I've played guitar for 1 & 1/2 years now, and when I come on this forum time to time, I just wonder how the hell you guys know all these stuff about the amps, effects, and etc. Do you guys just look these stuff up online as they're mentioned and just get to know them by time? or go to some guitar shop and try everything out?

I mean, I don't think 1 & 1/2 years is a really short time but in comparison with like everyone on here I feel like a complete no0b on judging tone & stuff like that.
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
We read up on it.
We try it out.
We share our experiences on the forums.

Stick around, despite all the flame wars and retarded-ness that do crop up on internet forums, I have learnt a lot about guitars, amps and effects from UG.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I read guitar magazines all the time and browse through music catalogs. That's where I get most of my knowledge. Word of mouth around here is also helpful, but can be biased.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by ragingkitty
We read up on it.
We try it out.

Stick around, despite all the flame wars and retarded-ness that do crop up on internet forums, I have learnt a lot about guitars, amps and effects from UG.

+1

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
There is a blind man who lives in the alley behind my house. He teaches me the ways of amplifiers and other audio devices.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
i do a lot of trying out in the shop, reading reviews, and lots of buying/selling/trading myself. in 3 years iv been through 7 guitars, 5 amps, and maybe 10 pedals. its not that im not happy with the stuff, its just a hobby to me and i like to try different things and cannot afford to keep it all at once.

it all comes down to research and trying things for urself. what people tell u is better, or sounds good, will be different to u. not only are ur ears sonically different to some extent, but its ALL about preferences.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Read Total Guitar and Guitarist

those two magazines will give you more knowledge than anything else

when you see stuff in them you like with good reviews go to a shop and try it out
Quote by AusMetal33
Read Total Guitar and Guitarist

those two magazines will give you more knowledge than anything else

when you see stuff in them you like with good reviews go to a shop and try it out

He lives in the U.S., those magazines are way too expensive here.

Guitar World and Guitar Player are good magazines to pick up. They are both quite different, but together they cover all the bases. And they both put out special gear-only editions here and there.
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
they both put out special gear-only editions here and there.

That does nothing but give you GAS.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
That does nothing but give you GAS.

very true
Quote by AA00P
I've spent the better half of these past 4 or 5 years on musician's friend and then looking at demos on youtube. It comes from having nothing to do in your free time.

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
A lot of it comes from sheer boredom and looking stuff up online. Also when ever I think about buying anything I always get really anal about learning everything I can about the product and products like it so I can make the best decisions.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by guitarsftw
He lives in the U.S., those magazines are way too expensive here.

Guitar World and Guitar Player are good magazines to pick up. They are both quite different, but together they cover all the bases. And they both put out special gear-only editions here and there.

Really? i live in Australia and these magazines from England are fairly cheap.
Besides they are far better quality than the american counterparts which are mostly filled with ads, i would consider them better value for money on content.
Loads of ways...some people just pick it up better than others. A lot of guitarists I know take very little interest in gear, and don't really consider anything beyond than the usual Fender/Marshall/Gibson etc.

Try reading some guitar blogs to keep up with interesting news. I really like Guitar Noize, and there's also Gearwire, Harmony Central etc.
Quote by ragingkitty
We read up on it.
We try it out.

what (s)he said
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by AusMetal33
Really? i live in Australia and these magazines from England are fairly cheap.
Besides they are far better quality than the american counterparts which are mostly filled with ads, i would consider them better value for money on content.

Yea, there's a Borders bookstore (or something like that, IDK because I cant read) up the street that has all those UK guitar magazines. They seem like they are full of fluff and ad's. They look neat though, all glossy and stuff...but they are very expensive for what you get (in the States at least).

Guitar World has been awesome lately. Just got this month's in the mail. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman.