..and I've got a crowbar wedged in my wallet to pick up a second guitar. My question is on avoiding redundant pickup options.

If I'm going to pick up a strat style guitar, should I go for the 3 single coil pickups or the 2 single coil plus a humbucker option? In other words is a HSS semi redundant if my Soapbar II already has dual P90's?

As far as which guitar(s) I've narrowed things down to - I'm getting drawn to the G&L Tribute line
i think single coils sound completely different than p90s (i know p90s are technically single coils, but they DON'T sound like strat pickups). i say go HSH or HSS. you'll definitely get some good tones. you'll have p90 neck, bridge, humbucker bridge, and some strat-like single coil sounds

EDIT: the reason i say HSS instead of SSS is because i think a good humbucker sound is important. if it's not important to you then go SSS, it won't sound like your guitar you already have
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 27, 2009,
I can't see a Strat sounding much like your prs. If you get a G&L Legacy with a nice maple fretboard you'll have a completely different guitar.
Just for clarification, I'm not going to reconfigure or sell my Soapbar. I'd be getting a new guitar as treatment for my recent case of GAS.

I guess I was more curious as to the overlapping sound profile of P90's vs. Humbuckers. If they were similar in nature (though not exact), I'd prefer to go a completely different route with a second guitar.
I personally prefer all single coils on my strats. The bridge pickup is great for twangy leads IMO.
TBH, if you want to buy a Strat for Strat tones, get a SSS [like me].

If you're not bothered, then HSS will do fine.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
p90s and humbuckers won't sound much alike. take your guitar to a store and A/B them (compare back and forth) and see what you like. i love my BFG has both. very convenient.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by stratman7
Strats look and sound best when they're SSS, IMO.

HSS -> More versatile, better for metal and heavier genres.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Thanks for the input.

I'll head out and see what I can do about torturing the ears of my fellow guitar store shoppers by comparing SSS to HSS tones; and then HSS to P90 tones. With my anemic riffs, I should have the place cleared out in no time ;-)
I have tortured both music store customers and employees alike with my slow and sloppy riffs.

I was all set to go SSS, and was leaning toward the G&L Legacy Tribute over the MIA Strat. Then I started to look a bit at G&L's z-coil p/ups. The Tribute G&L's with z-coils move me up a bit in price range, but are still comparable or less than the MIA Strat line. In a nutshell, the Z's are more versatile and noiseless than straight single coils.

I have a tin ear for nuances, so I'm asking for some opinions from folks who may have been comparing SSS setups to a Z-coil option - and which side of the fence they've fallen on.
I like the Z coils. They have a good sound but they aren't exactly like true single coils as you have discovered. I can't say I'm on one side of the fence or the other, honestly I would love to have two different guitars with each kind. Nobody likes 60 cycle hum but as you've said most noiseless single coils sound a little diffrent. If you like the SC sound and can deal wih hum to get the true vintage strat sound its the way to go. The Z coils do a very good job at sounding like real single coils whle reducing noise, so if you aren't a tone purist it would be a good option. Good luck and happy hunting.
^ yeah, z coils rock. Get the G&L Comanche. It's amazing. Best Fender guitar I've ever played. Except for one Deluxe Players Strat that was beautiful. And hugely expensive.
After much deliberation, I think the Comanche is a better way to go for the extra dollars. Now I'm torturing myself with the import (Tribute) vs. US debate. I see the US ones occasionally on ebay, though I haven't had any successful bids yet.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with either model since they both seem to be solidly built, well playing instruments.