Hi,

I am an electric-guitar novice and would like to take it up as a hobby. I've been researching for the right guitar and amplifier for quite some time, but there are two things that restrict considerably my choice of guitars: 1) I'm left-handed; and 2) I live in Canada; I've visited a few music stores, but they don't seem to hold a large collection of left-handed guitars, and ordering online from the United States just doesn't seem feasible because of the superfluous shipping and custom charges.

With this in mind, I began considering alternate sources to purchase my guitar. My budget ranges between roughly $700 - $1,000. I would like to play neo-classical metal, hard-rock, and blues. My favorite artists include Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Chris Impellitteri, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, John Petrucci, and John Gilmour, so mimicking any of their sounds would be great, lol.

As I haven't been able to find a Fender Stratocaster that fits in my budget (my first choice), I've decided to purchase a Schecter guitar; specifically, a Schecter Omen Extreme without the Floyd Rose, or alternatively, a Schecter Damien 6, a Schecter Omen 6, or a Schecter 006 Deluxe. Are any of these guitars suitable for the genres of music that I wish to play? Otherwise, what would you recommend.

Secondly, I'm looking for a decent amplifier. It seems to be universally accepted that irrespective of the guitar, a sub-par amp will consistently produce sub-par sounds. Presently, I'm entertaining the possibility of purchasing either a Peavey Vypyr 30 or a Vox VT30. Which of these would be more suitable? Or, is there another amp that I might be overlooking within the same price-range?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: I failed to mention that my budget of $700 - $1,000 is CDN, and is the combined cost of both the guitar and the amp.
Last edited by Stoupe at Aug 26, 2009,
1. have you played before? If not, definitely begin by playing right handed. Im a lefty who does everything but play guitar lefthanded. By playing righty you open up many more guitars to play later on.

2. Beginner+ Floyd Rose (almost) never goes good. Stick to a hardtail until you learn more about a FR system.

3. A Peavey Viper will be a great beginner amp. Also, any low end Schecter or LTD will make a good beginner guitar. Especially if you're looking to play metal. Dont worry too much about getting a guitar able to play stuff by the artists you listed perfectly because by the time your able to play Malmsteen you'll have a new guitar anyways.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
having a look at some ltd guitars wouldn't be a bad choice and a marshall mg would suit you i think as you said you are a novice.
btw check www.musicstore.com for some stuff. they are a respected company and shipping is free over 300 dollars i think.
im left handed and live in canada too, erie

i dont know much about amps but the i have played through my friends peavy and i thought it was a pretty good amp my advice would be to test out both of them and chose the one you like better

EDIT: like was said above if you havnt started playing guitar yet start playing right handed believe me it will open your selection of guitars up, not to mention you might also be able to play your friends guitars too
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Last edited by bellamy_morello at Aug 26, 2009,
Hey guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies! When I pick up the guitar, it just feels right when my right-hand is on the fretboard. My friend recommended I do what feels natural. I'm not sure if I'd be able to play the other way around, but I'll borrow his right-handed guitar and see if I can become used to it.

I'm also avoiding Floyd Rose for my first guitar. I'm told keeping it in tune might present a serious problem.

Once again, I appreciate the comments. I don't know many people who play the guitar, so it's refreshing getting input by others!
Definitely do what feels natural. But at the same time understand what playing lefthanded means. Before I started playing I had an LTD M-50 Lefty on order. Luckily I went down to a guitar shop and talked to one of the guys working there before it shipped. He let me play a bunch of Righthanded guitars and I realized that I would be able to learn this way, even if it wasn't initially how I felt i should play. After a week or two of strumming chords the akwardness is gone.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by wouldnt..!
having a look at some ltd guitars wouldn't be a bad choice and a marshall mg would suit you i think as you said you are a novice.
btw check www.musicstore.com for some stuff. they are a respected company and shipping is free over 300 dollars i think.

please dont get a MG...
i would think you need a ibanez since alot of your infulences are shreaders. The rg series are good or if not the S series. Unfortantly I dont know much about ibanez guitars that have hardtails so ill let someone else tell you about it.
for amps the vox is great. Again dont get the MG. If you want to play metal the Vox VT-XL is the metal version of the Vox VT30. check it out

hoped i helped
Guitars :

Schecter Omen 6
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=25&P_ID=13001&PT_ID=31

Schecter Damien 6
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?P_ID=9107&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=Schecter&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

Amps:

Blackheart Little Giant
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=10&P_ID=16675&PT_ID=all

Possibly something like this, although the Little Giant may not have enough gain for what you are looking for. If you really want a modelling amp, consider the Peavey Vypyr 15/30, or the Roland Cube 20/30.

Also, where in Canada do you live?
Y'all don't say that
IMO Vyper > Valvetronix...

also, Ibanez has alot of nicely priced guitars... in addition to the ones mentioned, check out the ART series, but if you have the money, go with the RG with a fixed bridge
I hate my sig
Quote by jackblackyeah17
Guitars :

Schecter Omen 6
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=25&P_ID=13001&PT_ID=31

Schecter Damien 6
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?P_ID=9107&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=Schecter&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

Amps:

Blackheart Little Giant
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=10&P_ID=16675&PT_ID=all

Possibly something like this, although the Little Giant may not have enough gain for what you are looking for. If you really want a modelling amp, consider the Peavey Vypyr 15/30, or the Roland Cube 20/30.

Also, where in Canada do you live?

That's the site I plan on placing my order with if I can't find a physical store with better prices (I was also considering www.lamusic.ca, but the prices on Axeman are slightly cheaper for the exact same models that I'm interested in.)

I just got into Montreal tonight, so I'm going to start shopping around tomorrow downtown.

Thanks for the heads up!
Quote by Stoupe
That's the site I plan on placing my order with if I can't find a physical store with better prices (I was also considering www.lamusic.ca, but the prices on Axeman are slightly cheaper for the exact same models that I'm interested in.)

I just got into Montreal tonight, so I'm going to start shopping around tomorrow downtown.

Thanks for the heads up!

One more tip : remember that your amp will influence your sound quite abit more than the guitar. So don't spend 600 $ on a guitar and leave only 2 or 300 $ for your amp.

Oh, and definetely avoid Line 6 Spider IIIs and Marshall MGs.

Good luck.
Y'all don't say that