I've been trying to sketch how I'd like my custom body shape to look like. I've tried sketching from scratch (which was a disaster), and tried tracing and combining features from my four favs - Gibson SG, ESP Viper, Fender Jazzmaster, and Manson MB-1.

My problem is that everytime I try to design a body shape, it either turns out really bad, or looking like something I already know.

The reason I want a custom body shape is because of the individuality involved in playing a guitar with a unique shape.

So...any suggestions about what I should do? (please no judging or harsh comments - usually I'm OK with that but right now I'm not in the mood)
hmm, when i get bored i sometimes draw out guitar ideas but like u i cant draw one from scratch. If its easy to trace i would try and get a clear idea of what u want, (superstrat, les paul, V etc) then maby do a slight variation if u look at Corey Beaulieu (i think thats his name) he did a sig with dean and just cut out 2 small bits on a V.

Just remember it doesnt have to be a whole new shape butsomething that u made would be cool
Well if an SG and a Jazzmaster had a baby, it would look like a Manson if it was a boy, and a Viper if it was a girl...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Archieisted
hmm, when i get bored i sometimes draw out guitar ideas but like u i cant draw one from scratch. If its easy to trace i would try and get a clear idea of what u want, (superstrat, les paul, V etc) then maby do a slight variation if u look at Corey Beaulieu (i think thats his name) he did a sig with dean and just cut out 2 small bits on a V.

Just remember it doesnt have to be a whole new shape butsomething that u made would be cool

Sorry but Corey's signature was one of the ugliest takes on a Flying V that I've ever seen. His prototype was good, but the one with C cutouts looked horrible.

Anyway, why not think about using two shapes that you really like, then using the top and bottom half from each one. It might come out a bit drastic if you have the horns of an SG/Viper mixed with the curves of the Manson and angles of the Jazz
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Its always going to look a bit like an existing design but maybe thats not a bad thing because there all solid designs. aslong as its not a exact copy id go with it.

If you really wanna be different paint it bright green.
Quote by biga29
Well if an SG and a Jazzmaster had a baby, it would look like a Manson if it was a boy, and a Viper if it was a girl...
That's an interesting way of looking at it...
I drew around my PRS and then fiddled around with the lines to make it more personal. Pretty sure it's been recommended but take the body shape of something you want to base it off then just add lines you want, and you should end up with something unique
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I usually start from a picture from the shape I want to use. This is a shape that I just made like 3 minutes ago to show you how I do it. I just started with a picture of a Schecter ATX Blackjack, and edited the the horns to my desire. Now it looks like a combination of the C-1 & ESP Horizon III. It was a quicky so don't mind the horrible edges and all.:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7779/blackjackatxawht569ee10.jpg

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by Sleazeball
Sorry but Corey's signature was one of the ugliest takes on a Flying V that I've ever seen. His prototype was good, but the one with C cutouts looked horrible.

Anyway, why not think about using two shapes that you really like, then using the top and bottom half from each one. It might come out a bit drastic if you have the horns of an SG/Viper mixed with the curves of the Manson and angles of the Jazz

i agree, never really liked it im just showing you dont have to do alot to get a unique shape
I suck at drawing that's why I never did that... but I suppose I would pick up a template from the templates thread and start by making small changes, to personalize it
You could have the top horn of the manson, and the bottom horn of the viper/sg ish shape. One thing I did when I built my bass was I traced my jazz bass body on a poster and then erased and modified it there instead of going freehand, mainly so all of the proportions would be close to being right. But this wasy seemed to work out alot easier than just randomly drawing something
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Thanks for your help guys.

I've got one design - Its like the Manson, but I made the bottom cutaway like an SG, and put the 'edges' cut into the SG on it.
Be careful with designing your body. Body's are a certain shape for certain reasons (tone and fret access). Make sure you're not sacrificing important things just to have a cool looking guitar.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Be careful with designing your body. Body's are a certain shape for certain reasons (tone and fret access). Make sure you're not sacrificing important things just to have a cool looking guitar.

very true. just keep that in the back of your mind somewhere. you might end up wanting a big cutout for the upper fret access. could be custom AND very useful! what woods were you thinking of using? could be a very very cool project if it were laminated woods like the one below

not mine, by the way!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by JELIFISH19
I am aware of that. I have been keeping that in mind, as I want good fret access.

As for woods, I prefer mahogany