Right now I have the possibility of buying a peavey valveking 112 or a peavey triple xxx 112. My friend is selling them I need an amp and I've heard good reviews on both. I play thrash metal and other forms of heavy metal. A bit of death metal like Children of Bodom. The only effect pedal i have is a mt-2 metal zone. Which one should I buy some people say that the valveking needs a pedal to sound like thrash others say it sounds great for metal. With the triple x people say its only good for nu metal which i dont play so right now i need help I know nothing about amps. Thank you guys in advanced
Nu metal is not a "tone" its a style.
Get the XXX, you'll be happy.
Ive played both. I'd go with the VK. The XXX is great, heavey, and nasty. But the clean channel, aka that nice tube tone is best on the VK, and not the XXX. But thats all my opinion. I looked at buying a VK, but didnt. Im still waiting to try an Orange amp out this fall, headed to dallas in september, I hope they sound great. But hey, its really up to you.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I was thinking of the XXL in the earlier post. In that case, either would be fine.

The MT-2 should do you fine. It gets a lot of flack, but you can get it Kelley Modded and have a very, very nice pedal.

There's a lot of folks here with VKs, if that tells you anything.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 27, 2009,
Well, by 'nu-metal,' he probably means scooped mids type tone.

And whoever it was that told you the XXX was only good for that is
A) someone who has no experience with the amp
B) someone who doesn't know how to dial tone
C) just deaf.

I've got a XXX 2x12 and I have no issues at all getting really good mid-range crunch out of it. You CAN scoop it if you want to, but it does both very well with a pretty decent clean channel.

I'd definitely go with the XXX. I bought mine three years back and haven't regretted it a second since.

The only thing is that they're painfully heavy, but this is true with most tube combos.

Unless you REALLY prefer the MT2, you won't need it with the XXX. Both dirty channels have more than enough gain to go without a mod pedal. Some guys prefer to throw an OD in the front to tighten it up, though, but that's preference.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Aug 27, 2009,
The Triple XXX will be better for what you want from the get-go. The Valveking would need several mods and upgrades to do well for metal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by magicmanyea
So with the xxx i wouldnt need the pedal right

correct...you won't need your pedal. You may want an overdrive at some point to boost solos but it just depends whether you think you need it or not. probably won't need anything
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Yes, Triple XXX for sure.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks alot you guys yeah i tried playing the vk but i didnt have a pedal with me and it didnt sound that great for what I need its great for bluesy type stuff , I've never tried the xxx but from what I've heard its made for metal.
^ There's a bunch of XXX vids on YouTube.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Ive played both. I'd go with the VK. The XXX is great, heavey, and nasty. But the clean channel, aka that nice tube tone is best on the VK, and not the XXX. But thats all my opinion. I looked at buying a VK, but didnt. Im still waiting to try an Orange amp out this fall, headed to dallas in september, I hope they sound great. But hey, its really up to you.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I was thinking of the XXL in the earlier post. In that case, either would be fine.

The MT-2 should do you fine. It gets a lot of flack, but you can get it Kelley Modded and have a very, very nice pedal.

There's a lot of folks here with VKs, if that tells you anything.

The Triple X slays the VK in every way, cleans Overdive and versatilty. The cleans on the Triple X are decent, the only time they sound bad is when the Bias is not adjusted properly, VK cleans IMO are not that great at all, decent with the bright switch on, but still are far from what I would call "great" cleans, IMO niether amp has an awesome clean channel, but the once the bias is properly set on the Triple X the cleans are much better than the VK, IMO equally as good as Messa or any other high gainer. The OD channels are no comparison, the Triple X has got it, they work well for nearly any style(strugles a bit for a real low gained tone, but I can pull these tones out). The VK has very generic drive which really is limited to about thrash metal without a boost, it sounds okay, but it does not compare to the Triple X.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I own a VK and have played the XXX and if you can get either for roughly the same price then get the XXX. Dudey is right about it being a tad bright (VK is considered dark) but for what you play the XXX will be better out of the gate.

PS: I recently did a clip of the VK with a new speaker and mods if you are curious as to what that sounds like. It can def do more than just blues. In profile.

Edit: Also +1 to John's summary but I'll add that the cleans on the VK are actually pretty nice. Maybe not great. I have no clips of the clean channel.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by magicmanyea
, I've never tried the xxx but from what I've heard its made for metal.

You are right, the Triple X was maketed for hard-rock and metal players, but don't let that fool you, they are far from a one trick pony, there are many tones in these amps and they are more than capable of nearly any genre of music, with the active EQ so many tones can be coaxed out.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
cool you guys thanks , yeah i play mostly metallica and sepultura , exodus that kind of stuff rythm guitar mostly , lotsa palm mutes and the amps i played I cant really get nice palm mutes I did with a mesa my friend has but i cant afford that type of amp lol but yeah xxx seems like it would work ill check out the youtube videos .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I own a VK and have played the XXX and if you can get either for roughly the same price then get the XXX. Dudey is right about it being a tad bright (VK is considered dark) but for what you play the XXX will be better out of the gate.

PS: I recently did a clip of the VK with a new speaker and mods if you are curious as to what that sounds like. It can def do more than just blues. In profile.

Edit: Also +1 to John's summary but I'll add that the cleans on the VK are actually pretty nice. Maybe not great. I have no clips of the clean channel.

They are a bit bright, but it does have a treble knob, also I boost my mids, so the brightness seems to get lost in all the midrange harmonics and detail.
Scooped mids=FAIL
Quote by magicmanyea
cool you guys thanks , yeah i play mostly metallica and sepultura , exodus that kind of stuff rythm guitar mostly , lotsa palm mutes and the amps i played I cant really get nice palm mutes I did with a mesa my friend has but i cant afford that type of amp lol but yeah xxx seems like it would work ill check out the youtube videos .

Dude don't let the price fool you, with a proper cab and setup they can hold thier own against any Mesa Boogie. I actually picked the Triple X over a Daul Rectifier when I was shoping for amps 2 years ago, the Triple X's tone was more raw, but was nearly just as versatile boogie, and I could not justify the price jump when IMO they are near equalls.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Aug 27, 2009,
^JJ KT-77's now, they are awesome, all the detail of the EL34's, with the nearly the headroom and lowend of a 6l6GC. I actaully thinking about converting my combo to a head with a 2X12 cab, I am sick of replacing 12ax7 becuase of mechanical noise.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Aug 27, 2009,
xxx>valve king

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

so the valveking really couldnt get me that sound? I'm just asking because i know of one for real cheap lol
XXX all the way. I wouldn't even think about getting the VK if I could get an XXX. The XXX will blow the VK outta the water. If you get a VK, you'll probably have to mod it to get it to sound as good as the XXX. I wish I could've got a XXX and I have a 5150.

Bottom line: get the XXX.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
thank you i serached vids on youtube and some ppl get a realy good sound from the valveking some metallica in there but xxx seems like its a better choise
Quote by magicmanyea
thank you i serached vids on youtube and some ppl get a realy good sound from the valveking some metallica in there but xxx seems like its a better choise

Don't get me wrong, the VK are good amps for what they are, they are an American Mid/high gain amp with a lot midiocer "Old School Mesa" type tone, but really its far and away from a Mesa, the drive is similar, but lacks the detail and fullness. They are good budget tube amps great for a musician on a tight budget or for upgrading to thier first tube amp, but they just do not compare to the Triple X, which is and entry level Pro amp.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
arite so tomorrow i think im gonna go try it out and buy it only 400 bucks so im happy about that im gonna try the vk too just for the hell of it im gonna take my pedal too to try it out with the vk but im most likely going to get the triple x
alright thank you so much i bought the xxx and WOW its great 400 dollars very well spent , the second part of this is that i dont know anything about amps i was wondering if anyone here uses the xxx for thrash type stuff think of master of puppets because i need help with the settings thank you very much great amp sounds great just my eq ability sucks
Set the bass mids and treble at 5, then make slight adjustments to each knob untill you are satisfied, keep in mind active EQs take some getting use to, also if the amp seems to out of control, try setting all the EQ knobs at 2.5-3 and then make your adjustments. If you jack up your tone, repeat until satisfied.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6