My current guitar, a Washburn X50 pro e, comes with a crappy, poorly made plastic nut. I want to replace the nut with a Graph tech trem nut. The particular model nut I have found is usually used on epiphones but the dimensions match my guitar perfectly, give or take a couple of mm.

My question is, would it work if I take the old nut off, stand it next to the new nut, compare the sizes ,and then gently sand down the new nut with some fine grit until both are the same size exactly? If both nuts are the same size then surely it wouldnt make a difference.

All Washburns now come standard with the buzz feiten tuning system (although I dont understand why they dont have a bone/graphite nut) so the current nut on the guitar has been made to fit the guitar in accordance with the tuning system.

I have fitted a graph tech nut before with what seemed like little trouble but this guitar means more to me and I dont want to waste my time and f*** it up.

Thanks in advance, M.
Quote by 001 Metalic Demon
it looks like a les paul to me

Quote by dr_92
you look like a les paul to me
yeah that'd work fine.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
As long as it's the same size as the old nut, you'll be fine. I actually just replaced the nut on my guitar with a graphtech nut. It's a pretty easy, straightforward job. There is a ton of good information on graphtech's web site, so just read through all of that thoroughly beforehand and you'll be fine.
Just by a better quality replacement nut.
Hit the old one one the side *gently* with a hammer and it should come loose.
Then, Apply the new one with wood glue, clamp it and let it sit for 24 hours.

Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.