Been playin for a few months seriously now, 3-6hrs a day on the same piece of crap squire strat I bought years ago. Thing is, the frets on this thing are nearin a point of feckedness. They are quite visibly worn and are starting to buzz unless I apply slightly more pressure which of course inhibits speed. Refretting aint really worth it on such a guitar, so I've decided to buy a new one.

Anyhow, I was just wondering about other peoples experiences of upgrading from their first guitar.........What guitar you started on, what you upgraded to, how it affected your practice, and how did it feel to be playing on something that wasn't a starter guitar.

This is the beast I'm gonna get in about 4weeks from now

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGT6EXFX
I getting this but in piano black

Been saving for ages for it and already have a nice tube amp to play her through.
I'm getting it at about 15% off RRP from guy I know in guitar shop. ( I think he just wants to be able to order it in, so he can get to try it out )
Last edited by MechMike at Aug 27, 2009,
I had my first cheap strat starter copy, and went up to an Ibanez S670FM.

Let me say, the different was AMAZING. My playing improved [as I could play easier on that instrument. Of course, years later, I can now play on my first guitar just as well].
I was just amazed at it - the neck was so much smaller, and so much better. And was very comfortable.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I started on a gear4music metal x and moved onto a washburn WI45. The jump in quality and in my playing was incredible, I had been convinced that the player makes the sound not the guitar but it is really suprising how much a difference a good quality guitar makes.

Anyways hope you enjoy your new guitar and be sure to post pics.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
well lets see... started an a washburn lyon strat copy then... i went up to a vintage gibson sg custom. yeah thats when i got serious about guitar lol. then i bought a gibson lp had that for a year then traded it for a american standard strat just recently.
i went from a squier strat package (i think it was the top model of the bunch) then upgrade to an american deluxe strat. changed my life

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Nice, keep them coming. I already was excited about upgrading, but now I feel like shootin the muck !!! .......Can't friggin wait.
Be sure to post a NGD thread, looking foward to seeing what it looks like.
I went from a cheap Asian small semi-acoustic to a pre-CBS Strat. The feel was a lot better and I started to improve dramatically. But when I traded that for a Gibson Les Paul it was like another world. Felt like that thing played itself with only a bit of guidance from me.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Going from an Electra 2242 (with it's LP baseball bat-esque neck) to the FX-400 was amazing. Thinner neck, and new, higher frets made it much easier to play.

Now we got the Electra set up and it's better than the FX. But before it was a night and day thing.
I started on a strat copy I borrowed from my boyfriend, the action was very high and the neck was slightly warped. I didn't feel inspired to play it, but since I've got my new one I haven't wanted to put it down.

Its a second-hand ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue, and it arrived on monday morning. The quality of it is unbelievable compared to the strat, and I personally think its a beautiful guitar. I'll post a pic or two if you're interested (:

Also, the Ibanez looks awesome! Please post some pictures when it arrives, I bet it'll be great to play. Congrats (:
Gear:
ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue.
Valencia acoustic.
this is the way the world ends
not with a bang, but with a whimper
Last edited by Morphina. at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by OOgly bOObly
Be sure to post a NGD thread, looking foward to seeing what it looks like.

Will do.
Quote by Morphina.
I started on a strat copy I borrowed from my boyfriend, the action was very high and the neck was slightly warped. I didn't feel inspired to play it, but since I've got my new one I haven't wanted to put it down.

Its a second-hand ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue, and it arrived on monday morning. The quality of it is unbelievable compared to the strat, and I personally think its a beautiful guitar. I'll post a pic or two if you're interested (:

Also, the Ibanez looks awesome! Please post some pictures when it arrives, I bet it'll be great to play. Congrats (:

oh yeah I saw your ngd thread, whats your opinion of the guitar now that the 'OMG, NEW GUITAR1!!11!!!' syndrome has faded?
Quote by OOgly bOObly
oh yeah I saw your ngd thread, whats your opinion of the guitar now that the 'OMG, NEW GUITAR1!!11!!!' syndrome has faded?

I have to say its fantastic.
The action is set just right, the shape isn't uncomfortable at all, it isn't too heavy and I feel extremely comfortable playing on it. My only complaint is that is neckdives, but I should be sorting that with a thicker strap, and I don't notice having to hold it up like a few people have said they do.

All in all, its a great guitar (:
Gear:
ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue.
Valencia acoustic.
this is the way the world ends
not with a bang, but with a whimper
My starter guitar was a Hohner acoustic my dad bought around 1988. It was crap then and it's crap now. It has a washer missing from the D string tuner so the peg has to rest precariously on the inside of it's hole. The E string tuner actually detunes if you pluck it even slightly hard. The neck is about as thick as Kerry Katona and the action higher than Willie Nelson. It sounds horrible and buzzes constantly.

After that I got my first electric, a Cort Zenox Z42; it's brilliant. I still love it. It's looks a bit like a Les Paul Junior with over the top carving. It has a string-thru body which isn't so great, but it does have coil tap which is uber cool. I still play it. My second electric was an Epiphone Firebird Studio, which is ok I guess. It sounds great but it's not the most comfortable thing to play.

My third electric was a Gibson SG Diablo. The difference from playing these cheaper guitars was amazing, and switching from a mid-range Epi to a high end Gibson was mind-blowing. I've never played a more comfortable, more balanced guitar. If you're wondering, the SG Diablo is basically an SG with 24 frets, a smaller, carved top body and with Burstbucker Pro pickups. The whole thing is just great and I still get blown away by its tone, even with my modelling amp.

EDIT: Forgot to add this in. I think new gear not only improves your tone, but it also motivates you a lot more to play better. I mean, you play completely differently with a low end guitar through a low end amp than you do with a high end guitar through a high end tube amp.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by Yerjam at Aug 27, 2009,
15% is the maximum ibanez dealers are allowed to offer any more than that they risk losing the dealership rights...it`s a nice model, but my personal opinion is black guitars are boring and says that you prefer to hide in the shadows and not dazzle your audience..
Quote by ibanezgod1973
15% is the maximum ibanez dealers are allowed to offer any more than that they risk losing the dealership rights...it`s a nice model, but my personal opinion is black guitars are boring and says that you prefer to hide in the shadows and not dazzle your audience..

I think the reason I'm goin for the black is because my guitar at the moment is that hideous, squier RED. Not saying red guitars aint nice, but you could spot this thing a mile away as a cheap as sh1t, super bright red squier.
It's sorta made me want a change from bright colours. And as awsomely sexy as the blue chameleon ibanez is, I think blacks the winner for me this time.

Who knows, maybe next time i'll buy one of these in neon green!!! It'd be hard not to dazzle the audience with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUCd9ZrgN4
Last edited by MechMike at Aug 27, 2009,
Got a Squier Strat. Got good enough to play Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Led Zeppelin almost flawlessly. Got a Gibson Les Paul. Can play Led Zeppelin flawlessly with awesome tone.

I got much better at guitar when I got my Les Paul. I played my strat for five years (one year seriously), and I could only play Led Zeppelin. I've been playing my Les Paul for one year, and I can play lots of Metallica, Megadeth, Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. I'm getting ready for another guitar.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Yerjam
The neck is about as thick as Kerry Katona and the action higher than Willie Nelson.

lol
Quote by ibanezgod1973

I dont think playing a black guitar means that at all. David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, just to name a few made their black guitars famous. Maybe some people would rather dazzle with their playing than dazzle with the dazzling color of their guitar. Put a beat up old strat or tele in my hands and im happier than holding some shiny tricked and blinged out artwork. They are nice to look at.
Quote by MechMike
Been playin for a few months seriously now, 3-6hrs a day on the same piece of crap squire strat I bought years ago. Thing is, the frets on this thing are nearin a point of feckedness. They are quite visibly worn and are starting to buzz unless I apply slightly more pressure which of course inhibits speed. Refretting aint really worth it on such a guitar, so I've decided to buy a new one.

Anyhow, I was just wondering about other peoples experiences of upgrading from their first guitar.........What guitar you started on, what you upgraded to, how it affected your practice, and how did it feel to be playing on something that wasn't a starter guitar.

This is the beast I'm gonna get in about 4weeks from now

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGT6EXFX
I getting this but in piano black

Been saving for ages for it and already have a nice tube amp to play her through.
I'm getting it at about 15% off RRP from guy I know in guitar shop. ( I think he just wants to be able to order it in, so he can get to try it out )

Just put the deposit down on my new guitar. Awaiting delivery. Should be collecting it in about 8-9 days.
Last edited by MechMike at Sep 1, 2009,
I started out with a "nice" metallic red Squier Affinity Strat. I loved the thing, because to me it looked just like a Fender strat and was sufficient for me to play on. I didn't know any better. The color was just right too.

The guitar search was an enlightening experience for me. I learned all about various pickup types, bridge types, all sorts of little technical things. I just wanted to be well informed when I made my choice.

I eventually went with an awesome red ESP LTD MH-401QM. I loved my strat a ton, but now imagine that love magnified immensely. The big investment I threw down for the guitar combined with it's awesome styling and incredible, beautiful red finish helped a lot. As I play it more, my love for it increases too.

It's motivated me to play more, to the point where I'm playing guitar even more than I'm gaming (unprecedented before, admittedly). I've improved a lot this summer because of this motivation, and it just feels great to play on the guitar. The Floyd Rose has opened up new possibilities for me, as well. I love being able to raise the pitch a lot, and to make divebomb and engine revving sounds. It's quite fun.

I also love the wider, thinner neck with more frets. It feels nicer because my hands are a bit bigger, though I did have to get used to the first few frets, as they feel much larger.

This has been a wonderful experience for me overall, and has increased my passion for this hobby a ton. I look forward to my next NGD, some day down the road.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Last edited by The Red Comet at Sep 1, 2009,
my first guitar was a epiphone les paul special 2, it was so **** tastic i cant even explain, but after 2 years i gota jackon rr3 and i can make that guitar my bitch any day of the week