I have a solid state combo amp (Peavey classic 112) and today while I was playing it just stopped working. The power was on but it wasnt making any noise. (No noise at all) I checked the cable it wasnt that and the volume on my guitar was on. The power light was still on so what would cause this. Help!
Are you sure this isn't a Peavey Classic 30? If so, then it sounds like a blown HT fuse (High Tension). Take it in or get help.

If not and it is a solid state Classic series, then hope that it is a fuse and not something else. Replace the amp or get help.

Can you get us a pic of this amp?

Check guitar volume (I know I know but its happened before)
Check cables
Check batteries
Check pedals
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Check cables
Check batteries
Check pedals

These in particular. Every single time I think my power tubes have died or I've blown a fuse, it's my bandmates/me who get too wild during practice and pull out my cables.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Are you sure this isn't a Peavey Classic 30? If so, then it sounds like a blown HT fuse (High Tension). Take it in or get help.

If not and it is a solid state Classic series, then hope that it is a fuse and not something else. Replace the amp or get help.

Can you get us a pic of this amp?

Check cables
Check batteries
Check pedals

It is definatly no pedals as I had no plugged in at the time. I switched out cables to another one I had and it wsnt that. The thing is Im getting no sound at all. Nothing from the reverb tank. It is also definatly a classic 112 solid state.

Here are some pics:

sorry they kindof suck. I only had a cell phone.
Last edited by SKAtastic7770 at Aug 27, 2009,
OK, that's a Peavey SPECIAL 112, not classic....HUGE difference....

Anyway, I'd be looking for blown fuses. does it have a fuse on the back that you can remove (unplug it first of coarse....)..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
OK, that's a Peavey SPECIAL 112, not classic....HUGE difference....

Anyway, I'd be looking for blown fuses. does it have a fuse on the back that you can remove (unplug it first of coarse....)..

Sorry, your right it is a special. i got em mixed up. Umm I dont know much about amps. In the back there is a black glass box about 3"x2"x2". Other than that I just see the speaker and the reverb tank. All the connections appear good.
I suppose it could be a disconnected Insert Jack (tips aren't connecting). SS amps are difficult (and sometimes costly) to diagnose and repair. If it is not a disconnected speaker or insert jack then it may be time for a new amp.

maybe someone else has other things to suggest as that's all I can think of.

Edit: To my knowledge 'most' SS amps only have 1 fuse, so if it powers on then I doubt that's it. Fuses either work or they don't work. Don't quote me on that though it is possible there is another fuse in there.

I would email Peavey or post on the peavey.com forums
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 27, 2009,
It has 2 input jacks right, have you tried both?

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
It has 2 input jacks right, have you tried both?

yes I have tried them both. Still I believe I could still hear a hum or the reverb tank regardless of whether or not cables or jacks are working.
hum?

You mean when you play it? If the amp powers on then that is entirely possible. Try unplugging the tank and then listen.

Also, you are cranking up every knob right and guitar volume knob?

Try a different guitar on the amp.
Try your guitar in a different amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hum?

You mean when you play it? If the amp powers on then that is entirely possible. Try unplugging the tank and then listen.

Also, you are cranking up every knob right and guitar volume knob?

Try a different guitar on the amp.
Try your guitar in a different amp.

Yeah when the amp is turned on I usually hear just some light "noise' really not very loud. Unfortunatly I only have one guitar but Ill keep trying every thing
I think that is just the amp making noise like all amps do - considering it powers on and all.

Insert jacks and speakers and guitar volume are different.

Maybe it is a bad insert jack on your Squier (which you have spelled incorrectly btw)

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think that is just the amp making noise like all amps do - considering it powers on and all.

Insert jacks and speakers and guitar volume are different.

Maybe it is a bad insert jack on your Squier (which you have spelled incorrectly btw)

I meant that the amp "IS NOT" making that general noise that all amps do. My guitar works fine on my other amp.
It happens bro. There are a lot of transistors and such in there. How old is that amp? Did you buy it new? Does it ever leave that room? Not trying to be prick just trying to help you isolate. We see amps on here that almost new die right before your eyes both tube and solid state. The big difference to me is that tube amps are a lot simpler (ok there are some complicated tube amps out there) or are at least easier to diagnose.

*I see you have a speaker question thread, so I'll check it*
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It happens bro. There are a lot of transistors and such in there. How old is that amp? Did you buy it new? Does it ever leave that room? Not trying to be prick just trying to help you isolate. We see amps on here that almost new die right before your eyes both tube and solid state. The big difference to me is that tube amps are a lot simpler (ok there are some complicated tube amps out there) or are at least easier to diagnose.

*I see you have a speaker question thread, so I'll check it*

Yeah turns out that I jumped the gun in assuming it was something else, it turns out it was the speaker all along which sucks cuz it was a real nice speaker. I just wonder how a speaker blew without any warning or noise when my amp wasn't even up that loud. Kind of scares me about putting a new one in. SOrry I was a bit ignorant about blaming my speaker.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I don't understand how a solid state could just stop working without anywarning.

Any amp can. However, it's the stupidly high cost of repairing the amp when something does go that completely turns me off solid state.

PTP tubes are just so easy to troubleshoot.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.