ive been lookin at getting a new guitar for a while cos the guitar i have at the moment i use the play metal stuff and leave it in drop c so id like another guitar to play things in standard tuning and i really like these 2. i would be playing stuff like ac/dc, black sabbath, led zep etc.

so what do people think would be the best choice and can anyone recommend anything else. thanks
sg custom? or def the les paul custom.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Well 'DC and Sabbath both used SG's, Zeppelin used Les Pauls in the studio, from experience the SG has the longer neck scale and has better fret access, however the Les Paul has the deeper tone as a result of the larger overall mass, whiolst the SG is rather top-end-heavy, so you'll have to turn the treble on the amp down a bit, whilst boosting the bass N mids. I've owned an Epiphone Standard LP, and had to say I wasn't impressed with the sounds, but it played nicely enough, so I'm inclined to go for the SG
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Try them.
I vouch for the G-400 because I own one, and love it .

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I'd get the G-400. I love my LP (not an Epiphone, mind) but would kill for better upper fret access.

That, and everyone has an LP. Lots of people have an SG shape too, but not as many.

Also, Iommi played/plays an SG. And Iommi is awesome.

In the end though, best answer is for you to play both yourself and choose whichever you like more.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
I have to say les paul because
a)SGs are very neck heavy and I never felt comfortable playing one
b)The SG has a thinner tone and is more trebly, the LPs is warmer and deeper
c)The Les Pauls look better
what's your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Rhoads_1096

Just to clarify a), SG's are not neck heavy in the sense that the neck is chunky or oversized, but Epi SG's have a different neck strap button location than Gibson SG's, and that button location makes the guitar not balanced at all. The neck isnt heavy, you just have to constantly hold the neck of an EPI SG because the weight is not balanced very well around the two strap buttons.

Needless to say, I used to own an SG-400 and sold it because I never could stand the neck dive. You of course can get used to it, so I dont fault anyone who owns and loves their SG's, but I personally never could get comfortable with it. It was always on my mind and annoying that I had to support the neck, especially while doing certain chords it felt unnatural.
Quote by Rhoads_1096

A) Is true but as someone else said it's because of the strap button being located closer to the body. Also, my cousins G-400's neck is as thick as a baseball bat.

B) This is false. SG's are darker than an LP becuase of the lack of a maple cap on the SG. Although I would consider the tone thinner on an SG compared to an LP. But the thinner tone isn't exactly a bad thing, it all depends on what your going for.

C) I know this was just an opinion but I feel you should go with what plays better fo you. They're both good looking guitars so don't get too caught up in which looks cooler.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Neither.
The Epi LP Custom is no different from the Standard, except you're paying more for a different finish and ''gold'' hardware that will rub to bare brass in a few months.
The G-400 Custom's third pickup actually limits your tonal options and severely harms sustain, as well as adds in one more thing that can go wrong (which is a big concern, considering Epiphone's dodgy quality control). It's also the same issue as the Epi LP Custom, you're paying more for a certain look and cheap gold-coloured hardware for a guitar that won't actually be built or sound any better than a normal G-400.

Quote by GuitarDTO
Just to clarify a), SG's are not neck heavy in the sense that the neck is chunky or oversized, but Epi SG's have a different neck strap button location than Gibson SG's, and that button location makes the guitar not balanced at all. The neck isnt heavy, you just have to constantly hold the neck of an EPI SG because the weight is not balanced very well around the two strap buttons.
Actually, this is completely false. It used to be true, going back a few years, but the G-400's made now have the strap button in the 'correct' position, but more to the point the Epi's neck is considerably thicker than the traditional Gibson SG's '60's' neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Korzack
Well 'DC and Sabbath both used SG's, Zeppelin used Les Pauls in the studio, from experience the SG has the longer neck scale and has better fret access, however the Les Paul has the deeper tone as a result of the larger overall mass, whiolst the SG is rather top-end-heavy, so you'll have to turn the treble on the amp down a bit, whilst boosting the bass N mids. I've owned an Epiphone Standard LP, and had to say I wasn't impressed with the sounds, but it played nicely enough, so I'm inclined to go for the SG

SGs and Les Pauls are both 24.75.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Korzack
Well 'DC and Sabbath both used SG's, Zeppelin used Les Pauls in the studio,

Actually, the first few Zep albums were recorded with a Tele, and I think some of the songs on the first Sabbaath album were recorded on a strat.
I'd go with the G-400, it's one of Epiphone's best made guitars (for the price), and.... I own one
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by MrFlibble
The Epi LP Custom is no different from the Standard, except you're paying more for a different finish and ''gold'' hardware that will rub to bare brass in a few months.

Not strictly true. Some (admittedly not many) of them have different pickups. That said, you're generally correct there.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
They're both fine guitars, it really just comes down to your preference.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by MrFlibble
Neither.
The G-400 Custom's third pickup actually limits your tonal options and severely harms sustain, as well as adds in one more thing that can go wrong (which is a big concern, considering Epiphone's dodgy quality control). It's also the same issue as the Epi LP Custom, you're paying more for a certain look and cheap gold-coloured hardware for a guitar that won't actually be built or sound any better than a normal G-400.

Actually, this is completely false. It used to be true, going back a few years, but the G-400's made now have the strap button in the 'correct' position, but more to the point the Epi's neck is considerably thicker than the traditional Gibson SG's '60's' neck.

Flibble, we got into this in another thread a few months back, but I think you are incorrect about this. Look at the pictures on Musiciansfriend of all of the Epiphone G400's (the ones that picture the back of the guitar). The neck joint, and button are both about an inch lower than on a Gibson SG. The Epiphone SG I sold was a 2008 model, and had this lower button location. I won't pretend to be an expert on when/which year models have which button location, but I am just going by the pictures and by the 2008 model I owned.

EDIT: Here is a picture of a Epiphone SG Prophecy....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515622

and a Gibson SG:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=517265

Regardless, this just emphasizes the importance of trying these guitars in person with a strap before buying.
Last edited by GuitarDTO at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by melton100
Actually, the first few Zep albums were recorded with a Tele, and I think some of the songs on the first Sabbaath album were recorded on a strat.
Well... only the first album used the telecaster extensively, and it was used hear and there on other albums as well, but Page used a ton of different guitars in the studio, I don't think anyone really knows the full extent besides Page himself.

But live, his main guitar was always the les paul.
All I have to say is: Get a Tokai.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Tokais are not in the same price range as Epiphones.

Unless you're talking about the MIK models which are really not any better.
Quote by al112987
Tokais are not in the same price range as Epiphones.

Unless you're talking about the MIK models which are really not any better.

Perhaps not better spec wise but with everyone going on about QC I think Tokai win over Epi in that department.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB