Ok for a while now ive been trying to figure out sweep picking, and ive gotten the down stroke down pat but my upstroke is horrible! does anybody have any suggestions on the subject? This next question might just be because i opted to learn how to play 9 different instruments instead of going out for sports and building muscle lol. But i was playing basket case by green day which is about as fast as my down picking gets before i accidentally start doing triplets. but half-way through the song my forearm started to lock up really bad because of the position i palm mute in (this is just a guess because this doesnt happen when i dont mute). ne suggestions on this area besides working out? and ive become pretty used to economy picking, its almost second nature for me at this point and i started to do excersices for strict up and downs. i had never done them because i always figured economy was better which it is but it doesnt work for everything. nebody got any practice reccomendations for this? huge problems in the pinching department. I know the songs im trying to do them on arent the easiest songs to pinch on (cemetery gates and tobacco road) but even when im not playing an actual song i still have trouble getting my t humb to hit immediately after the pick and not muting out the string. it might just be the way i hold the pick but this is the big one i reallllly need help with. dont be harsh cuz im only 15. im not a beginner tho so dont treat me as if im stupid ive been playing since i was 8 and i play 9 instruments. thank you
Last edited by megadeth45 at Aug 26, 2009,
I'm 15 years old as well
I'm also a beginner
I know I shouldn't give advice about sweeping because I'm not so good (see recordings in profile)
But what i do is:
1. Practice in clean channel, EXTREMELY SLOW and slowly increasing the tempo
2. Then change to the distortion channel to practice how to mute the strings properly

I know I shouldn't be giving you advice about learning sweep picking because I suck But if your legato is bad you shouldn't even try sweeping yet..

Just my 2 cents
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I'm 15 years old as well
I'm also a beginner
I know I shouldn't give advice about sweeping because I'm not so good (see recordings in profile)
But what i do is:
1. Practice in clean channel, EXTREMELY SLOW and slowly increasing the tempo
2. Then change to the distortion channel to practice how to mute the strings properly

I know I shouldn't be giving you advice about learning sweep picking because I suck But if your legato is bad you shouldn't even try sweeping yet..

Just my 2 cents

thanks for the tip my legato is just fine im only having trouble with getting the upstroke to go smoothly
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Really? Ive always had a bit of trouble with the downstrokes, lol.

I'm with this guy. The upstroke I can do at pretty much any speed, its that damn downstroke that forces me to slow me entire sweep down or else it won't sound uniform.

TS - just gotta keep at it. Sweeping takes lots and lots of time to get down perfect.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
i have upstroke roblems in general. thats why i dont play ska no matter how much i love it i cant do repetitive up stroke it gives me the constant feeling im gonna mess up.
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/124

I expect all of you to laud me with praise.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.