hallo everyone,
so i looked at my gear and thought i has alot of mediocre gear, i have a good guitar but my amp and suff is pretty average, sooooo i was thinking of a gear overhaul and the best place to start is with a good combo amp

I play 80s thrash and hair metal and some tech shred (buckethead, paul gilbert n stuff)
I have a LTD M-350 which is really nice mahogany neck-thru superstrat, mahogany neck, a LFR and EMG HZ's. Imma gonna eventually replace pups tho.

NOW to business. I want a good tube or valve amp that can go high gain for some high treble crunch, hopefully something cleary defined and not muddy.

I was thinking a Bugera 333 but im a little worried about reliability
Im not a fan of the Peavey Valveking
Tube preffered as i want a x2n pickup to make it sing
Combo definatley no heads
Preferabley new, as i dont feel like second gear hunting
NO VYPYRS OR CUBES i have a cube 60 now, its good but ive moved on
$1200 maximum preferably
For 80s thrash, hair metal and shred you might wanna look at the Bugera 1990 instead. The 333 is a bit more modern voiced altough it could still do the job.

But if your budget is 1200 bucks, you should really go for something more high-end.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
You won't find anything.

Unless you go Bugera or a Valve combo plus OD/Dist pedal.

Or go SS

You won't find anything.

...or atleast survive 1 year + of use
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Aug 27, 2009,
Randall RG50TC
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
offtopic but holy **** we both have bucket then our names.. and both registered in march 08
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
offtopic but holy **** we both have bucket then our names.. and both registered in march 08

illegitimate brothers
hey dude, im selling a peavey triple x. good metal amp. you can have it for $950 + shipping.
i think if you wanna spend as much cash as you say, your better off getting something better then a bugera.
+1 to both the Randall RG50TC and Peavey XXX. I've seen RG50TC's for $450 on ebay, but the Peavey is better IMO. You should easily be able to find a used one under $1k
We are talking Australian dollars. 1200 would just cover a Bugera combo.

Mate, the 333 and 333XL are great amps, lots of people love them. It's a ridiculous tone to price ratio. They take effects well, and are versatile.

The reliability troubles are a bit over hyped, especially with reference to any batch after the first few.

I have a 6262, had one from the first batch, it had the transformer clip problem, but once that was fixed it has had no trouble. I play several times a week at both high and low volumes, and have done so for over a year.
Last edited by GibsonTheGuitar at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by GibsonTheGuitar
Retards, we are talking Australian dollars. 1200 would just cover a Bugera combo.

Mate, the 333 and 333XL are great amps, lots of people love them. It's a ridiculous tone to price ratio. They take effects well, and are versatile.

The reliability troubles are a bit over hyped, especially with reference to any batch after the first few.

I have a 6262, had one from the first batch, it had the transformer clip problem, but once that was fixed it has had no trouble. I play several times a week at both high and low volumes, and have done so for over a year.

If you buy amps brand new in Australia you're getting ripped off. Go used and you can get them half price (which is still not that cheap) and could easily get something far more reliable than a Bugera.
I'm going to guess you don't live in Australia, where there is little to no second hand market, and said market is so bad that the difference between buying new and second hand is often negligible.
Quote by GibsonTheGuitar
I'm going to guess you don't live in Australia, where there is little to no second hand market, and said market is so bad that the difference between buying new and second hand is often negligible.

I'm going to guess you have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, I live in Australia, and if you believe there is little to no second hand market, you either live in the middle of nowhere or havent even tried to look.
As for the price difference, I've bought a Peavey Classic 30 (RRP AU$1500) for $600, and a Marshall TSL100 (RRP $3300) for $1000, plus a Laney 4x12 for $375, so there is definitely a difference.
My experience with prices on second hand gear has been so poor that I would come close to doubting that you got amps for those prices, or I would assume that you got mates rates, or they were damaged etc.

I don't mean to call you a liar or anything, it's just that I don't encounter amps for sale here in Brisbane, or the times I have been to Melbourne, for prices like that second hand. And why would someone in Australia selling say... a Jcm 800 need to be competitive with price. It's fairly unlikely that there are many around to contend with. Conincidentally, I tend to see little to no drop in value. Especially when compared to the situation in the states with things like craigslist and the like, and the excellent value people seem to get buying second hand.
The C30 I got on ebay, the TSL was missing the Marshall logo and the Laney cab had some tears in the tolex. No mates rates or damage apart from the cab. Its really more about patience and jumping on a good deal when you see it.
Sound like great deals.

Wow it's refreshing to hear someone who has been successful. I will endeavour to stay positive and keep my eye out haha
buying amps from within australia blows. you can get an amp from the US brand new, have it converted and still spend half as much as you would in store in australia. just need the patience...