Whenever I play the major scale I always end up playing it's minor pentatonic relative. I can't seem to use the intervals in a major scale properly. Whenever I make up a lick using the major scale I always look at it in terms of its minor relative. This being the case, I am always playing in a minor key. Are there any online resources out there that provide major scale phrasing?
Quote by Boxxxed
Whenever I play the major scale I always end up playing it's minor pentatonic relative. I can't seem to use the intervals in a major scale properly. Whenever I make up a lick using the major scale I always look at it in terms of its minor relative. This being the case, I am always playing in a minor key. Are there any online resources out there that provide major scale phrasing?

I have the same problem. Just do what I did to learn the minor scale phrasing, noodle around some major key backing tracks (chordbook.com has a great B major blues track).
Play over something in a major key. It's that simple.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Well if you play the chords of that major key under your lick it shouldnt sound minor. And why does it matter if your only playing Minor? I think its safe to say that 90% of rock is based on the Minor scale.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
When playing over tracks in a major key I end up playing the minor pentatonic relative. I've could never really play anything that was 'a stricly major lick'. I'm just trying to get that 'major sound'. Thanks for the input so far.
Quote by Bassmastajazzyj
Well if you play the chords of that major key under your lick it shouldnt sound minor. And why does it matter if your only playing Minor? I think its safe to say that 90% of rock is based on the Minor scale.

Just trying to broaden my playing
Quote by 7even
Play over something in a major key. It's that simple.

Do this. Harmony can force the melody to resolve somewhere. Your minor licks will sound funny, but any major ones you make will sound 'right'.
Quote by Boxxxed
When playing over tracks in a major key I end up playing the minor pentatonic relative. I've could never really play anything that was 'a stricly major lick'. I'm just trying to get that 'major sound'. Thanks for the input so far.

Keep in mind that the major/relative minor contain the exact same notes. So even if you're playing the relative minor scale "shape" you're actually playing the notes from the major as well. The real trick is what notes you land on.

For example if you're in C major you'll want to land on the C E G (those notes make up the c major chord) while if you're in minor you'll be aiming for A C E. Note that they share two of the same notes, so the one that really matters is the A note. That's the one that's going to make it sound minor.
Quote by Bassmastajazzyj

ehh, I disagree..

learning how to play over a major key is extremly important.. and he never mentioned he wanted to play "rock".. you're just assuming this

for the TS.. i don't really understand what you're saying, what are you playing over? Break your habbit by playing nothing but songs in major keys for the next few weeks
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Aug 27, 2009,
Let's say your backing track is in G major. Just start and end most of your phrases on the note G (happy sounding), not E (sad sounding). Try to play around the major 4th and 5th notes (C and D respectively). That's what works for me

EDIT: Just noticed that icronic said it first..
Last edited by kr1stians at Aug 27, 2009,
So, say you're in Cmaj, you're playing this pattern:
E------------------------------------------------5--7--8
B--------------------------------------5--6--8
G----------------------------4--5--7
D----------------------5--7
A-------------5--7--8
E---5--7--8

Instead of this one?:
E-------------------------------------8--10
B-----------------------------8--10
G-----------------------7--9
D----------------7--10
A---------7--10
E--8--10--

If that's the case, then you are just playing Cmaj pentatonic, not its relative minor, since you can't do that. You're just more comfortable with one of the scale patterns than the other.
yea, I have the same when I'm just noodling, but when playing over something it suddenly gets easy, so I suggest practicing over backing tracks.
Learn some songs and melodies that are based on the major scale.

That will help get your ear and head into that major sound and feel After that you should be fine.

Just make a determined effort for a week or so and you'll get there.
Si