I am currently torn between two guitars, the ESP Ltd Mh-1000 with a Floyd Rose, and an Ibanez S2170se. I play metal/metalcore type of stuff, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, Lamb of God, and stuff like that. The EMG's on the Esp are probably better for metal, but I could also change the pickups on the Ibanez. I have not played the ESP, but when I played the Ibanez, it was an amazing guitar, trem felt good, the neck was just so smooth and fast. I just wanted to know what experience you guys have had with these guitars and what you think. I can get them for both the same price, both used. Thanks
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
I personally havnt played either of them but just looking at the details and stuff I would go with the Ibanez
The S2170se since the S series is the ****. Also the ZR trem is very good. Your right about the pickups tho. you'll probalby have to change them out.
I personally would get the LTD because it has 24 frets and better pickups. Both necks feel good to me and both trems are reliable. Since you're going to swap the pups, I'd just save the 200 bucks. S Series have very nice thin bodies though.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
ive played the ESP i liked it well id advise goin to music store play both see which you preffer
You should try to play both of them, but if that's out of the question I would say go with the Ibanez...I've always liked them.
Both are awesome guitars so you won't be making a bad choice either way but I myself would go for the ltd
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
My vote is for the LTD MH-1000, first off the original floyd trem is just a little more stable and solid than the ZR (my opinion, I've owned both several times), also the pickups in the MH-1000 are a s**t ton better than the dimarzio by ibanez, you'll have to dish out like 200 bones just to replace those pickups with the EMG's already installed in the MH-1000, plus they'll have to carve a battery section out of the already thin S body shape of the S2170.

Also, the MH-1000 is a neck through body build which I find is more comfortable and has slightly more sustain than the neck joint on the S2170.

BTW, I play music like ABR, Devil wears prada, Texas In July etc.. and I'm using basically a higher end version of the MH-1000 (horizon FRII), and its absolutely perfect for what I play. Thats my 2cents
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Thanks for the input guys, but I think I'm gonna get the Ibanez, I don't have a way to try to Esp before trying it seeing as Guitar Center doesn't carry it, I'd have to order it off of Ebay and I don't like the idea of not playing a guitar before I get it. Also, I've heard that there's room in the tremolo cavity of the Ibanez to put batteries in. I'm sure I can suffer having an S Series Guitar
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
I prefer the LTD. It's a much more attractive guitar in that you can play more than metal on it. Sounds great too and plays well straight out the box. I was very close to buying one and I don't play metal much at all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
You made a good choice. I have played both of those and I think the Ibanez feels better, this is MY personal opinion.

Now the LTD PU's are a bit better but with the Ibanez you can swap something into it, I would HIGHlY recomend you not put EMG's in your guitar unless you have a good amp, plus you will have to change all the electronics to match up with active PU's as the Ibanez has passive.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Kurapica, the Ibanez has a 5 way selector, I would think it's more versatile that the ESP, and it'll be even more versatile considering I'm gonna have passive pickups in it, that's just my opinion haha. And what you're saying is coming from someone who has Ibanez's, weird
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Quote by drCoSmO1
Kurapica, the Ibanez has a 5 way selector, I would think it's more versatile that the ESP, and it'll be even more versatile considering I'm gonna have passive pickups in it, that's just my opinion haha. And what you're saying is coming from someone who has Ibanez's, weird

Haha, yeah, tastes change over time. The GRG was my first guitar and as for the PGM, I just fell in love with the playability.

I know the Ibanez has a 5 way selector, but I just can't quite see someone on stage playing indie or blues on it etc, that's what I meant by versatile. As for the tones, they will be completely different with the Ibanez potentially having more. However, if you coil tap the pups in the LTD you'd have almost as much. But yeah, I'd of gone for the LTD, it's a very nice guitar
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I would play blues with my RG simply because of the playability. No other guitar feels like it. I'm never fighting with it. My fingers are 2 steps ahead of my mind. It just flows better than any other neck I've played. It sounds good tonally too. It doesn't have the warmth of a mahogany guitar or the brightness of an alder guitar, but it's the most musical guitar I've played. It's very clean. It's like a professionally trained opera singer. She doesn't have the nuances that make Billie Holiday great but her voice is as perfect as they come. The only thing is the look. But there are plenty of Ibanezes that have that Wizard Prestige playability without the metal look like the FR, S, and SV. Steve Vai can play the blues on a guitar that's extremely similar to an RG.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I would play blues with my RG simply because of the playability. No other guitar feels like it. I'm never fighting with it. My fingers are 2 steps ahead of my mind. It just flows better than any other neck I've played. It sounds good tonally too. It doesn't have the warmth of a mahogany guitar or the brightness of an alder guitar, but it's the most musical guitar I've played. It's very clean. It's like a professionally trained opera singer. She doesn't have the nuances that make Billie Holiday great but her voice is as perfect as they come. The only thing is the look. But there are plenty of Ibanezes that have that Wizard Prestige playability without the metal look like the FR, S, and SV. Steve Vai can play the blues on a guitar that's extremely similar to an RG.

This. I follow this school of thought. For jazz and blues my Ibby's seems to flow much smoother than any of my other guitars

The ibanez is a prestige model, leveling itself up from the korean made guitars. IMO you get better build quality from them, hardware(minus pup, but pup switches are some of the easiest things to do, and negligible in the grand scheme of things). Sustain on the bolt on neck of an S prestige imo is better than the set neck through on the LTD. The new pups on the s prestiges are good sounding for what they are.

But its up to you to see if you like the feel of the ibanez guitar compared to the LTD. Do you like playing on finished necks like most LTD necks? Do you want EMGS? What about neck joint and construction preference?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks