Hi all,

I have an RG ibanez which is around 14 years old.

Recently i decided to give it a good clean, in doing so i removed all the strings.

Since cleaning i have added a new set of strings of the same Guage,

The problem i am encountering is the floating trem continues to keep rising, never allowing the guitar to reach standard E Tuning, Essentialy it can be tuned flat, but it doesn't even hold that properely.

Does anyone have a guide or link to restringing a floating trem from scratch where the guitar currently has no strings on.

Thanks
Basically there are 2 things happening..

1. When you tune up 1 string, that decreases the tension on the rest of the strings, making them go flat.

2. New strings need to be stretched. So you get it in tune, play for a bit, and they've stretched so they're flat again.

You basically just have to keep going untill they are all in tune.
And keep stretching them by hand a little bit at a time

Keep going untill they don't go out of tune anymore.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Add more tension to the trem springs in the back of the guitar and it will pull your bridge down more.

I don't like the block the trem idea, as it doesn't allow you to learn and see the relationship that is there between the strings tension and the bridges spring tension. As anytime you change the guage of your strings you will need to adjust the spring tension to really get the strings to feel right.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
in the future, swap one string at a time.

and like said, add a spring and/or tighten the springs i the back cavity.
so the bridge stops lifting.

in a day or so the new strings will hold a tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the same problem with my Ibanez SAS36FM. I used to have Ernie Ball strings, then changed and put D'Addarios on (same gauge, but obviously the different company makes a slight difference) one at a time.

The bridge is much too high at standard tuning, so i have it tuned down half a step, but it's still slightly high. I've adjusted the screws in the back (screw them into the body, raising the tension in the springs, right?) to try and pull the bridge down a bit, but that's made no difference at all.

Any suggestions?
it's not really cool to jump into someone elses thread. but sounds like you need to add a spring too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Try this when setting up your FR, In my 20 years of playing guitar this is the fastest method to setting up a FR that I have tried and it works great. 5 mins tops any tuning or gauge. tho int. will still need to be set before setup if changing gauge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCtZN80L64
Last edited by DimeLvR at Aug 27, 2009,
Well, i didn't want to start a new thread about exactly the same thing, since everyone would start telling me to use the search bar.
Quote by Gruff
Well, i didn't want to start a new thread about exactly the same thing, since everyone would start telling me to use the search bar.

ok, i'm trying to help you out. just add the spring.
and use the setup threads at the top of the page in the future.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Adding a spring isn't the greatest idea.

As stated before as you increase tension on one string you will lose it on the others. So with that in mind, if you can't get the bridge to stop pulling forward you will need to loosen the tension on every string, just a half turn at a time, until the bridge sit just BELOW parrallel with the guitars body.

Now that you are at this point, I find it much easier to tune the strings in this order due to each string having a different tension. High E, Low E, G, A, B, D.

A good little trick I use is to actually tune each string a little sharp, that way as you are tunning the others it will lose a little tension and basically flatten it out and be really close to being in tune. Then you add your nut and fine tune all those bad boys or girls for the politically correct folks on the board.

Side note: 3 springs in the back is plenty unless you plan on using a really heavy guages string. If you go .12 or higher I would add another spring. You just have to find the right balance of spring tension and spring tension. I can use .09 strings tuneed down 1 whole step and if you make your spring adjustment right your strings will feel like they are tunned to standard even though they are not. Can't do that with fixed bridges, which is another reason I prefer floating bridges to fixed.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by srob7001 at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by srob7001
Adding a spring isn't the greatest idea.

As stated before as you increase tension on one string you will lose it on the others. So with that in mind, if you can't get the bridge to stop pulling forward you will need to loosen the tension on every string, just a half turn at a time, until the bridge sit just BELOW parrallel with the guitars body.

Now that you are at this point, I find it much easier to tune the strings in this order due to each string having a different tension. High E, Low E, G, A, B, D.

A good little trick I use is to actually tune each string a little sharp, that way as you are tunning the others it will loose a little tension and basically flatten it out and be really close to being in tune. Then you add your nut and fine tune all those bad boys or girls for the politically correct folks on the board.

Side note: 3 springs in the back is plenty unless you plan on using a really heavy guages string. If you go .12 or higher I would add another spring. You just have to find the right balance of spring tension and spring tension. I can use .09 strings tuneed down 1 whole step and if you make your spring adjustment right your strings will feel like they are tunned to standard even though they are not. Can't do that with fixed bridges, which is another reason I prefer floating bridges to fixed.

if the bridge is lifting, and tightening the screws doesnt help, then adding a spring is the answer.
you really don't know how strong his springs are.

if 3 keeps you balanced then it's 3. if 4 keeps you balanced then it's four.

cross tuning is a good way to tune up, but if what he's saying is that, he needs to balance the bridge, then he should balance it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by DimeLvR
Try this when setting up your FR, In my 20 years of playing guitar this is the fastest method to setting up a FR that I have tried and it works great. 5 mins tops any tuning or gauge. tho int. will still need to be set before setup if changing gauge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCtZN80L64

Great, thats a keeper,

Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCtZN80L64

guitar is now in tune

Thanks for all the comments
Quote by jj1565
if the bridge is lifting, and tightening the screws doesnt help, then adding a spring is the answer.
you really don't know how strong his springs are.

if 3 keeps you balanced then it's 3. if 4 keeps you balanced then it's four.

cross tuning is a good way to tune up, but if what he's saying is that, he needs to balance the bridge, then he should balance it.

If they are the springs that came with the guitar then they are all all basically the same tension. His problem is that there is too much string tension(more than the springs) which is why the bridge is lifting.

Not once on any guitar I've ever set up have I had to use more than 3 springs if the owner is using .08-.11 guage strings in any tunning between standard and 2 steps down. A 4th spring has just never been needed.

Now if for some reason the springs are that worn out to where you need a 4th spring, your best bet is to just replace the 3 that are in there with some new ones so that you don't need 4 springs.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
If they are the springs that came with the guitar then they are all all basically the same tension. His problem is that there is too much string tension(more than the springs) which is why the bridge is lifting.

Not once on any guitar I've ever set up have I had to use more than 3 springs if the owner is using .08-.11 guage strings in any tunning between standard and 2 steps down. A 4th spring has just never been needed.

Now if for some reason the springs are that worn out to where you need a 4th spring, your best bet is to just replace the 3 that are in there with some new ones so that you don't need 4 springs.

not talking about this fella who thankfully found his answer in the set up link.

but in this section a lot of guys have low end, worn, floyd copies and strat style trems.

i know exactly what you're saying, but definites don't always hold up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62