I'd really appreciate some help with my selection in a new amp.
I was playing off my guitarist's old bass amp, we both started on bass, but we wanted to play in a band together, so he switched. It's a swr workingman's amp, post fender takeover. I'd just buy it off him and get a new cab to play through, but I'm fairly sure it would just become a head, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't run the speaker when acting as a head for a cab, BUT, he wants 300 dollars for it, which is silly, cause it's 2 years old and it cost him 280. So my budget is about 600-700 dollars, and from my research the ashdown mag blue line series is the best buy. I play classic rock, punk, pretty much anything along rock lines mostly. Does anyone have any opinions on if this is the best buy? My plan currently is to go for the ashdown 300 watt head and pair it with a 410 cab. Also, I played the gk backline series and hated it, so don't tell me to get that one. I've also scoured craigslist, and there is jack squat. My biggest thing is that I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to try out the mag stuff, cause guitar center don't stock it, and the bass emporium over here has jack squat in the way of new amps right now, and the used inventory doesn't have any ashdown stuff. Also, what's wrong with the acoustic brand amps? Every time I talk to really good bass players, they tell me that I might as well go behringer if I'm gonna buy acoustic now(post GC), but they've never really gotten it across to me about why this is so. Sorry if you looked twice, thought I ought to post it in the bass section instead of the gear...I don't know...
Thanks for reading my paragraph and for your input, if anyone gives me a "that was too vague" and then chuckles silently to themselves for an hour, I will be pissed. ))
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Wall. Of. Text.

Nothing wrong with Acoustic amps, they're actually really good for the price. Also, genre? Price limit?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Well excuse that large bit of text, I've gotten a lot of crap from people for not giving enough information... And to tanker, I'm not really sold on the 210 speakers...
I said in my massive thing that it's all rock, mostly classic and punk...we just added a female singer to an all male band, so I'm still not really sure what to call our sound. I'd like to spend 600, but could be convinced to go to 700.
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Quote by ripjoestrummer
Well excuse that large bit of text, I've gotten a lot of crap from people for not giving enough information... And to tanker, I'm not really sold on the 210 speakers...
I said in my massive thing that it's all rock, mostly classic and punk...we just added a female singer to an all male band, so I'm still not really sure what to call our sound. I'd like to spend 600, but could be convinced to go to 700.

well they have a 115 version too if that helps
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
well they have a 115 version too if that helps
Certainly better than a 2x10.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I got a Bassman 250/210. And I'm quite happy with it. It's loud pretty, versatile, and despite being a 2x10, can still be pretty bassy. I think it would definitely fit the bill.

That said the Ashdown, would be a pretty solid rig as well, for basicly the same reasons.
Quote by John Swift

i would have to disagree with that, i find my 210 a lot more versatile than the 115 version, the 210 can go from a nice warm bassy tone to a nice puncy tone. i found the 115 to be a bit muddier and the overall sond just wasn't as good as the 210
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I'd say go with either Ashdown, Hartke, or Peavey amps if you can find them, they all make quality products (I was using Ashdown for about 3 years, but have swapped to using Hartke heads & a Marshall cab).
You might also be able to find a Marshall that you like (I like Marshall bass stuff, but it's an aquired taste). But it'd be best for your wallet if you look second hand, or at items on sale (my Hartke LH500 cost me £200 when it first came out, they're £300+ now)
Quote by John Swift

Surely only your opinion of tone?

My advice to anybody who is starting to gig is second hand Peavey, cheap, reliable and bullet proof, once you're used to gigging and know what tone you are after then go onto finding a 'perfect' amp.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Ashdown Perfect Ten Minirig
Ashdown ABM 4 X10 and 1 X 15
There's a point where opinion gets so right, it's almost fact. A standalone 115 being better than a standalone 210, that's approaching that point.

Anyway, TS, there's nothing overtly wrong with Acoustic, they're definitely not on the same level as Behringer, but there's also nothing overtly right with them either. They just kind of exist in that plane between bad and nothing special. They just are. That's how I describe them anyway. As for Ashdown, they're pretty good, I don't personally like them because they're a little bit woofy for my tastes, but it's a decent sound for rock. Now, if you're willing to spend a little bit more, then I advise looking at Carvin. You can get a BX600 for $400 and a BR410N for $500, or the BR115N for $360. Now the thing is, that rig is only a couple hundred dollars more than your perspective MAG rig, but it will be several times better. Carvin is renowned for having the best bang for buck factor in the Bass amp game.
Whatever you do don't drop any cash on a Behringer, it's cheap plastic toot.

And going second hand is always a good idea, you get more for your money and it doesn't lose re-sale value.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
I've exhausted the secondhand stuff almost entirely now...I've scoured craigslist and find nothing but combos, and I'm pretty set on getting a half stack at this point. The only real possibility of me going used with anything is that at the local bass place, I stumbled across a hartke 410 cab for 150 dollars, but it looks REALLY rough for wear. The thing must be 30 years old, somewhere around there and it's really beat up. The only other thing that I just turned up is a carvin st 4000 250 watt head and a 412 cab, from the early seventies...
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

What about the Ampeg b2re head? I stumbled across it used for 275, which seems like a deal. Would I need anything to go with that (besides a cab)? I've never used a rack head, so I don't really know what goes on with those.
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

£'s or $'s?

Used to have a B2RE sold it for £220 great little heads.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
American
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

Then TBH I don't know if that's a good deal but if you can get a decent 4 X 10 too that'll be a great set-up.
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly