Alright, so you wanna get started on recording? here is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to start recording your band's songs.
This is gonna be a long write, and I'm really gonna be going step by step on this one with tons of pictures, and my internet's not too fast (56k), so I'll do one step at a time, making a new thread, where people can post comments, suggestions etc, and after all the threads are done and comments and suggestions read, I'll put everything in one big thread so this can hopefully give users a decent "starting point", without everyone having to post a new thread. so here we go:

things you need:

a guitar and a bass

a microphone

Cubase SX3 (I'm going to assume you're using this for the rest of the thread, if you don't have it, acquire it, it's a great program)

Line6 Toneport UX1

and Gearbox (comes with Toneport)

and our drummer, since I assume that for a low-budget recording you don't have money for a multi-track interface and tons of microhpones:
Toontrack's EZDrummer Drumkit From Hell

Alright? Got your equipment? Then let's get started.

Step 1:
Getting to know the program and setting up the VST Plugins and Toneport.

The first thing that I notice many people fail at when attempting to record is even getting the programs to run. Once you've installed Cubase SX3, you may have no idea where to begin. Or, when you've installed Drumkit from Hell (from now on known as DFH), you'll be wondering where the hell the damn program is.
See, that's the tricky part: DFH isn't a program. It's a VST plugin, which means it needs another program (like Cubase SX3) to run.
So you've installed Cubase and DFH. Run Cubase, start a new project (File - New Project) and you'll see a screen like this

Look at it, the virgin project, just waiting to be violated by the massive manhood of your song!

Now, to insert your drummer:

Press F11

you'll see a little window pop up, now click on the box that says "no instrument"

a list of available VST instruments will pop up, and if you installed DFH right, there should be an option of EZ Drummer

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 26, 2009,
when EZ Drummer pops up after clicking on it, you get the standard Rock/Pop kit that comes with the plug in. Me, I like the DFH better, so you go up to where it says "Pop/Rock", click on it, and select Drumkit From Hell.

DAYUM DAT'S HOT

ahem.

Since you're probably gonna wanna be able to mix the different drums seperately, i.e. give the snare drum a different reverb or compressor than the bass drum, click on the "open mixer button"

in the little dialogue box where it says "Trk 1", click on it and select "multichannel"

there we go, now our drums have seperate outputs, but we won't need that until the mixing process later on.

now to make our drums make some noise:

create a new Midi track (Project - New Track - MIDI)

and set the MIDI track's output to "EZ Drummer"

and use the pen tool to draw a MIDI track

now all you have to do is enter the MIDI notes you want your drums to play. Go to "MIDI" and "Drum Editor" and enter the MIDI notes with your mouse where you want the drums to play.

Alright, little monkeys, that's enough for today's lesson, if you can succeed in this then you will be one step closer to learning how to record your own songs, on your own, in your room.

Next lesson: setting up the TonePort UX1

so, what do you think? -
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 7, 2009,
"Easiest and cheapes"??? Seriously, just because you did it doesn't mean that it was eiter easy or cheap.

Want easy and cheap? Amp with emulated line outs and UCA 202. Or for on-the-road recordings Pocket Pod and UCA202. And why Cubase? It costs a fortune, and you're using an out-of-date version. Reaper all the way.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Why cubase? Because that version you can get it without money
I think that u can also get that drum machine for free (I'm looking for it, can someone pm me?)

I know how to use cubase already, and the only thing i want is to learn how to make drums and this dude is helping me, let's see if i can make them this time to make noise xD
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by tiky
Why cubase? Because that version you can get it without money
I think that u can also get that drum machine for free (I'm looking for it, can someone pm me?)

I know how to use cubase already, and the only thing i want is to learn how to make drums and this dude is helping me, let's see if i can make them this time to make noise xD

Some of us actually buy our programs and aren't selfish pricks...
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
Some of us actually buy our programs and aren't selfish pricks...

Some of us doesn't live where those programs are, and doesn't have money for them
I could get in on chile, yes... By paying 2000 Us dollars for cubase?
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by tiky
Some of us doesn't live where those programs are, and doesn't have money for them
I could get in on chile, yes... By paying 2000 Us dollars for cubase?

Check ebay, I saw it for $300 USD but maybe you could get someone to ship it to you down there.

Quote by Union Of V
And why Cubase? It costs a fortune, and you're using an out-of-date version. Reaper all the way.

Just because its not the newest version does not mean it's "out of date". Its a fantastic program and people use/like/buy it.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Last edited by occub at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by occub
Just because its not the newest version does not mean it's "out of date". Its a fantastic program and people use/like/buy it.

I agree, what Jon Hopkins does with old software is amazing, but the only reason you'd want to go for Cubase is if money isn't a problem, in which case you'd be looking at the newest version. If you're trying to save money there's no reason to waste money on Cubase period.
Quote by Tombe
I'd really appreciate it if you stopped arguing about the program. I think Cubase is a very affordable program, I know how to use it best, and I happen to have SX3, so leave it at that.

If you think a different program is easier / cheaper / more efficient to use, you're perfectly free to make your own thread about it, no?
I had started a "Mixing Tutorial" thread in the Pit, but no one ever bothered with it because noone felt like writing or taking time to make screenshots. If you think it can be done better, state why and don't just write "USE REAPER NOOB"
Yeah, I'm looking foward for your tutorial, DO i need a midi keyboard to make drums?
I have played guitar for more than 10 years but recording on my pc is a complete new thing for me, And i have some full songs written and well, want to make some demos

Edit: Already found the drum editor, thx anyways
Last edited by tiky at Aug 27, 2009,
I completely agree that a tutorial is sorely needed, especially considering that most of the threads repeat themselves. I just don't think the tutorial is quite what it claims to be.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
I completely agree that a tutorial is sorely needed, especially considering that most of the threads repeat themselves. I just don't think the tutorial is quite what it claims to be.

well, it's very cheap, and the results you can get are pretty damn awesome, I mean of course you could record songs with the mic-in of your computer, Audacity and pots and pans instead of drums, but really, can you use that for anything?

EDIT: and I've tried to get people who know more about this than me to get tutorials going, but since no one else has the time I figured I'd give it a shot to finally end the "where to start recording" and "how to record my band's demo" threads.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
well, it's very cheap, and the results you can get are pretty damn awesome, I mean of course you could record songs with the mic-in of your computer, Audacity and pots and pans instead of drums, but really, can you use that for anything?

EDIT: and I've tried to get people who know more about this than me to get tutorials going, but since no one else has the time I figured I'd give it a shot to finally end the "where to start recording" and "how to record my band's demo" threads.

And fair deuce to you for doing it! We definitively need more of these.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by CoreysMonster

There's an incredible thread on the Reaper forum with exactly this aim. It goes from very simple beginner things to more in-depth intermediate and advanced info, and also some things to which most people don't even give any thought or consideration.

If a good tutorial is what you're after, then look no further than this.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283