that converts the power from AC to DC or something like that. it affects your tone, and back in the day, many tube amps had tube rectifiers, which gives you a real tight bottom end and a more vintage tone. now however, very few amps have tube rectifiers, for more modern tight sound. so yeah, use class A for really loose saggy sound and solid state for tighter more defined sound.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The last two posts are correct.
It just affects the rectifier tube, which is one of the least important tubes as far as tone goes, and SS devices can be just as desirable in the rectifier spot depending on the type of tone.

No matter what position the switch is in, the preamp and power section of the amp are still running their tubes normally. Actually, you could make the argument that you're getting more tube tone with the SS rectifier since it supplies more voltage to the amplifying tubes.