I've been considering learning songs by ear, but since Im on a website known for its tabs, Im not sure if I should take the hard work and time to do so. I've heard its a good thing to do, but other guitarists I see like on youtube say they use tabs and are really good. If this helps, I like bands such as Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Pantera, Exodus, Slayer, Misfits, and so on but I want to hear it fro you guys if this is what I should do rather than use tabs instead and tell me why and your experiences maybe because I guess I need some motivation for this.

Thank you very much for your help!
i say you should train your ear now so you can transcribe a song that tabs dont exist for later.
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Try to tab easier songs, death metal is really hard to tab due to all the distortion, and then check the tabs to see if you got it right.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
if you want to get better at playing by ear yes, if you're a beginner and want to play the song correctly, no

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I don't think it matters since you'll most likely want to write your own songs some day. Just by playing, you'll learn how the fretboard works. You'll be able to play whether you can transcribe a tab or not. Learn theory and that'll help you figure things out by ear easier and it'll also help you playing. That's my advice to you. No one is going to look down on you because you can't transcribe a tab if you can play well.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 26, 2009,
i think transcribing is a skill that anyone in music should have
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
If you want to take the middle road, you could try to find videos of people playing and learn by watching.
YES learning by ear feels better when you learn a song AND I will help you understand theory and you will soon start playing lots of stuff you learned by ear in your own playing style. Ear training is one of the most important parts of music
you should definitely try learning by ear because when you're jamming with other people it's easier to just pick things up by ear than to stop the jam and ask what everyone else is playing.
Oh and also it will help you if you want to jam with someone...even if you don't know what key you're in you will be able to play along and improvise---Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan knew almost no music theory
learn songs you like using tabs for now then when u get better and get to know the fretboard better (which notes make which sounds, what different techniques sound like, etc.) then start to transcribe songs/learn by ear. it would also be good to have at least basic knowledge of scales so u can at least tell if a songs in major scale, minor, blues, etc.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Last edited by --{matt}-- at Aug 26, 2009,
train your ear first and foremost basing off tabs you will soon learn more than 75% of player submitted tabs are wrong.
play them, and youll get used to how they sound over time.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
either way works
I learned on tabs, and over time developed the "ear"...and can normally figure stuff out now by ear, with a little guidance from tabs

do what works well for you
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by --{matt}--
learn songs you like using tabs for now then when u get better and get to know the fretboard better (which notes make which sounds, what different techniques sound like, etc.) then start to transcribe songs/learn by ear. it would also be good to have at least basic knowledge of scales so u can at least tell if a songs in major scale, minor, blues, etc.

I'm with this.

When I first started, learning songs by tab really helped me learn which notes sound like what, and before long figuring a song out by ear was much easier because I could apply what I learned from using tab.
Quote by swordsman14
How would you learn chords by ear just out of curiousity?

Most chords don't use as many notes as you think they do. A lot of them are 2 or 3 notes repeated along the strings. There are more complex chords but those are easier to detect because you can easily hear the anomoly (for me at least). You can usually hear the route chord, and you'll learn what major, minor, diminished, augmented, etc. sound like. You'll also know how to form them.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
if you want to get better at playing by ear yes, if you're a beginner and want to play the song correctly, no

this
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Try learning it by ear and when you cant, go for the tabs. Eventually it builds you transcribing ability up over time so you can transcribe more and more technical stuff by ear
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
It would help you a lot in the long run

also keep one thing in mind, until you train your ear enough, you're going to make a lot of wrong sounding awesome riffs etc in the process of trying to find the right one

it helps there too :p
Transcribing (all the parts at least) will help you discover how harmony works, and how other instruments work.
Which should help you with making your own songs.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Everytime I try an learn a song by ear, I always find something I think sounds better and write my own riffs. So yeah, unproductive for me, haha.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
^
Fail. A big boatload of. Tabs are only truly useful if you use them as another tool to help you develop your ear.

Look at it this way - do you want to actually learn to play guitar, or do you just want to be the musical equivalent of a talking parrot?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 27, 2009,
Start by just working out basic chord progressions or basslines (a song like U2's 'With or Without You' or any electronica/dance/techno tune works for this). If you try anything complex immediately you'll just get frustrated and go back to tab. Learning even just basic theory (such as the major scale and the chords contained within it) helps a lot.

I think it's worth it as frankly a lot of the tabs on the net are inaccurate, hard to read or just plain useless. With time and practice you'll be able to transcribe whole songs (including vocal and keyboard parts) without too much effort.

When transcribing more complex stuff it helps to have audio software that can slow the track down without affecting pitch and loop small sections. There are also hardware 'phrase trainers' that do this.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Aug 27, 2009,
Yeah, it is better. You develop your tonal ear which helps to tune your guitar without a tuner.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
you`ve got to train your ear, even if you use the tabs just to find the key it`s in, then use your ears to actually work the song out....as a begginer to ear training that is, the more familiar you are with music theory the easier it is.........
Quote by steven seagull
^
Fail. A big boatload of. Tabs are only truly useful if you use them as another tool to help you develop your ear.

Look at it this way - do you want to actually learn to play guitar, or do you just want to be the musical equivalent of a talking parrot?

Either that or be a seagull, lolz.

Seriously, though. Ear training develops over time regardless of whether or not you read tabs or not. I can ear out a song perfectly fine but the process is a lot slower. Why would I waste my time trying to ear out a Thomas Leeb song when the tuning is CGCGCEb, when I can just read the sheet music for it?