So my computer (im on my laptop now) keeps crashing as soon as i get into windows. No error message. Firstly how do i get into DOS and what should i check? What options to i press?
first off, this should be in the computer help thread
secondly, dos hasn't been used since win98 if i remember correctly
thirdly, i cant diagnose your computer over the interwebz so legit tech support would be a good idea
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
first off, this should be in the computer help thread
secondly, dos hasn't been used since win98 if i remember correctly
thirdly, i cant diagnose your computer over the interwebz so legit tech support would be a good idea

oops im pretty old school lol...i meant the black screen that comes up at startup
EDIT: Forget what I said about DOS (if you read it). Are you talking about the boot selection screen? Usually you have to push F8 or something similar to get to that. I think that depends on your BIOS though, but at the very first screen, it should say at the bottom what to press. If not, the common ones are F8, delete key, I think I've seen F2 as well.

Anyways, do you have a windows cd handy? If you do, pop that into the drive, and boot from the cd (if it doesn't work automatically, just google how to do it from CMOS, it's really not hard). Then run startup repair.

You could also boot in safe mode, see if that works. If safe mode DOES work, you can then use system restore (google that if you don't know it) to restore your computer to how it was on a previous date, before this started happening.
Last edited by dark&broken at Aug 26, 2009,