i was told that dialing in the eq and other settings on my new krank rev would be tricky... and it is. and i took some advice from some of you and got a maxon 808 the other day. now ive got that to try and figure out.

anyone got some setting ideas on these? im looking for a thick metal tone
Quote by bigcrushjake
im looking for a thick metal tone

Sorry to be the first to say it, but you shoulda got a mesa. Krank's do one good thing and that's make a whole lot of noise and not much tone.
Quote by SDM
Sorry to be the first to say it, but you shoulda got a mesa. Krank's do one good thing and that's make a whole lot of noise and not much tone.

Not true. Kranks are actually nice amps if you spend time investigating the sweep and how it works.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Not true. Kranks are actually nice amps if you spend time investigating the sweep and how it works.

This, however Kranks =/= thick....they are more thin sounding....but not in a bad way....

I do agree that if you want thick tone, Diezel, Bogner, Boogie, or Randall.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by bigcrushjake
wonderful.
any thoughts on the settings?

How long did you sit and play with the settings before you went and bought an 808?

I have always felt that if you NEED a boost to make an amp sound good to you....then maybe its not the amp for you....but then there are people like Erock who just have to have their amps boosted because they like that tone....however if all you want is a thick metal tone....this may not be the amp for you....

Oh, and 808's are notorious for adding midrange and cutting low end.
Quote by SDM

Actually if you took the time to EQ it properly you'd know other wise.

TS, are you running a Rev Jr? if so then me and you have the exact same rig (excluding guitar). I use my OD808 primarily for tightening up my distortion so I find properly setting up the tone and balance on the OD is the key. IMO the best thing to do is run straight to your amp and EQ it 'til you find the tone you like best (IMO you should start with everything sitting at 12 o'clock and adjust the sweep with that then once you find a place in the sweep you like start applying your eq/gain settings), then from there add in your OD and set it 'til you like the tone your getting. After that give it some final adjustments on the amp, odds are you'll receive some coloring from the pedal that you'll want to adjust.
Quote by Shabadoo
Actually if you took the time to EQ it properly you'd know other wise.

Believe me when i say i have, spent a good couple of hours trying kranks out because my friends kept talking about how good they were and no matter what i did i couldn't get the balls out of it i wanted. I've actually seen a local band that uses nothing but Krank and they sound killer in the studio, but live they get lost in the top end to much, too much sizzle not enough growl. All personal preference though mate haha.

Back to the original topic though. For a lead tone, i'd kill for a krank, those things just cut through so clear, but if you're after a real awesome rhythm distortion i'd suggest looking elsewhere, mainly engl, diezel and even a nice mesa (with a tube screemer/od808). Those amps generally gives a nice chuggy bottom end while still keeping clarity.

I also read in one of your previous threads though that you were after a new cabnet, this would be something to look into asap since the cab plays a huge role in the sound. Obviously buying the matching cab is a plus since the amp is tuned to those specific speakers, but if you're after more warmth and a bit more bite, try something loaded with Vintage 30's like a Mesa, while say a framus cobra cab with greenbacks give a bit more sizzle, and if you're after clarity you can go for something with some nice celestions 80's or maybe 100's.

But as it's been said thousands of times before, it's all personal preference, if you're loving the sound you're getting but just want to tweek it then more power you to, you're one step closer to your dream than the rest of us haha
Quote by SDM
Believe me when i say i have, spent a good couple of hours trying kranks out because my friends kept talking about how good they were and no matter what i did i couldn't get the balls out of it i wanted. I've actually seen a local band that uses nothing but Krank and they sound killer in the studio, but live they get lost in the top end to much, too much sizzle not enough growl. All personal preference though mate haha.

Back to the original topic though. For a lead tone, i'd kill for a krank, those things just cut through so clear, but if you're after a real awesome rhythm distortion i'd suggest looking elsewhere, mainly engl, diezel and even a nice mesa (with a tube screemer/od808). Those amps generally gives a nice chuggy bottom end while still keeping clarity.

I also read in one of your previous threads though that you were after a new cabnet, this would be something to look into asap since the cab plays a huge role in the sound. Obviously buying the matching cab is a plus since the amp is tuned to those specific speakers, but if you're after more warmth and a bit more bite, try something loaded with Vintage 30's like a Mesa, while say a framus cobra cab with greenbacks give a bit more sizzle, and if you're after clarity you can go for something with some nice celestions 80's or maybe 100's.

But as it's been said thousands of times before, it's all personal preference, if you're loving the sound you're getting but just want to tweek it then more power you to, you're one step closer to your dream than the rest of us haha

Your absolutley right, it's all personal preference. For me personally I like a little more brightness in my chugging/rhythms and little more warmth to my leads so the Krank and Maxon combo give me what I want. I just get a little defensive when people say Kranks suck, I think they suffer from the Dime association syndrome in that effect.
Quote by Shabadoo
Your absolutley right, it's all personal preference. For me personally I like a little more brightness in my chugging/rhythms and little more warmth to my leads so the Krank and Maxon combo give me what I want. I just get a little defensive when people say Kranks suck, I think they suffer from the Dime association syndrome in that effect.

I love the way that the Krankenstein sounds....howeever there isn't really any Dime association...he didn't use Krank very long...

The reason that most people don't like Krank is because they are ****ty business people. They paid their staff to go on HC and give good reviews, and then go on HCAF and post threads raving about how great the amps were. Then....they went behind their dealers backs and started selling amps out the back door for below retail to anyone who came calling. THIS is why I don't like Krank the company.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I love the way that the Krankenstein sounds....howeever there isn't really any Dime association...he didn't use Krank very long...

The reason that most people don't like Krank is because they are ****ty business people. They paid their staff to go on HC and give good reviews, and then go on HCAF and post threads raving about how great the amps were. Then....they went behind their dealers backs and started selling amps out the back door for below retail to anyone who came calling. THIS is why I don't like Krank the company.

Very true but I just feel that anything with a Dime association gets a few "lawl dime"s from a few people. Probably just sticks in my head a little more because the guy at the store went out of his way to explain that the shop had been riding Dime's nuts for his whole career.

I didn't know about their shady business dealings. Still would've bought the Rev Jr. anyways, but that is a little more unerstadable.